Gold testing

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Topher_osAUrus said:
rioux said:
it suppose to be 995 gold

Gold is 19 times heavier than water... There are less than ten elements that are more dense than it
Uranium 18.95
Tungsten 19.25
Gold 19.282
Roentgenium >19.282
Plutonium 19.84
Neptunium 20.25
Rhenium 21.02
Platinum 21.46
Darmstadtium >21.46
Osmium 22.610
Iridium 22.650
Seaborgium 35 (Estimate)
Meitnerium 35 (Estimate)
Bohrium 37 (Estimate)
Dubnium 39 (Estimate)
Hassium 41 (Estimate)
(from http://chemistry.about.com/od/elementfacts/a/elementdensity.htm)

So, if its 995, why would they put anything in it that is more dense?...id use copper or silver to lower from 4 nines to 995... But, maybe you have a kind soul seller... Doubtful.

What are you comparing it to when testing it?

Did you get a whole testing kit?
Did it have different karat testing needles?
How long have you had it?
How are you testing the density exactly? Is your graduated cylinder accurate? Is your scale? ...a couple mL and tenths of a gram make quite a difference ive found.. First graduated cylinder i bought ended up being 15 mL off...
7 of the elements listed are man-made and essentially don't exist except in quantities of a few atoms and then, for only a few minutes. Except for Dubnium, the half-lives are less than 2 minutes. 3 are radioactive. Only 6 of these will anyone likely ever see in bulk form - Au, W, Re, Pt, Os, Ir

yep i dident look at this but i dont have trouble to belive you... some should be done whit cnrs lol

so its an interesting link anyway to see whats is harder than gold... in g/cm3 is a easy mesurement for almost... :shock:

rioux said:
so its an interesting link anyway to see whats is harder than gold... in g/cm3 is a easy mesurement for almost... :shock:
Has nothing to do with hardness. Density or specific gravity is weight or mass per unit volume.

rioux said:
No i dont have copperas i just have smb. But i have some ferrous board etchan for electronics but i dont think is the same than copperas
Your etchant is probably ferric chloride (FeCl3).

If you're not familiar with the -ic and -ous in chemistry, ferric refers to Iron(III) compounds and ferrous refers to Iron(II). In general, when a metal can have two different charges or valences, -ous refers to the lower valence (e.g. stannous chloride) and -ic refers to the higher one. Modern international usage apparently just prefers listing the charge instead of the Latin suffix (i.e., Iron(III) Chloride instead of Ferric Chloride).

goldsilverpro said:
7 of the elements listed are man-made and essentially don't exist except in quantities of a few atoms and then, for only a few minutes. Except for Dubnium, the half-lives are less than 2 minutes. 3 are radioactive. Only 6 of these will anyone likely ever see in bulk form - Au, W, Re, Pt, Os, Ir

I know, i just copied and pasted the information and forgot to omit the manmade elements before i used my abacus to count them. :oops:

OP- you could use the ideal that 1cm3 of gold is 19.3g and do the math to figure out how much 1g of gold would be... But... If it were me, id just dissolve it all. Precipitate the gold and see whats left.

Edit to add:
Op- if you dont have a scratchstone...do you have an unglazed porcelain dish? Like the back of a spot plate? Or an old ceramic cpu that you have processed? I have read on here of people using both of those for a touchstone

Latest posts

Back