how to build an acid resistant hood & scrubber _hood_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
golddie said:
Hi Barren
Thanks for your help
When you say what kind of media what do you mean by that
If you mean the kind of plastic in the liquid
I am going to slice up water bottles

Water bottles might work but I am not sure how well. considering the size of your tank to the amount of air you are moving thru it you might be ok.

golddie said:
I just had a talk with the person that sold me the pump and I said I adjusted the flow of the water from everywhere and still not working
He called the makers of the pump and they said we cant do the engineering for the system.
It is working but I don't have a good mist
It seems to be better than before.
Maybe it will get better with time
Barren you were saying something about adjusting the wires
D you think that might be better.
Anyway I will go to my shop later and try the 3 nozzles at the the same time.

No real need for an engineer on this system. Your pump will put out way more volume than will go thru your nozzel. Just find out from where you purchased the nozzel out what the flow rate is on it. Open your adjustment valves wide open and let it rip. With that size of tank you will need all the flow that the system will pump to keep your media wet to absorb what you are running thru the scrubber. I am going to say you have something possibly clogging up your nozzel some, it dosen't take much to clog the nozzel and reduce the flow thru it.

Wires, wires, wires? What wires?

http://img98.imageshack.us/f/10222052.jpg/

I will have to change the design where the spray nozzle rests.
There is a big fault here and that I have to reach all the way to
edge of the tank from a small hole and I didn't think about the acid when I made it and
also I didn't think it would be such a problem to remove that pipe from there.
I have made a sketch of the design and I will do this tomorrow
Any ideas would be appreciated before I start this thing
I think you understand my idea from the picture
The parts are not exactly like mine but they are close
Also the the hole is getting narrower

Barren I have the invoice in front of me and I am trying to get more info about the nozzle and I cant
The only thing I have written here is that it is a 1/8 of an inch polypropylene full cone
http://www.uni-spray.com/index.php

The 1st picture you have showing 7/8" pipe is actually measured as 3/4" pipe and the one measured as 5/8" is 1/2" pipe in the trades. If your cut you are showing in on the outside of the tank you are correct in where you need to cut it. Cut the pipe far enough outside the tank that you can push it thru your hole in the tank and the piece sticking outside of the tank acts as a counter balance so you can get back around to it to screw the pipe back together. Something to think about is the pump you have can accomidate probably 10-15 of those spray nozzels you are showing. You will need to be concerned about there not being enough flow thru the pump for the liquid to keep the impeller cooled down and possibly melting it or causing other damage to the pump. You are on the right path. Another thing to consider is when you push your pipe into the tank is you might want to have the pipe long enough that you can have it stick thru the tank on the other side for support. Over a period of time the pipe might get brittle and the flexing of the pipe with the system running might cause it to break inside the tank.

That is looking good just remember to add a couple more nozzels. It will be tough for one nozzel to supply enough fluid to properly scrub your solution coming from the fume hood.

4metals said:
Some thoughts about spray nozzles.

The water and caustic that performs the scrubbing of the fume is delivered through a pipe to the top of the scrubber where it sprays on the packing, wetting the surfaces so they can interact with the NOx.

4metals

What materials have you tried as scrubber packing?

And which is your favorite?

Hi qst42know
The water bottles will not be enough so I will get these things

http://www.jaeger.com/tripack.htm

These are great but I thought about another idea maybe you guys can tell me if it is good or not
How about taking a garden hose and slicing it into 1 inch pieces
If the hose is heavy rubber I don't know if it will float and if it is light than it might
I guess it is important to have it float
The thing with that jaeger tripack is that it is light and full of holes
maybe someone can tell me if the hoses will work
Thanks

The hose will become brittle and break into pieces at time goes by. The question of if they will float is not relevent since the colum is not full of fluid but just circulationg fluid that flows on the outer surface of the media to allow the contaminant from the hood to mix with the solution in the scrubber.

To fill a tank like mine 3 feet of these things will cost about $1,200
That is really expensive
I don't know what to do
I dont have that many water bottles

I am $ 500 dollars of that thing and the rest I will slice up shapoo bottles and every kind of plastic bottles.

Latest posts

Back