Hammond L102 Organ

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didnt have any of those wooden foot pedals. Just one black metal foot pedal. didn't see any PM's in it.

I didn't actually get the whole orgin just these part of it. I was told it was made in the mid to late 50s

Kurt

Attachments

• orgin points.jpg
    orgin points.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 483
kurt said:
I didn't actually get the whole orgin just these part of it. I was told it was made in the mid to late 50s

Kurt

That would probably be an M-2 or M-3. If you got both keypad sections with the bussbars and contacts, you should get about 2 dwt of palladium.

Jim

Looks like 44 keys per section, so maybe a little less than that, I will have to check my notes to see if M-2s and M-3s had 61 or 44 keys per section.

Jim
Edit to add;

M-2s and M-3s had 44 keys per section, so 2 dwt of palladium guess should be good.

http://www.jackhollow.co.uk/hammond/modellist/index.html

I am picking up another Hammond this weekend. I am not sure of the model number, but free is free. 8) If nothing else, I still get free copper wire from it.

I picked up a two Hammond organs this week quite by accident. One was from my step-father who had to make room for another Hammond organ he got from a local funeral home. While researching what I had, I came across an ad for the exact same model to be given away, so I grabbed that one too! (Thanks to jimdoc for the advise)
Both are Model F-2000, which is after they went to the transistor style. I will post on the results from the tear-down of these two units as I have time to work on them. All I've done so far is gut the carcasses, separate the electronics from all the wire, and salvage some of the parts my step-father wants. (Leslie motors and cross-overs)

I should note for all of you that are taking these Hammonds apart that, in addition to the tubes mentioned in earlier posts, the mechanical tone generators are sought after by rebuilders of Hammond organs commanding in the range of $400.00! (I'm told) The sound quality of these units are prized by R&B organ players worldwide, especially the B-3's. Taking a sledgehammer to these is sacrilege of the highest order! (I happen to love blues organ wailing from a Leslie speaker; in case you hadn't guessed. :mrgreen: )

I have a Hammond M3 you can have for free if you come pick it up this weekend. Just kidding....I guess you don't want to drive down to Missouri from Canada to pick one up. i guess I will have to scrap it. Gotta love free organs on Craigslist. They just keep coming, and I keep getting them.

Golddigger Greg said:
Go figure! I found another free one that I pick up tomorrow night. This one is a 1965, but the lady has no idea what model; just that it has a mahogany finish. Fingers crossed! :mrgreen:

I guess an M-3, but maybe an M-2.
They seem to have been very popular.

Jim

It's a J-111, and verrry dirty inside! No mechanical tone generator, Leslie, drawbars, or any of those really cool white/gold eproms that I can see. :cry: I will keep all the stuff from this one separate as well for yield comparisons.
Edit: I processed the copper contacts from the keyboards from this unit at the same time as the F2000's, using the same methods but instead of using heated reactions, I processed these at ambiant temperatures using a HCl soak for two days, then adding ~100ml CuCl to soak for an additional 2 days. The wires were left (mostly) intact by this method, and yielded .25g Pd wire/powder after washes, filtering, and drying.

Golddigger Greg said:
I picked up a two Hammond organs this week quite by accident. One was from my step-father who had to make room for another Hammond organ he got from a local funeral home. While researching what I had, I came across an ad for the exact same model to be given away, so I grabbed that one too! (Thanks to jimdoc for the advise)
Both are Model F-2000, which is after they went to the transistor style. I will post on the results from the tear-down of these two units as I have time to work on them. All I've done so far is gut the carcasses, separate the electronics from all the wire, and salvage some of the parts my step-father wants. (Leslie motors and cross-overs)

I should note for all of you that are taking these Hammonds apart that, in addition to the tubes mentioned in earlier posts, the mechanical tone generators are sought after by rebuilders of Hammond organs commanding in the range of $400.00! (I'm told) The sound quality of these units are prized by R&B organ players worldwide, especially the B-3's. Taking a sledgehammer to these is sacrilege of the highest order! (I happen to love blues organ wailing from a Leslie speaker; in case you hadn't guessed. :mrgreen: )
I had some time today to compare the two F2000' foot pedal assemblies. On one the contact housings are marked 'Acetone', the others' are unmarked. The Acetone marked contacts yielded .48g and the unmarked yielded .30g from the same number of contacts. The Acetone's came from Serial# series EGxxxxx, whereas the unmarked came from Serial# series FHxxxxx.
Added: In addition to the contacts recovered from the foot pedal assemblies, I trimmed the copper contact points (10.6g) from the keyboards from the two units and hard boiled them in 300ml HCl, with very little reaction over two days. So I added ~150ml CuCl to the reaction and hard boiled it for about 3 hours and let it cool. I filtered and washed the solids, and re-boiled in ~150ml fresh HCl for another hour. After washing and filtering, the end result was .56g of grey Pd powder.

I'm very curious...

I don't know what model or how old the hammond I discovered dumped in the alley way is, but I do know that the wire harness from the tone generator alone so far has yielded 13.5 grams... and I'm not even halfway finished removing the white cloth jackets from what remains...

DarkspARCS said:
I'm very curious...

I don't know what model or how old the hammond I discovered dumped in the alley way is, but I do know that the wire harness from the tone generator alone so far has yielded 13.5 grams... and I'm not even halfway finished removing the white cloth jackets from what remains...

DarkspARCS, 13.5 grams of what? PD? I have a question about the white cloth jackets....I have tested the wire under them, and I have mixed results. What kind of metal have you tested it as?

The only palladium will be the thin wires tack welded onto the end of the contacts, and along the bussbars where they make contact.

Jim

Well, the 6th time is the charm! After 5 fairly dud-ish organs, I finally scored a Hammond L133! It has the mechanical tone generator, full drawbars and palladium contact wire on the bussbars, and lots of vacuum tubes! It was free, but came with a cost in that my wife had to help carry it down a flight of stairs from the ladies' apartment. She certainly raised some eyebrows as this ~100lb woman hoisted one end of a ~300lb organ! :shock: She must like me because she's been there for all 6, although she's told me if we ever come across a G-1, I'm on my own! (They weigh in at 545lbs!)

I hope you guys are checking the re-sale value of these Hammonds as complete organs. Anything in the B-series would be sacrilege to scrap.

Auggie said:
I hope you guys are checking the re-sale value of these Hammonds as complete organs. Anything in the B-series would be sacrilege to scrap.
:lol: You're singing to the choir in my case! The tear-down of this unit will probably take me twice as long as the last 5; the various parts are ear-marked for my B3-playing stepfather. Dibs on any that he doesn't want go to another Hammond parts guy I met online. I just get the palladium....,aww shucks!

As I was taking apart the L133 tonight I noticed that the top tab assembly was different than any I'd run across before, and lo and behold I found some more Pd wire! Here is a picture of the type I'd seen before, which I suspect to be silver, but still need confirm with Schwerters' solution:Slide type.jpg
And here is a picture of one of the tab assemblies from the L133:L133 style.jpg
And finally, a close-up of the contact wires. There is also a single piece of Pd wire tacked horizontally onto the backside of the brass piece.L133 Pd contacts.jpg

Latest posts

Back