Gold Recovery Help(Sodium Bisulphite not doing its thing)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kernels said:
And this is why it's hard to get a nice detailed answer to a question on this forum. Someone with zero experience asks a question, you give them a detailed step-by-step answer, then they decide that they actually know better. :lol:

No kernels!
I'm very grateful for your step by step!Really!
Please don't let my misunderstood comment stop you from helping other people,because you clearly have lots of experience,from what I can gather.

To be absolutely honest,other projects have caught up with me and I do not have a whole day to stand around and monitor the evaporation,I might in a while,but I want to finish this as fast as possible due to vapors in my garage.
Again thank you for the step by step,I will definitely use it,this time or next!

Innos,
Boiling the hell out of it will splatter it all over the place. But evaporating at a moderate temperature as directed will not lose your gold.
[/quote]

:D now I know.
Topher_osAUrus said:
OP whay do you mean by use 14k then purify with copper chloride later?

I have some jewelry I meant to purify,turn into 24 carat powder,they are 14 carat pieces,thats why I meant purifying the rest of the metals with copper chloride after the precipitation,however from what I can remember SMB precipitation is gold(and platinum?)specific so this might be unneccesary then?All in all I suggest that maybe I could drop some jewerly pieces into the AR,to dennox.

Gonna put up the photos now.

photos: http://pho.to/AEEKg
I ordered sulfamic to dennox and stannous to test,it will take awhile though.

Innos said:
kernels said:
And this is why it's hard to get a nice detailed answer to a question on this forum. Someone with zero experience asks a question, you give them a detailed step-by-step answer, then they decide that they actually know better. :lol:

No kernels!
I'm very grateful for your step by step!Really!
Please don't let my misunderstood comment stop you from helping other people,because you clearly have lots of experience,from what I can gather.

To be absolutely honest,other projects have caught up with me and I do not have a whole day to stand around and monitor the evaporation,I might in a while,but I want to finish this as fast as possible due to vapors in my garage.
Again thank you for the step by step,I will definitely use it,this time or next!

Innos,
Boiling the hell out of it will splatter it all over the place. But evaporating at a moderate temperature as directed will not lose your gold.

:D now I know.
Topher_osAUrus said:
OP whay do you mean by use 14k then purify with copper chloride later?

I have some jewelry I meant to purify,turn into 24 carat powder,they are 14 carat pieces,thats why I meant purifying the rest of the metals with copper chloride after the precipitation,however from what I can remember SMB precipitation is gold(and platinum?)specific so this might be unneccesary then?All in all I suggest that maybe I could drop some jewerly pieces into the AR,to dennox.

Gonna put up the photos now.[/quote]
Its ok, if you have other things to do. During evaporation process.
As I'm myself am very freash to the gold recovery scean. My first run of a pregnant solution I added a little to much nitric. It's not like evaporating water, just turn it on and let it boil. You put it on at a slight simmer, so you don't boil off your gold. (from what I was told) At this rate of evaporation you can do pretty much whatever you want. As long as it's done in a safe place away from children and pets and secure. I went to work and came home to still have to wait some more. Maybe I had the heat to low. But it work out. As much as I want to watch it all happen. It takes time. If you get in to much of a hurry you will loose values and cause can problems. Relax and take it slow. Waiting for it to evap isn't that bad and it saves a buck on the use safulmic.
I got in a hurry and I believe I lost at least 3g of Au. Not anymore. If I loose anyone it will be from some other stupid mistake.

No worries Innos, I very much enjoy helping people every day, but unfortunately I'm not anywhere near as experienced as some people on this site !

I suggested evaporation instead of Sulfamic / Urea for denoxxing for two reasons -> 1 - By doing the evaporation, you are not introducing any more chemicals into the mix. 2 - I have not had ANY luck with denoxxing with either Sulfamic or Urea, I have tried both and both times I ended up with gold not dropping from solution because of Nitric still in solution.

Maybe one of the forum member that actually successfully denoxxes solutions with Sulfamic can do a demo video for us ? ? ?

Yes, that is quite a lot of acid, but really, all of us used way too much acid on our first attempt, and most of us probably still do.

kernels said:
Maybe one of the forum member that actually successfully denoxxes solutions with Sulfamic can do a demo video for us ? ? ?

I have Urea.Stannous Chloride and sulfamic acid are coming in the mail within a week I hope.
Maybe I'll be that forum member :D

Ill try to dennox with urea and sulfamic acid.

If it doesnt work ill use the evaporation method

myfalconry76,unfortunately,or maybe fortunately,Im paranoid as far as safety measures are concerned and I cannot leave anything that produces heat unsupervised for longer periods,especially if that heat source is boiling chemicals...

Platdigger said:
This is just a thought, but, if it is possible to break down plastic with nitric or AR,
you now would have petroleum products also in solution.

Yeah the process was such that plastic had to be dissolved,Im guessing around 15 grams of plastic,maybe more maybe less.So its quite possible,you just gotta boil the hell out of it and then let it sit for a day and its gone.

How do petroleum products affect my solution?

Any comments on the pictures?
The color difference yellow-green is intriguing,any guesses?

