Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 75159

Anybody with experience or thorough testing of various precipitating agents that could help me determine best gold precipitation methods or agents? I have heard SMB is very good, but I've also heard about various other such as FeSO4, Na2S, Ascorbic acid, Zinc, SO2 gas, Activated Carbon. These are among the most widely used, but is there anybody with experience who knows if using something like hydrazine hydrate/sulfate/hydrochloride or hydroxylamine sulfate/hydrochloride or sodium borohydride could be superior?

Anybody with experience or thorough testing of various precipitating agents that could help me determine best gold precipitation methods or agents? I have heard SMB is very good, but I've also heard about various other such as FeSO4, Na2S, Ascorbic acid, Zinc, SO2 gas, Activated Carbon. These are among the most widely used, but is there anybody with experience who knows if using something like hydrazine hydrate/sulfate/hydrochloride or hydroxylamine sulfate/hydrochloride or sodium borohydride could be superior?
Welcome.
There are many agents for precipitating or getting your Gold out of solution.
Activated Carbon is not one of them, admittedly it will grab your Gold out of solution but it will also lock it up.
So it needs further processing and there will always be losses.
For most SMB/SO2 or FeSO4 will be the most accessible.
The degree of selectivity is also important for your choice of precipitant.

Anyway since we do not know you or your level of understanding, I recommend to study the content of these links:

Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798

Then read the safety section of the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/safety.47/

And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/dealing-with-waste.10539/

Suggested reading:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/the-library.101/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/when-in-doubt-cement-it-out.30236/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...le-read-this-before-you-post-about-ore.33333/

Forum rules is here.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

Welcome to the forum. Your question is too vague for a proper answer. Different precipitants excel with different conditions. Please describe what solutions you are trying to recover gold from and you will get more appropriate answers.

I am just trying to ask if the hydrazine or hydroxylamine is far superior of a precipitating agent than the more commonly used reagents such as the zinc or SMB, in terms of precipitating more pure gold, more efficiently precipitating the gold (no losses of unprecipitated gold) and more selectively precipitating the gold (less other metals are precipitated)

I am just trying to ask if the hydrazine or hydroxylamine is far superior of a precipitating agent than the more commonly used reagents such as the zinc or SMB, in terms of precipitating more pure gold, more efficiently precipitating the gold (no losses of unprecipitated gold) and more selectively precipitating the gold (less other metals are precipitated)
Hydrazine is as far as I know not selective, it will drop all.

Okay, thanks! And I have another, kind of a rookie question. Can SMB be used to precipitate gold from aurocyanide pregnant solutions or not? I have heard about the processes using the CIL and CIP and zinc dust, but don't know if SMB can be used too. I have only heard SMB is used to precipitate the gold from the aqua regia leachate, so just asking to be sure.

Last edited:
Gold from aqua regia I would prefer sulfur dioxide gas. Very selective and drops clean Gold.

But the book about refining has many chapters and you are being quite vague. It all depends on what metals are in solution.

Like how? How vague. I am just asking if you can use the SMB to precipitate the gold from cyanide solution containing the gold bonded to the cyanide (Au(CN)2). I am asking a specific question then why I can't get a straightforward answer? Yes, No, done. And about the book, thanks for the link, but I am not going to read 400 pages about how to fold a filter paper and learning 1st grade chemistry. I know this server is for the whole public, so you have to teach anybody the safety so it's not on you and etc. but sorry definitely not reading that.

Okay, thanks! And I have another, kind of a rookie question. Can SMB be used to precipitate gold from aurocyanide pregnant solutions or not? I have heard about the processes using the CIL and CIP and zinc dust, but don't know if SMB can be used too. I have only heard SMB is used to precipitate the gold from the aqua regia leachate, so just asking to be sure.
No it is acidic, you really DO NOT want to mix acids and Cyanides if you plan to stay alive.
Cip and Cil are Active Carbon which binds the Gold inside the Carbon. It has to be extracted fom the Carbon later.
Some prefer Zinc/Aluminum cementing in stead.

No it is acidic, you really DO NOT want to mix acids and Cyanides if you plan to stay alive.
Cip and Cil are Active Carbon which binds the Gold inside the Carbon. It has to be extracted fom the Carbon later.
Some prefer Zinc/Aluminum cementing in stead.
Thanks!

Like how? How vague. I am just asking if you can use the SMB to precipitate the gold from cyanide solution containing the gold bonded to the cyanide (Au(CN)2). I am asking a specific question then why I can't get a straightforward answer? Yes, No, done. And about the book, thanks for the link, but I am not going to read 400 pages about how to fold a filter paper and learning 1st grade chemistry. I know this server is for the whole public, so you have to teach anybody the safety so it's not on you and etc. but sorry definitely not reading that.
So why shall we bother to answer rookie questions when you are not willing to do some in your end too?

Your questions indicate that you have large gaps in your understanding, so Hokes book is minimum.
There are by the way very little paper folding and significant practical chemistry, if you had bothered to look that is.

Anybody with experience or thorough testing of various precipitating agents that could help me determine best gold precipitation methods or agents?
This is what you started with, gold from solutions. No specifics. And when asked you didn't get specific. That kind of lack of specificity can get you killed. Refining is not something to be taken lightly, mixing the wrong chemicals can kill you.
I have a better idea, I will just make a mental note and ignore your posts. I don't need attitude at this point in my life.

Yeah refining isn't something to be taken lightly, I understand and I know that cause I've already worked with various lethal substances such as piranha solution, aqua regia, bromine and etc. But the point I have is I am just asking a specific answer and getting bullied for just asking in a weird way because I am just a rookie trying to expand my knowledge. So why don't you get rid of that ego and help others

Just to add to this.
SMB needs to be used in highly acidic solutions.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
Yeah refining isn't something to be taken lightly, I understand and I know that cause I've already worked with various lethal substances such as piranha solution, aqua regia, bromine and etc. But the point I have is I am just asking a specific answer and getting bullied for just asking in a weird way because I am just a rookie trying to expand my knowledge. So why don't you get rid of that ego and help others
Read this thread please;
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...ion-and-get-a-simple-answer.21412/post-220959

Yeah, good thread, also good reply by the first dude, why didn't you do that, that's like the most simple and best thing to do

I don't know, this server is weird ass server I'm leaving. Bro the questions as the examples on the thread from the safety like : How much nitric acid is needed per Oz of silver, that question CAN be very easily answered, just find the stoichometry of the reactions and calculate it for the dude, there isn't any other reason to not answer that question that simply. The dangers are on him (you should have it in your policy or terms and rules). The question for example about the mixing of AR so you don't kill yourself, well there isn't a way, you just can't change the chemistry, you just gotta have a fume hood and be well-equipped, and if you don't have that, then you in the wrong environment for all that and you shouldn't do this. Yes, gold extraction and refining IS dangerous, but that doesn't mean I just can't get an answer about best precipitating agent from aurocyanide solution (how more specific could that possibly be???).

about best precipitating agent from aurocyanide solution (how more specific could that possibly be???).
Well he is gone, asked to be removed from membership. Ironically if he actually asked the question by saying what he was dealing with, the way he did in his whining exit, he would have gotten a good answer.

Well he is gone, asked to be removed from membership. Ironically if he actually asked the question by saying what he was dealing with, the way he did in his whining exit, he would have gotten a good answer.
Thank you.

Back