Home built centrifuge - gold concenrates from IC's

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We concern ourselves with vials number 3 and 4.

Noxxed using urea, precipitated with SMB. The next step check with stannous for PGM's in vial 4.

Unfortunately I do not own an analytical scale and have to depend on visuals to make my conclusions.

I found that stannous crystals left open to the air will deteriorate becoming useless.

While several pails of urea prills left outdoors for a year and now full of water worked perfectly.

Attachments

• 100_7313.JPG
    100_7313.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 100_7311.JPG
    100_7311.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 333
We have a slice in time coming up while I wash the cons better before moving onto the next stage. In the meantime the gold has settled out.

While the wash water is wicking out from the first batch of cons, I'm getting this small 10 lb batch of chips ready for the ball mill.

The chips are going in as is with out incinerating, after milling classify then remove any magnetic material then into the centrifuge the centrifuge. The cons worked from here forward worked to remove base metals, silver and palladium before moving onto the gold and PGM's.

This material will be added to the first lot to be processed at the same time.

Attachments

• 100_7315.JPG
    100_7315.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 321
  • 100_7316.JPG
    100_7316.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 321
This 10.25 lbs of chips was not incinerated but rather ball milled as is and are now in the green pail being whetted before screening out the trash.

The foam is no big deal the centrifuge eats it right up.

In the screen a sample of the trash removed from the ball milled chips, everything looking good the gold from the plated pins has been abraded off.

An interesting discovery, previously I had incinerated all my fingers, this time just added the few I had on hand as is into the mill. From the last picture you will note that the gold abraded off leaving the nickel behind on the copper underlay.

From this lot I expect to recover some base metal, silver, gold and any platinum group metals in the centrifuge, the recovered cons will then get incinerated, hcl treatment - incinerated then a nitric leach to recover silver and any palladium present, the remainder will be added to the current lot that I'm working on.

By having ball milled the chips as is, the process was environmentally friendly, instead of incinerating 10.25 lbs of plastic and resins from which the chips are made up from.

I'll end up with perhaps half a pound of concentrates from that 10.25 lbs of chips.

Incinerating incinerating half a pound of cons will not have a great impact on the environment, in addition there will be savings on the amount of acids required to process, plus fuel.

Not to mention time saved on filtering and liquid disposal.

Attachments

• 100_7319.JPG
    100_7319.JPG
    675.2 KB · Views: 263
  • 100_7318.JPG
    100_7318.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 263
  • 100_7317.JPG
    100_7317.JPG
    791.9 KB · Views: 263
I had some material, that had some small gold foils and tiny flakes of gold, mixed in with many other metal powders, much like some of the materials you are centrifuging, just for the fun of it I thought I would try and pan a small sample, what I noticed is the material would not separate by panning very well at all, the fine gold powders and foils are just moved along by the other material, the gold is also so fine it will float around in the water, sometimes almost easier than some of the less denser metal powders.

I do not know if the centrifuge, would have the same trouble as I seen in the pan, but I think it possibly could have, I think it would be interesting to make a small controlled experiment, taking some very fine gold foils, powders and so on, and weigh them, mix them with a little of your sludge material, in the consistency, you normally have, then run it through the centrifuge, and see what you recover back, also testing the solution that floated out of the pot, who knows floating the gold with froth floatation and centrifuging at the same time (probably at a lower speed may also prove to be a way to recover).

P.S. the screen in the skillet, I really like that tip, on second look that may just be a plastic strainer that looked like a skillet to me in your picture, I have been having a lot of trouble drying material for incineration, taking a long time at low heat to dry out the liquid in a corning dish, as the material will bubble and spit if heat is raised too high to fast, it can take all day on warm before it is dry enough to raise the heat, the screen holding the majority of the material off of the bottom may just be an answer, this way the liquids below could be raised to a higher temperature, steaming through the material held above in the screen, any spitting would stay in the pot better, once more dry they could be crushed through the stainless steel screen to the bottom of the pan ready to raise the heat and incinerated.