Innos said:
Platdigger said:
This is just a thought, but, if it is possible to break down plastic with nitric or AR,
you now would have petroleum products also in solution.

Yeah the process was such that plastic had to be dissolved,Im guessing around 15 grams of plastic,maybe more maybe less.So its quite possible,you just gotta boil the hell out of it and then let it sit for a day and its gone.

How do petroleum products affect my solution?

Any comments on the pictures?
The color difference yellow-green is intriguing,any guesses?

For the majority of processing applications you need to take boiling out of your vocabulary and have the patience to evaporate or heat solutions.

Barren Realms 007 said:
For the majority of processing applications you need to take boiling out of your vocabulary and have the patience to evaporate or heat solutions.

Thats logical,however,the plastic wasnt budging so I increased the temperature which did the job.

kernels said:

There is a member who has done this already.

Geo made a video not too long ago.
Theres also a good thread by Göran where it talks about sulfamic and has links to almost every thread mentioning it

This is the sulfamic thread http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=23767

Göran

Hello everyone,again :D
Sulfamic finally arrived(took it long enough),I added it and it had zero reaction,no fizzing,nothing,it did dissolve by itself over time so I guess that's alright.
Interestingly enough,after I added it the colour of the solution changed to brownish-red.
I tested the ph,got some strange results,before sulfamic it was 6.5,afterwards around 4.5.
Took a 75 ml sample and added a lot of metabisulphate to test if anything will happen.The reaction was very strong,lots of foaming and fizzing and an instant colour change to brown,which did not happen before(denoxxing).Pictures attached.
I'm currently waiting to see what happens after 48 hours in the sample and then I'll drop metabisulphate in the whole thing(if you guys agree,maybe you have some other great tips like sulfamic :D )
Also one more thing,theres platinum in that solution and some other stuff which is why I didn't like the idea of evaporation,forgot to mention that.

Attachments

• 20160812_181157.jpg
    20160812_181157.jpg
    3 MB
  • 20160812_181223.jpg
    20160812_181223.jpg
    5.3 MB
  • 20160812_181225.jpg
    20160812_181225.jpg
    4.9 MB
  • 20160812_181846.jpg
    20160812_181846.jpg
    4.6 MB
  • 20160812_181910.jpg
    20160812_181910.jpg
    4.2 MB
Innos said:
Took a 75 ml sample and added a lot of [stt]metabisulphate[/stt] to test if anything will happen.

I'm currently waiting to see what happens after 48 hours in the sample and then I'll drop [stt]metabisulphate[/stt] in the whole thing

Metabisulf-ITE

Sometimes it takes a little time to get the proper word memorized. I kept spelling it wrong, so I put it in my signature "in song form" :lol:

Grelko said:
Innos said:
Took a 75 ml sample and added a lot of [stt]metabisulphate[/stt] to test if anything will happen.

I'm currently waiting to see what happens after 48 hours in the sample and then I'll drop [stt]metabisulphate[/stt] in the whole thing

Metabisulf-ITE

Sometimes it takes a little time to get the proper word memorized. I kept spelling it wrong, so I put it in my signature "in song form" :lol:

Hahaha,entertaining response.Thanks I'll definitely memorize it now :D

Innos there's a whole world of mistyping out there for you to find in refining!

Wait till you confuse Dimethylglycine (known as DMG) with Dimethylglyoxime (the right DMG for Palladium/Nickel testing) and end up scratching your head....

anachronism said:
Innos there's a whole world of mistyping out there for you to find in refining!

Wait till you confuse Dimethylglycine (known as DMG) with Dimethylglyoxime (the right DMG for Palladium/Nickel testing) and end up scratching your head....

Haha thanks for the tip,I'll need it because I'll do the palladium extraction as well
However,when I'm ordering chemicals i triple check,no money and time to waste.

But back to the topic :D ,considering theres a bunch of almost literal crap in my AR such as copper,nickel,lead and whatnot,Will the SMB drop pure gold or will i have to further refine.
Also any tips that are not obvious to the newbies?

Moderator's Note: Please keep your posts at a G level on our forum. A spelling/grammar checker, as well as the Preview button, are also recommended before you press the Submit button on a post. Please keep in mind that many of our members have to use translation software to read the forum, and spelling and grammatical errors make that effort even more difficult. We understand that everyone makes an occasional mistake, but we ask that you make your best effort.

FrugalRefiner

Innos said:
But back to the topic :D ,considering theres a bunch of almost literal crap in my AR such as copper,nickel,lead and whatnot,Will the SMB drop pure gold or will i have to further refine.
I would drop it with SMB, then do your washes, then being that your gold is in powder form I would dissolve it with HCl and bleach to refine it again. Then redrop and do your washes.

Rusty

:twisted:
Innos said:

SMB will work pretty selectively, but you should convert the lead to lead sulfate with sulfuric acid so you can filter it out. Copperas is very selective as well, and is better to use in dirty solutions, since SMB can precipitate copper out as well.

A second refine is always a good idea. Switching precipitation methods helps remove pesky problem metals that follow the gold.

Latest posts

Back