Help with reverse electro plating

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super cheap method is to allow the concentrated acid to settle for 24-48 hours and carefully (with all necessary PPE in place) Decant off the majority of the concentrated acid only. Gold will be black sludge in bottom. Dilute by adding sludge and remaining acid to 3-5x volumes of water, allow to cool and filter with normal filter setup. Process filter papers and sludge in AR as normal.

Steve
OK so my only issue is that I don't have nitric acid on hand. I am using HCL + Bleach at a ratio of 3:1. I started with 300ml of HCL at 28% and 100ml of Clorox bleach. Has anyone ever had any luck with this method of dissolving gold nanoparticles into solution to create gold chloride? How long does it take? I even went as far as boiling the solution until the chlorine gas that's created destroyed my single burner. I have all of the sludge right now contained into a container that's diluted with 6 parts water. What is my best method of turning this sludge nanoparticles (purplish in color) into a solid gold bullion bar? Again I need a straight forward process that doesn't involve the use of nitric acid

OK so my only issue is that I don't have nitric acid on hand. I am using HCL + Bleach at a ratio of 3:1. I started with 300ml of HCL at 28% and 100ml of Clorox bleach. Has anyone ever had any luck with this method of dissolving gold nanoparticles into solution to create gold chloride? How long does it take? I even went as far as boiling the solution until the chlorine gas that's created destroyed my single burner. I have all of the sludge right now contained into a container that's diluted with 6 parts water. What is my best method of turning this sludge nanoparticles (purplish in color) into a solid gold bullion bar? Again I need a straight forward process that doesn't involve the use of nitric acid
Next time when you start you should leave that sludge to settle then decant and filter remaining liquid away. There is no need to have that much of a liquid when sludge/powder is what has to be refined. Also do not make HCl bleach in some ratio's - use HCl and add little bleach to see reaction. Then add as much as it is needed to dissolve sludge in small increments.
If liquid is purple now you likely created colloidal gold which take very very long to settle. If majority of liquid in your case is water I would probably try to evaporate some or most of it slowly,

As said by Patnor1011, using HCl/Bleach is slightly different than using AR.

We add enough HCl, this means just enough to cover the material and then some,
there is no reason to be stingy on the HCl, but do not overdo it either.

Then keeping the solution cold we add bleach a little at the time.
Two reasons for this, adding too much will neutralize the HCl which will defy our purpose since HCl is the work horse.
Next, adding too much will be a waste since the Cl- ion will just evaporate out of solution before being able to do anything.

Doing it cold will also keep the Cl- in solution for a longer time,
adding a lid will also extend time of life for the Chlorine in solution,
but do not close it so you do not build up pressure so it breaks something.

And we will almost always strive to keep our amount of solution as low as possible, so evaporating is a good idea.

Back