I follow this thread and I am quite faszinated, because I like your approach to minimize chemicals and toxic procedures to a minimum. I think that is the right way to go for any homerefiner. Will there be a video on your centrifuge and how it works? I have yet not fully understood how and at which point you reduce the material to a concentrate. A vid would be helpful in understanding this better. Hope to read some yields one day as well... Thumps up on your report!

Marcel said:
I follow this thread and I am quite faszinated, because I like your approach to minimize chemicals and toxic procedures to a minimum. I think that is the right way to go for any homerefiner. Will there be a video on your centrifuge and how it works? I have yet not fully understood how and at which point you reduce the material to a concentrate. A vid would be helpful in understanding this better. Hope to read some yields one day as well... Thumps up on your report!

Thanks Marcel, the high speed rotating bowel multiplies g-force by 600 times, the heavier fractions force out the lighter ones replacing them in the grooves machined into the bowel. The banding of copper indicates that I'm coming to an end of the precious metals collecting inside the bowel.

The lighter fractions are discarded over the top of the bowel along with the water which is used as a carrier to transport.

Attachments

• 100_7258.JPG
    100_7258.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 230
First run 10.25 lbs the bowel recovered 85.6 grams of concentrates.

Total 65 grams recovered, HCL leach indicates base metals present.

Conclusion, not enough waste material in the feedstock, from 10.25 lbs of chips. Either do larger batches or add waste to compensate.

This has not yet been treated with acids, from the incineration you can see some oxides forming on the sides of the dish.

Previously the color of copper showing up in the bowel was a good indicator when to quit, when the cons show only black. The concentrated metals cling like jam to the spoon I use to clean out the bowel - no jam - no values - time to quit.

Also I might add filtering the cons goes a lot quicker water just seems to soak right in and through, additional rinses even faster. I'm not saying lighting quick but much faster than dealing with mud.

Attachments

• 100_7321.JPG
    100_7321.JPG
    635.4 KB · Views: 224
I apologize for my rude behavior in the beginning of this thread, I really thought you guys were holding back.

This Pilot is being tested at 9 G's, imagine how he would look at 600 G's the force of which my centrifuge generates.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9d_PK6pWNo[/youtube]

butcher said:
I had some material, that had some small gold foils and tiny flakes of gold, mixed in with many other metal powders, much like some of the materials you are centrifuging, just for the fun of it I thought I would try and pan a small sample, what I noticed is the material would not separate by panning very well at all, the fine gold powders and foils are just moved along by the other material, the gold is also so fine it will float around in the water, sometimes almost easier than some of the less denser metal powders.

Perfect material for the centrifuge.

butcher said:
I do not know if the centrifuge, would have the same trouble as I seen in the pan, but I think it possibly could have, I think it would be interesting to make a small controlled experiment, taking some very fine gold foils, powders and so on, and weigh them, mix them with a little of your sludge material, in the consistency, you normally have, then run it through the centrifuge, and see what you recover back, also testing the solution that floated out of the pot, who knows floating the gold with froth floatation and centrifuging at the same time (probably at a lower speed may also prove to be a way to recover).

At 600 G's that gold is going into the groove, the gold coming from the ball mill you can not see it with the naked eye.

Floatation is very good at recovering fine gold but the process requires more equipment and chemicals in addition a much larger footprint.

butcher said:
P.S. the screen in the skillet, I really like that tip, on second look that may just be a plastic strainer that looked like a skillet to me in your picture, I have been having a lot of trouble drying material for incineration, taking a long time at low heat to dry out the liquid in a corning dish, as the material will bubble and spit if heat is raised too high to fast, it can take all day on warm before it is dry enough to raise the heat, the screen holding the majority of the material off of the bottom may just be an answer, this way the liquids below could be raised to a higher temperature, steaming through the material held above in the screen, any spitting would stay in the pot better, once more dry they could be crushed through the stainless steel screen to the bottom of the pan ready to raise the heat and incinerated.

