how to build an acid resistant hood & scrubber _hood_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am getting good sucking from this fume hood and if I have smell it is from leaks.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=2c863&op=search&Ntt=2c863&N=0&sst=subset
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=3k771&op=search&Ntt=3k771&N=0&sst=subset
How would I calculate the power of the motor I will need
With a 4 cubic foot packed bed you should be looking for 120 cfm, that's pretty small, double the height and aim for a 250 - 300 cfm flow.
Maybe the answer is here but I cant figure this out

Thanks 4metals, I will try it. I think when it is done i will do some tests first to get the right air flow, I will shut for 175 t0 250 to start. Thanks if I have a prolbem I will post again.

Thanks

you should have 250 cfm
Can anyone say how many cfm is this
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=2c863&op=search&Ntt=2c863&N=0&sst=subset
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=3k771&op=search&Ntt=3k771&N=0&sst=subset

That blower with no resistance is 900 cfm with 1/4" it's 788 cfm and with 1/2" it's 655 cfm

Generally a scrubber adds 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of resistance, then you have to add in the fittings resistance.

Hi 4metals
I appreciate your help
My scrubber is working very well
I am not able to understand the meaning of your sentence
resistance
no resistance
quarter inch
half inch
What would these be
Thanks

Have you ever watched a wind tunnel test where smoke was used to show air turbulance? The swirls of air are considered as turbulance. Anytime something deflects air is causes turbulance and thus causes resistance.

Goldie,

Air flowing through a straight pipe would have little resistance offered from the pipe, if you were to add an elbow, the air has to bounce around the turn, colliding with the side of the pipe during the turn and it causes a measurable resistance. If you have lots of turns, there is more resistance. Actually even the straight pipe has some resistance so long pipe runs also have resistance.

Resistance is measures in inches of water column. A blower drawing its flow through a pipe could lift the water up a pipe by 1, 2 or more inches, depending on the design of the blower. Lets say your blower could pull a water column of 1 inch without restrictions. Now add your scrubber, duct, fittings and packing and the same blower will only pull say 1/2 inch of water. Then the resistance would be 1/2 inch and the pump which unimpeded pulled 1 inch now pulls 1/2 inch.

When you buy blowers somewhere on the specs they give different flows at different resistances.Then you simply select a blower to deliver what you want given the resistance of your system and your flow requirements.

Hi 4metals
Thanks for your explanation now I understand better
I see that the problem with my blower for my furnace is related to this question
Here I have drawn a sketch and I will remove this filter because it is the main cause of the problem
This thing is not sucking out the air and when I use the furnace for a bit than the whole place gets filled with smoke
http://img694.imageshack.us/i/70094407.jpg/
I have changing the location of the filter and it is better when it is in the other side of the blower.
I am wondering if I had a more powerful motor on the blower if that would help and what should be the size of the motor
Thanks

http://img62.imageshack.us/i/15545804.jpg/
I had a reaction of silver fillings in nitric and water and I wanted to direct the fumes to go into this mini scrubber about a 2 foot bucket this is so I can reuse the nitric
I had cold water in the mini scrubber and sliced water bottles.
The thing is I wasn't sure if the fumes would go into that bucket.
This is being done in the fume hood and the blue line is directed into the valve of the fume hood
Thanks

golddie said:
I had a reaction of silver fillings in nitric and water and I wanted to direct the fumes to go into this mini scrubber about a 2 foot bucket this is so I can reuse the nitric
Silver fillings? Did you retort these before digesting in nitric? Silver fillings contain mercury, both mercury and silver go into solution with nitric.

qst42know
I have virus protection but that web site is a very popular image site I think it is a good site

Oz
I have been doing a very small amount for experimenting but I never heard that before I wonder if Harold used a retort for refining silver.Since I have been refining these few batches I have used a mask but my eyes are kind of hear-ting me its like something is piercing them do you think it could be from that or is it my imagination.

