Gold Recovery Help(Sodium Bisulphite not doing its thing)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Tofer point out copperas or ferrous II sulphate as it's known in europe is better for really dirty solutions. Then use SMB for a proper refine. One thing though- copperas will still bring some copper down, and a good wash between refines never hurt anyone.

Hmmmm - I am sorry I missed this thread until now (just been to busy to read everything on the forum let alone post replies) but I can't help but wonder why in the world no one solved this problem in the beginning by telling Innos to simple cement his solution with copper (in order to "recover" his gold from a very dirty solution that had free nitric in it) & then get him headed down the right path to "refine" the cemented recovered gold

Its been 3 weeks & 4 days now since he first posted his problem & he has "just now" recovered his gold (based on what I see in the first two pics) which means he still needs to "refine" it

Had he been told to cement it with copper at the beginning - & then been instructed to refine it - with ether HCl/Cl or AR using drop by drop additions of nitric (so as not to end up with free nitric that needs de-noxxing) he could by now be showing us a nice gold button

And another thing - why has no one suggested that Innos read Hokes so as to get a more clear understanding of the refining process - such as - learning to make & use stannous to test his solution for gold (&/or PGMs) etc. etc. etc. --- (I did not read every post in this thread so maybe someone did instruct him to read Hokes & I just missed it)

Anyway - don't mean to sound harsh - but :?: - just wondering why with all the knowledgeable members we have on this forum Innos is not showing us a refined gold button - after 3 weeks & 4 days --- when the problem could have been solved on day one (cement with copper) to "recover" the gold - & by the end of the first week he could have been showing us a nice melted "refined" button

Again - I apologize for not catching this thread until now

Kurt

At pH 6.5 you don't have a lot free nitric or any acid at all. Try add some hydrochloric acid to the mix. This will convert any nitrates into nitric acid so the sulfamic acid can work... if there is any nitrates left.

Same goes for SMB, it only works in acidic environment where it breaks down to create the SO2 that precipitates the gold.

And start with small tests at first so you don't make a big mess.

Göran

kurtak said:
Hmmmm - I am sorry I missed this thread until now (just been to busy to read everything on the forum let alone post replies) but I can't help but wonder why in the world no one solved this problem in the beginning by telling Innos to simple cement his solution with copper (in order to "recover" his gold from a very dirty solution that had free nitric in it) & then get him headed down the right path to "refine" the cemented recovered gold

Its been 3 weeks & 4 days now since he first posted his problem & he has "just now" recovered his gold

Had he been told to cement it with copper at the beginning - & then been instructed to refine it - with ether HCl/Cl or AR using drop by drop additions of nitric

And another thing - why has no one suggested that Innos read Hokes so as to get a more clear understanding of the refining process - such as - learning to make & use stannous to test his solution for gold (&/or PGMs) etc.

Anyway - don't mean to sound harsh - but :?: - just wondering why with all the knowledgeable members we have on this forum Innos is not showing us a refined gold button - after 3 weeks & 4 days --- when the problem could have been solved on day one (cement with copper) to "recover" the gold - & by the end of the first week he could have been showing us a nice melted "refined" button
Kurt

Alright well I guess a defensive argument is in order since I may seem spoiled and bratty by seemingly refusing to read Hokes book and just ask for specific instructions.
I've downloaded Hokes book as soon as it was suggested,great book,but it is old,and I believed there might be some more relevant information provided by experienced people,those who willed to do so.I have not read the whole thing,only small sections,those I deemed important.I'm working on another project that has a deadline in September and that's where i spend most of my time,Any free time is spent on gold recycling.
Also,I waited about 2 weeks for sulfamic,I had urea,but members suggested sulfamic and after reading on it I decided that's the best course of action(I have lead in my solution).

I'm greatly appreciative on all the help I've been given,I must say I am shocked,as this must be one of the best and most helpful communities on the internet(and that is very important since it includes work with dangerous chemicals)

I intend on reading the WHOLE forum and Hokes,as soon as I finish my other project,and intend to help people,just as others are helping me.

Stannous has not arrived,Ive ordered a reship and awaiting it anxiously.

Also I've missed the whole copper thing,it sounds useful and exactly what I need but it seems I missed it :?
Must be in Hokes,I will find it.

Also a question,does anybody have experimental knowledge as which ph is best for adding SMB(a member said acidic,but that is a broad area :D )

rewalston said:
Innos said:
But back to the topic :D ,considering theres a bunch of almost literal crap in my AR such as copper,nickel,lead and whatnot,Will the SMB drop pure gold or will i have to further refine.
Also any tips that are not obvious to the newbies?
I would drop it with SMB, then do your washes, then being that your gold is in powder form I would dissolve it with HCl and bleach to refine it again. Then redrop and do your washes.

Rusty

I was considering this,only instead of HCl and bleach,doing the AR all over again,and doing it right this time.
But HCl and bleach sounds more tempting,simpler.

anachronism said:
As Tofer point out copperas or ferrous II sulphate as it's known in europe is better for really dirty solutions. Then use SMB for a proper refine. One thing though- copperas will still bring some copper down, and a good wash between refines never hurt anyone.

I'm ordering it right now,if I dont use it now I surely will use it next time :D

Innos as your gold is in powder form the HCl and bleach will dissolve it easier and there is no NOx that has to be removed, just heat the solution to drive off excess bleach, or let it sit a day to let it gas off.

Rusty

rewalston said:
Innos as your gold is in powder form the HCl and bleach will dissolve it easier and there is no NOx that has to be removed, just heat the solution to drive off excess bleach, or let it sit a day to let it gas off.

Rusty

Excellent tip,I will definitely do that then.
(but I appreciate the advice for the ferreous 2 sulphate :D )

Just an interesting bit of information,When i added the SMB before denoxxing(I know stupid rookie mistake)
The next day I had two layers:eek:n top gold,bottom dark green,opposite of what happened to Goran I think(found an old thread).Could this be just due to high level of impurities OR not enough SMB :D :D (or both).

Latest posts

Back