Problem solved, from 10.25 lbs of chips, I ended up with 125 grams of concentrates which came out with just enough moisture to cling like jam.

The heavy fractions collecting in the centrifuge bowel squeeze out the water displacing water in the grooves. The water is recycled.

I dried and incinerated that 125 grams of cons in a quartz dish and there was no plastic or resins to burn off.

Awesome seeing the copper band! I'm impressed, this machine seems very effective and versatile.
I would seriously consider having an assay done on some of the different fractions from this process, especially if you think you might keep processing in this manner with this material.

I would have the concentrates assayed, I would keep collecting the coppery fraction and have that assayed,
then i would have the rest of the irony and non metal residues assayed, either before or after dissolving the base metals, keeping a record of how much base metals were dissolved too.

Then when you did this stuff in the future you would have a good idea of what you can expect and where it will be. Then you'll know what to save, what to throw out, maybe what to process or further concentrate. Otherwise it's kind of like fumbling in the dark. That's what I found when I was investigating cats and extractions - that until I had assays done, I had no clue what I started with, how complete my extraction was, etc. It was the best money I spent in the whole deal, because I knew exactly where I stood with confidence in a matter of a week or two from mailing my samples.

I looked up a category I remember seeing in the past on internet scrap market price lists called 'mixed IC scrap' Truckload quantities are supposedly worth $33.69 a pound. http://www.scrapindex.com/electronics/usa/computer_electronics/index.html
I have no idea what that means, hopefully you can recover an amount something in keeping with this value.

skippy said:
Awesome seeing the copper band! I'm impressed, this machine seems very effective and versatile.
I would seriously consider having an assay done on some of the different fractions from this process, especially if you think you might keep processing in this manner with this material.

We know what metals to expect from chips, also I rely on specific gravity along with the constancy of the concentrates being collected in the bowel which are clingy like jam all other material does not have the tendency to cling or become stringy.

skippy said:
I would have the concentrates assayed, I would keep collecting the coppery fraction and have that assayed,
then i would have the rest of the irony and non metal residues assayed, either before or after dissolving the base metals, keeping a record of how much base metals were dissolved too.

No need to have the concentrates assayed, during the AR process stannous will let me know what I have. The left overs after AR need to be assayed.

Send the tailings as low grade sweeps to a refinery.

skippy said:
Then when you did this stuff in the future you would have a good idea of what you can expect and where it will be. Then you'll know what to save, what to throw out, maybe what to process or further concentrate. Otherwise it's kind of like fumbling in the dark. That's what I found when I was investigating cats and extractions - that until I had assays done, I had no clue what I started with, how complete my extraction was, etc. It was the best money I spent in the whole deal, because I knew exactly where I stood with confidence in a matter of a week or two from mailing my samples.

IMO theres no comparison between cats and chips, cats deteriorate with poor fuel, mileage and driving conditions while a chips can become non functional but the metals inside remain unchanged.

If any forum member wants to step up to the plate and pay for an assay, I'll gladly donate the sample and pay the postage.

And here's another offer, anyone wants to ship me a minimum 60 lbs of mixed chips,I will ball mill and concentrate these for free then ship the cons back for you to do as you wish. This offer stands good for one member only and must be before May 2013.

In future the centrifuge is the only way I would consider going, there are some improvements that could be made to the experimental centrifuge as it was rather hurriedly tossed together. I've learned from it and I hope some of you have also learned something from it.

skippy said:
I looked up a category I remember seeing in the past on internet scrap market price lists called 'mixed IC scrap' Truckload quantities are supposedly worth $33.69 a pound. http://www.scrapindex.com/electronics/usa/computer_electronics/index.html
I have no idea what that means, hopefully you can recover an amount something in keeping with this value.

Awesome, thanks Skippy.

