how long does it take you to do fingers in CuCl2

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic.

Thank you for the information Geo, I didnt see this reply when you gave it.

I will keep an eye out for a good concentrator, as it sounds like it helps immensely as far as the time goes... I cant believe that more people on the forum don't use one.

I appreciate you sharing your setup details with me/us.

-topher

Hello everyone,

I recently started a new batch of gold plated contact boards in AP. I followed a method kadriver explained in his youtube page and extensively read lots of AP threads, including the pdf lazersteve has on his website.
I've never used the HCl/H2O2 method, but it's been working fine and the gold foils are sitting in the bottom of my container :)
I have only one question I'd like to put: my bath is beginning to darken, because of the increasing amount of Cu+ in the solution. To regenarate the solution, this Cu+ has to be converted in Cu2+, by means of oxygen (which I supply through a small pump i have connected to my container) and H+ provided by the HCl.
Does adding a bit more H2O2 to the solution help the regen process, by providing more oxygen, or all I need is to add a bit o HCl to get the regening going?

Hope someone can clarify this.

Best regards,
Winged

Air is all you need until it doesn't dissolve copper anymore. Then more HCl is needed.

Even when starting a copper II chloride etching solution, you only need very little H2O2. Some people are misunderstanding the process, putting hundreds of mililitres to one or two litre HCl, which will dissolve gold, if there is still a high excess of oxidizer once all copper that has electrical connection to the gold is dissolved. The gold will get reduced as soon as the solution darkens, but it will be a fine black powder, you should look out for, if you started with that much H2O2.

solar_plasma said:
Air is all you need until it doesn't dissolve copper anymore. Then more HCl is needed.

Even when starting a copper II chloride etching solution, you only need very little H2O2. Some people are misunderstanding the process, putting hundreds of mililitres to one or two litre HCl, which will dissolve gold, if there is still a high excess of oxidizer once all copper that has electrical connection to the gold is dissolved. The gold will get reduced as soon as the solution darkens, but it will be a fine black powder, you should look out for, if you started with that much H2O2.
Okay. Since I got the air pump, and the gold foils are sitting on the bottom and stannous gives no gold in solution, I'm on my way :)

Winged

Latest posts

Back