Help with potential profits of RAM scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.

I used a normal glass flower vase to put the PE bottle in.
Is this good enough for 30% HCl or should I use a beaker instead?
They will work fine. I would suggest using the straight walled ones versus those with the wide mouth as they seemed a bit stronger when banged against something such as another vase. Be very cautious if you heat them though they don't deal with heat very well. But, they do decent if you keep the temperature down to a coffee maker level.

Thanks.

I used a normal glass flower vase to put the PE bottle in.
Is this good enough for 30% HCl or should I use a beaker instead?
Pyrex or borosilicate is best, but as long as you keep it in another bigger bucket as a catch basin you should be ok.

Pyrex or borosilicate is best, but as long as you keep it in another bigger bucket as a catch basin you should be ok.
That is not the case. The HCl is directly in the glass. But I will replace it with a 1 liter beaker to be safe

They will work fine. I would suggest using the straight walled ones versus those with the wide mouth as they seemed a bit stronger when banged against something such as another vase. Be very cautious if you heat them though they don't deal with heat very well. But, they do decent if you keep the temperature down to a coffee maker level.
I don't apply extra heat but this was the only vase I had and it has a wide opening. But again I suppose I better replace it for a beaker just to be safe. I don't want any spills there and since I am only checking once a day this would be a better option

That is not the case. The HCl is directly in the glass. But I will replace it with a 1 liter beaker to be safe
Yes, but we always recommend catch basins so if a beaker or other vessel cracks or breaks the solution will be contained.

Yes, but we always recommend catch basins so if a beaker or other vessel cracks or breaks the solution will be contained.
Thats a great tip. I will get a plastic bowl from the store. Already replaced the vase with a beaker

Thats a great tip. I will get a plastic bowl from the store. Already replaced the vase with a beaker
Better yet, find a pyroceram (Corningware) dish at a yard sale or a thrift store. I can find them for a dollar or two at yard / garage sales. They can withstand extreme temperature changes. They have served me well.

Dave

I believe you can find the pictures of the prints on the corningware pyroceram online for the right stuff.
And pyrex you should look for is PYREX printed in capitol letters.
If the logo is in upper case lettering, PYREX, it's most likely made of borosilicate.

Also watch for Pyrex marked as "stove top safe" otherwise it may break easily on a hotplate or stove eye. Some later Corningware is marked this way also, while it does a good job it isn't quite as good as the older stuff.

Edit: bad spell check

So almost a week in now and some fingers came off within a couple of days. Some still stay on there quiet firmly.
I was thinking, what if I add hydrogen peroxide, does the amount of H2O2 speed up the process and does adding more H2O2 speed up the process more?

I am aware that this may result in gold into the solution but can someone tell me what the disadvantages are if there is gold in the solution?
Can I cement it out selectively with more reactive metals or isn't this as straight forward as it seems to be?

So almost a week in now and some fingers came off within a couple of days. Some still stay on there quiet firmly.
I was thinking, what if I add hydrogen peroxide, does the amount of H2O2 speed up the process and does adding more H2O2 speed up the process more?

I am aware that this may result in gold into the solution but can someone tell me what the disadvantages are if there is gold in the solution?
Can I cement it out selectively with more reactive metals or isn't this as straight forward as it seems to be?
I will respond to the adding of peroxide. If you do add peroxide, my experience, I add about a teaspoon at a time. Depending on color of solution. And be patient.

Do you have an air bubbler in there?

I will respond to the adding of peroxide. If you do add peroxide, my experience, I add about a teaspoon at a time. Depending on color of solution. And be patient.
Another " trick" if you are able to heat the solution/ material will help. Heat to approximately 150 degrees Fahrenheit. One thing I was told, a person needs to be able to " watch it". For a few reasons.

Another " trick" if you are able to heat the solution/ material will help. Heat to approximately 150 degrees Fahrenheit. One thing I was told, a person needs to be able to " watch it". For a few reasons.
Heating is not an option. I want to try heating as well but then I plan to use Nitric Acid to dissolve the metals but that's a project for later on.

Do you have an air bubbler in there?
Yes I have air bubbling in there. I want to give it another week but I also want to know the cons of dissolving gold into solution with this method.
Can you elaborate a little on that?

Yes I have air bubbling in there. I want to give it another week but I also want to know the cons of dissolving gold into solution with this method.
Can you elaborate a little on that?
There is no need for extra Peroxide then.
The reason for adding more Peroxide is to give the solution access to some extra Oxygen, which is what the air bubbler do already.

Latest posts

Back