I agree that the concentrates aren't as important to have assayed. They are likely effectively treatable by a combination of washes, acid boils, AR, etc. to get your recovery. The part I would be most interested in is in how much PM ends up in the gangue, it seems to me that if soft gold bonding wire gets smeared by a ball mill onto another particle, it won't necessarily separate out in the centrifuge. There's bound to be gold outside of the concentrates, it's just a question of how much.

Is anyone up for chipping in (hahaha) on an assay for some of Rusty's stuff? I'd be glad to put in a little bit. Say, don't the members here from ol' Blighty get cheap assays as a government service?

skippy said:
I agree that the concentrates aren't as important to have assayed. They are likely effectively treatable by a combination of washes, acid boils, AR, etc. to get your recovery. The part I would be most interested in is in how much PM ends up in the gangue, it seems to me that if soft gold bonding wire gets smeared by a ball mill onto another particle, it won't necessarily separate out in the centrifuge. There's bound to be gold outside of the concentrates, it's just a question of how much.

Is anyone up for chipping in (hahaha) on an assay for some of Rusty's stuff? I'd be glad to put in a little bit. Say, don't the members here from ol' Blighty get cheap assays as a government service?

If I process the ash until the centrifuge bowel is filling 100 percent copper, you'll not find much if anything of value in the gangue.

Go back and take a look at the picture where the copper had begun to band inside the bowel, it's very evident that values were being passed over to tailings.

This was purposely done to eliminate the amount of copper being added into my high grade concentrates - yes I have to run the tailings one more time, whatever is captured on the next round will require less acids to clean up.

I think you guys would be wasting good hard earned money for an assay of the tailings, which are destined to ship as low grade sweeps to a refinery.

My conscience would bother me to even offer the tailings for sale.

As were all aware the nickel barrier keeps the gold from migrating into the copper, and that my copper tailings do merit further investigation. Due the amount of copper present this material would make the perfect anode for a parting cell. The scrap yard I deal with does purchase my copper cathodes as number 2 copper.

Everyone is concerned with how well my centrifuge works.

Send me 20 to 40 lbs of your spent IC chip waste ( dry ) I'll run your waste through the centrifuge to see if you missed any values.

I'll even mail the concentrates back to you.

Limited Offer, any packages coming from the US must be marked as low grade waste below a $20.00 value via USPS as I will not pay Customs Duty nor Brokerage Fees.

You pay to ship, I'll pay the return on any cons recovered.

We don't get cheap assays because of the government but we do get cheap assays compared to what members from the US pay.
I'll happily sort out an assay for you Rusty when you have run all your materials but make sure you have got a good representative sample of the whole, you will need around 20-50 grams and post it straight to the lads I use, Guardian Laboratories here in the UK.

nickvc said:
We don't get cheap assays because of the government but we do get cheap assays compared to what members from the US pay.
I'll happily sort out an assay for you Rusty when you have run all your materials but make sure you have got a good representative sample of the whole, you will need around 20-50 grams and post it straight to the lads I use, Guardian Laboratories here in the UK.

Thanks nickvc we Canadians appreciate a bargain. I'll want an assay from my leftovers from the AR.

You may take note of the float gold bottom right hand side, the centrifuge catches all.

Here's a small sampling from the 10.25 Lbs of chips.

Well guys and gals, I've said about all there is to say on this topic, hope you all enjoyed the trip.

Attachments

• 100_7322.JPG
    100_7322.JPG
    560.1 KB · Views: 65
rusty said:
nickvc said:

Thanks nickvc we Canadians appreciate a bargain. I'll want an assay from my leftovers from the AR.

You may take note of the float gold bottom right hand side, the centrifuge catches all.

Here's a small sampling from the 10.25 Lbs of chips.

Well guys and gals, I've said about all there is to say on this topic, hope you all enjoyed the trip.

Oh no your not getting off that easy. 8)

Your not finished till we find out what the final results are. :p

You still have more to post. :lol:

Back