Hello, New to Forum

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solomonJ

Found this forum and signed up right away. Glad I found it. Have a small chuck of scrap a friend gave me some time ago and some flake. Interested in refining it and see where it goes from there.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0
There is not much we can suggest from the photo you posted. What do you expect is in there and how big is it? What makes you so sure it is precious metal? The more you tell us the more we can help you process this mystery load.

Thank you for providing a pathway. Its about a troy oz, and it is not magnetic in any way. As I was cleaning it, it came apart in two so I cleaned one side. Here are the close ups. I can see some copper is present. However, a flake/leaf I attempted to pull of earlier took a bit of effort. I had to twist it back a forth a number of times before it came loose. Very malleable.

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 0
What makes you think your lump of metal has any values?
It’s possible that it’s just brass.
Please see my 9:08 PM post and it sure shines and acts like gold, not like brass. I guess a test xrf or refining will determine exactly what it is. Further, I used to work at a machine shop and I know how brass acts, and the pictures don't do the colors justice.

A simple acid test kit may well give you answers , if this is a one time attempt to refine unless you have a decent amount of gold there the costs could well be more than the value you recover, did your friend tell you where he got this from as this may give us some idea of what you have.

Please see my 9:08 PM post and it sure shines and acts like gold, not like brass. I guess a test xrf or refining will determine exactly what it is. Further, I used to work at a machine shop and I know how brass acts, and the pictures don't do the colors justice.
Welcome to us Solomon.
As Nick says, is this the only one you will come across?
If this indeed is Gold, my guess is that it's value will be many times the Gold value just as it is today.

A proper cleaning, and I mean no abrasive and so on.

So find a pawn shop, jewler or anyone in the we buy Gold sector and have it tested with XRF.
If it is Gold and after having it cleaned you can contact the collectors around to see what they will pay.
It all depends on the actual content.

A simple acid test kit may well give you answers , if this is a one time attempt to refine unless you have a decent amount of gold there the costs could well be more than the value you recover, did your friend tell you where he got this from as this may give us some idea of what you have.
Friend never told me, and thanks for the tip. I tested it out on four areas (12K). 2 of the 4 dissolved away, the others remained. So it appears to be a mix

Latest posts

Back