I should also say that these fillings are from jewelers benches and not dentists
Thanks

OK, you mean jewelry filings, not dentist fillings. In that case the chance of mercury contamination is low.

Notice how just a one letter misspelling can make all the difference in the world!

qst42know said:
Golddie

Do you have anti virus software on your computer?

Every time I look at your images a Trojan virus tries to load.

Same thing happened to me. It's AVG trying to load.

golddie said:
qst42know
I have virus protection but that web site is a very popular image site I think it is a good site

Oz
I have been doing a very small amount for experimenting but I never heard that before I wonder if Harold used a retort for refining silver.Since I have been refining these few batches I have used a mask but my eyes are kind of hear-ting me its like something is piercing them do you think it could be from that or is it my imagination.

I should also say that these fillings are from jewelers benches and not dentists
Thanks
This is an EXCELLENT example of why I keep harping on correct spelling and word selection. You clearly stated that you are dissolving fillings (two l's), which implies something from a tooth---dental amalgam, which contains more than 50% mercury. One letter difference and the meaning is different, enough to be a problem.

What you are discussing is filings (one l). They come from a jeweler's bench and likely do NOT contain mercury.

No problem-----we now understand what your question is.

Harold

Golddie

Get this reaction in your fume hood before you get hurt or worse. If your eyes are burning this should tell you something, get away from there.
Cartridge respirators are ineffective!!!

Clipped from:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/n3660.htm

Personal Respirators (NIOSH Approved):
If the exposure limit is exceeded, wear a supplied air, full-facepiece respirator, airlined hood, or full-facepiece self-contained breathing apparatus. Nitric acid is an oxidizer and should not come in contact with cartridges and canisters that contain oxidizable materials, such as activated charcoal. Canister-type respirators using sorbents are ineffective.

Hi qst42know
I appreciate your help on this important matter.
The amount was about 1 and a half inch of nitric in a coffee pot and already it felt like something was wrong in that room.
I have 2 blowers and I have made it so that I am able to use my fume hood for the furnace blower for getting cleaner air and I said maybe it will do more harm to have that extra hole because it can interfere with the other blower so I closed it and still the air was not better.
At crainger they also said that the carbon mask was ineffective and they refused to sell me one so I bought it from my local hardware and I didn't pay attention to them.
They called 3M and they also suggested compressed air that was of breathing quality.
I will not do any refining until I have this problem resolved and it looks like I will need one of those oxygen masks.
This is how my 2 blowers look
http://img573.imageshack.us/f/safetyc.jpg/
I tried to use the image feature on this site but it didn't work sorry about that
Thanks for your help
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

Also I have seen so many pictures of people refining and they are using cartridge masks and because of that we assume that they are safe.

golddie said:
Hi qst42know
I appreciate your help on this important matter.
The amount was about 1 and a half inch of nitric in a coffee pot and already it felt like something was wrong in that room.
I have 2 blowers and I have made it so that I am able to use my fume hood for the furnace blower for getting cleaner air and I said maybe it will do more harm to have that extra hole because it can interfere with the other blower so I closed it and still the air was not better.
At crainger they also said that the carbon mask was ineffective and they refused to sell me one so I bought it from my local hardware and I didn't pay attention to them.
They called 3M and they also suggested compressed air that was of breathing quality.
I will not do any refining until I have this problem resolved and it looks like I will need one of those oxygen masks.
This is how my 2 blowers look
http://img573.imageshack.us/f/safetyc.jpg/
I tried to use the image feature on this site but it didn't work sorry about that
Thanks for your help
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

Also I have seen so many pictures of people refining and they are using cartridge masks and because of that we assume that they are safe.

If you will send me the picture's in an email I will get them posted for you. If they are too large I will get you to retake them unless Steve can post me a link to the program that makes them smaller that he posted a while back.

Hi Barren
I tried to post with a reduced size and still didnt work
I will try to read the page on this site that show how to post pictures
Thanks

Latest posts

Back