how to build an acid resistant hood & scrubber _hood_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tank is about 9 foot high and if I am not wrong the hole on top is a little larger than my head so I might be able to go in there
the width is about 4 foot diameter
If I go in there I can tighten it from the inside and I will not have to glue it but the idea of going in tank does not feel good
Now it is new but if it needed maintenance in the future I would not be able to do the same

For what it is worth I would seek a permanent solution first. If you do something that you “think” might work, and it does for a while, you will gain confidence in your safety measures. I am assuming that your fume hood will be located indoors. Imagine if you will a couple of months down the road when you have gained confidence in your hood, it fails. Hopefully you will not have a serious reaction going at the time, but it would not be a lab I could feel comfortable working in.

Do yourself the favor of doing it right the first time, instead of possibly giving yourself a false sense of security.

Hi Folks
I called the company that sold me this tank and they said the hole on top of the tank is a man hole
There is already some kind of a fitting in the lower part of the tank and he said their man went in there to tighten that part

The tank looks a bit like this and the hole also looks the size of that hole
When I looked at that hole I said there is no way a person can fit in there
I know that when a persons head goes in a hole than their hole body will fit in there.
I will see if I can go in there I am a well fit person

I asked if there was another option and he said you can weld it and he also said that you cant weld PVC to polyethylene
But they do have the same part in polyethylene and he said you should get a professional welder
http://www.power-pressure-washers.com/vertical-plastic-poly-tanks.htm

golddie said:
Hi Folks
I called the company that sold me this tank and they said the hole on top of the tank is a man hole
There is already some kind of a fitting in the lower part of the tank and he said their man went in there to tighten that part

The tank looks a bit like this and the hole also looks the size of that hole
When I looked at that hole I said there is no way a person can fit in there
I know that when a persons head goes in a hole than their hole body will fit in there.
I will see if I can go in there I am a well fit person

I asked if there was another option and he said you can weld it and he also said that you cant weld PVC to polyethylene
But they do have the same part in polyethylene and he said you should get a professional welder
http://www.power-pressure-washers.com/vertical-plastic-poly-tanks.htm

That would make sense because the bulk head fittings I used that I welded were polyethylene. Glad you called thanks for the info.

Spin fittings like this are a permanent solution but they are usually installed by the people who rotomold the tanks. They come in any number of sizes and thread configurations internal, external, and hose barb. They are spun at high rpm and friction weld in place.

Nothing will slow a liquid pump down faster than a stream of bubbles, you may need to fix your leak before you change the pump.

One source of spin fittings.

http://www.aimsfasteners.com/pd_cp_fittings.html

(link added)

Attachments

• aaspin.jpg
    aaspin.jpg
    52.9 KB
I think I am going to have it welded by a pro with the same materiel on both sides
As for the guy saying that they had a person go in a do the installing I do not believe that.
The hole is too small for even a skinny teenager with a tiny head to fit in that hole
I looked at the shape of the pipe and I say it was lowered with a rope and they fished for the rope from the outside hole and did the installation

golddie said:
I think I am going to have it welded by a pro with the same materiel on both sides
As for the guy saying that they had a person go in a do the installing I do not believe that.
The hole is too small for even a skinny teenager with a tiny head to fit in that hole
I looked at the shape of the pipe and I say it was lowered with a rope and they fished for the rope from the outside hole and did the installation

I have crawled thru a 6"" high x 18" wide hold. You have to stick your arms in first and then let your body follow. it's not fun but it can be done. :shock:

Hi Folks
Thanks for your help
Barren I measured that hole on top of the tank and it is about 6 inches.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4776
Like this picture shows I have another attachment on top and I glued it and it probably the bonding will not be a very good one
I have not done any testing with acid fumes.
I will change the other attachment in the bottom but this one is practically impossible and I am saying since there is no water over there can I get away with silicon caulking
Thanks

Ive read the thread and the other lab building thread.

