GF watchband tops

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please follow the advice given by butcher. There is nothing to be gained by re-melting a contaminated button. It requires reprocessing in order to accomplish a meaningful improvement. Just don't get discouraged. My comments are for your own good--not to make you look any less accomplished.

I wish I had kept my first button. Not a bit better than yours, but, man, was I proud!

Harold

Harold_V said:
Please follow the advice given by butcher. There is nothing to be gained by re-melting a contaminated button. It requires reprocessing in order to accomplish a meaningful improvement. Just don't get discouraged. My comments are for your own good--not to make you look any less accomplished.

I wish I had kept my first button. Not a bit better than yours, but, man, was I proud!

Harold

Harold I kept mine and it's not too clever and needs re refining, its never going to happen, but yep I was a proud father too! 8)

H!I''m new to gold refining and to this gold forum and i just purchased a pound of gold filled of watch cases and i tried to melt down the half pound of iy into small pieces and soaked it into sulfuric acid (battery fluid acid )and sodium nitrate,and after one day of soaking it,the watch cases dissolves but it turns into like black mud and black sand,i did not see the gold at the bottom.can anyone tells me what was wrong,i know there's a lot of answered topic here,but i just want to get answer what is best for my problem right now and i'm short of money and knowledge,. can anyone help me please?any help would be appreciated.
1)what can i do next?
2)how can i get the gold from it?
3)do i need to use smb to precipitate the gold? or do i need copper since i use sulfuric acid?
4)where can i find a cheaper nitric acid?i've seen one here $100.00 for 2.5 liter,is there any cheaper than that?thanks again in advance

I'm refining gold from scrap the following way, and I got about 98-99% clear gold.
Melt the junk, and pour it into cold water to make small casting balls. The iron, zink, and most of the other metal will comes to the top. The gold and copper will be on the bottom.
pour off the water, and wash the settlement again. Mix 1/2LB of sodium nitrate with 16 oz of distilled water. keep it safe this liquid is not a danger. Using 98% sulfuric acid is.
1600 ml. baker pour 2 oz. water on you junk containing the gold, then slowly 2 oz of sulfuric acid
watch the heat if your hand can't stand the heat stop adding the sulfuric acid.
as soon the brown smoke stops start heating it. since the brown smoke coming. When it stops
let it cool a little and add hot water to it, let it settle and poor of the water keep doing it since
you get the clear water, The brown or black settlement is 99.0% gold ready to be melted.
I usually need to add the nitrate and sulfuric acid mixture 2 times and washed. with 25-30 gram
batch.

It should be noted that the process suggested by sera57 will not reliably produce fine gold. Use this process only if you aren't concerned with producing gold that does not meet industry purity standards.

Harold

Latest posts

Back