I understand the concept with the scrubber, curious if anyone or 4metals have some real life photos of a unit and design.
This would help me in designing my own unit and having it properly functional first time around.

The pump is working fine I tested it without the spray nozzle.
The problem is that the spray nozzle does not have a good mist
It is a good kind.
Also when I tried to remove the pipes it become impossible to take apart.
I am guessing it is because of the water
Does anyone have a trick for this

Hi eeTHr
Something like that happened and I must remove that one pipe from there because that is where the nozzle is and I am sure it is going to need maintenance.
Ill try again tomorrow
I hope someone will have some magical solution
Thanks

You can try some hot water or a hair dryer to get them back apart. A touch or grease when you put them back together. A little sanding on the pipe before you reconnect them or a male and female threaded connector that you can unscrew. What kind of tip are you trying to use?

golddie said:
The pump is working fine I tested it without the spray nozzle.
The problem is that the spray nozzle does not have a good mist
It is a good kind.

Your spray nozzle may be to small for your pump output, or its plugged up. New installations always have some plastic bits floating around.

golddie said:
Also when I tried to remove the pipes it become impossible to take apart.
I am guessing it is because of the water
Does anyone have a trick for this

The only trick I know is use a bigger wrench. :mrgreen:

Hi Folks
Thanks for your help
I will clean the inside of the pipe like you said Barren and I have a straight pipe that is capped off in the end.
I will draw a diagram tomorrow.
Maybe it is a piece of dirt in the pipe if not I am saying maybe because the pipe is 5 feet high and the pump cant push the water that high but I don't have experience in this maybe someone who know things like this can answer this

The pump you showed earlier will handle what you are doing. Just depends on weather you have holes or slots in the pipe and how they are laid out for the spray. I would suggest thin slots in the pipe rather than holes, you will get a wider dispertion of your spray.

http://img515.imageshack.us/f/14781093.jpg/
My original scrubber was smaller so I said it would be better if I had something bigger one
now I am saying maybe thing think this is too big.
it is about 8 and a half feet high and about 4 feet in diameter.
This is not the same tank but it looks very much like it.
For now I only have water but if I had acidly water things will be different
Here is the latest problem with this big scrubber
I was telling you guys about the tube that was stuck there and wouldn't come loose
I have made a sketch and if you look where it says fitting that is where that joint is
and it is kind of hard for me to put my hand there to turn it
and I am thinking if I had to do maintenance when there was acidly water there
how is it going to be possible.
here is an idea just came to me
how about if I cut the pipe from where I have written spray nozzle
and glue a fitting there
this way it might be easier to unscrew the pipe for maintenance
Does this seem like a good idea

Barren I didn't understand what you meant by slots
what I have is a spray nozzle where I have marked that in the picture
Thanks

If you have a spray nozzel that will be fine, the slots would be cuts made partially around the pipe to serve the same purpose as the nozzels. With the disameter of the tank being 4' I would suggest you have 2 or 3 nozzels in a tank that size to give you a good dipersal of you spray. I would also suggest when you can to install a strainer with a fine mesh screen after your pump to catch small particals so your nozzel does not get clogged up. I would suggest that after the last 90 and before the pipe goes into the tank that you cut the pipe some where and install a male and female fitting so you can unscrew this and remove the nozzel from the tank to service it, do it half way between the 90 and the tank.

You haven't said what kind of media you are using inside the tank.

Hi Barren
Thanks for your help
When you say what kind of media what do you mean by that
If you mean the kind of plastic in the liquid
I am going to slice up water bottles

I just had a talk with the person that sold me the pump and I said I adjusted the flow of the water from everywhere and still not working
He called the makers of the pump and they said we cant do the engineering for the system.
It is working but I don't have a good mist
It seems to be better than before.
Maybe it will get better with time
Barren you were saying something about adjusting the wires
D you think that might be better.
Anyway I will go to my shop later and try the 3 nozzles at the the same time.

Latest posts

Back