how to build an acid resistant hood & scrubber _hood_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 of these. Ill sell one if you want to pick it up.
(the 8ft ones)

Attachments

• 185.jpg
    185.jpg
    19.6 KB
Wiffle balls work great, but they probably cost too much as well. Ladies hair curlers work too. Marbles work but that’s what chemists use in smaller columns, I’d venture a guess that a 12” diameter by 6 foot deep bed of marbles would be too heavy to be practical.

Hi guys
I am getting more help than i ever expected
Thanks

Everything is becoming clearer
If you look at the quote
That is what I don't understand
which part of the picture do they fit in
Thanks again

How about this
Can this picture be related to whats in the quote

https://photos.buckeye-express.com/pictures.cfm/99002

Hey that's my photo :lol:

4metals scrubber is for much larger reactions, and instead of returning the condensate as this tiny marble condenser does, a scrubber neutralizes the vapors with lye water sprayed into the top of his scrubber.

The media regardless of the scale provides a long meandering path for the vapors to travel giving an extended reaction time. Glass marbles can provide the long path but would be expensive and difficult to handle in a large quantity. Obviously glass marbles are too heavy for larger reactions.

For a big scrubber cut lengths of PVC pipe would be more manageable and easier to come by than thousands of cut soda bottles.

In this small marble condenser the fumes are returned to the reaction to keep working. In a scrubber as 4metals is describing the goal is to prevent acid vapor pollution exhausted into the atmosphere from a much larger operation.

Hi qst42know

Where the number 4 is in this picture
Is that where these items go
You place your water ,lye, and some ladies hair curlers over there
I hope this is right because I really am new to this stuff

Wiffle balls work great, but they probably cost too much as well. Ladies hair curlers work too. Marbles work but that’s what chemists use in smaller columns, I’d venture a guess that a 12” diameter by 6 foot deep bed of marbles would be too heavy to be practical.

Attachments

• hood_and_scrubber_001_16223.jpg
    hood_and_scrubber_001_16223.jpg
    56.7 KB
The lye solution collects in the bottom at number 4. The packing or media is above in the column. The solution is sprayed on top to drip down through the packing while the fumes flow upward and outward.

Hi qst42know

So you place
Ladies hair curlers
where no 4 is

Is it so that the smoke is better absorbed by the water

Those so-called high dollar saddles that are typically used for packing are a mathematical design to produce the maximum surface area per unit volume. They are also called Tellerettes (sp?). I think they were designed by Edward Teller for the Manhattan Project.

From 4metals drawing the curlers, wiffle balls, or cut lengths of tubing or whatever media is light in weight, holds air spaces and is unaffected by lye water or acid vapors is in the section marked "packed height 6 feet minimum". Number 4 is the lye solution.

And yes it provides far more surface area for vapors and lye to react.

Frank,
I can think of no better product to slow fumes and air down inside of the scrubber than aquarium bioballs used inside of fish tank filter towers. They come in various sizes, and I've used the one inch size. There purpose is to create a huge surface (plastic) for liquid to flow over.

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/bioballs.htm

This link will give you an idea as to shape and price. Each manufacturer has there own design and they all work.

Look at the diagram of the Scrubber. Below the 3" pvc pipe is where the neutralizing solution is, the fumes enter the scubber from the 3" pipe into an air pocket above the solution and below a grating( the horizontal line of vertical lines). The bioballs or whatever you use sits on top of the grating and is represented by the squiggly lines in the diagram. The solution rains down and the fumes are pulled upwards being slowed in there upward path by the media and the adjusted speed of the blower.

I hope this description is helpful.

Emil

Emil,

You are right bioballs will work very well because they actually are designed as tower packing. They are not cheap either, if you're going to spend the money for bioballs you can buy scrubber packing from Maspac for about the same amount.

4metals,

I looked at the maspac items and there very similar to the bioball. Same principle.

For those that want a link to the Maspac packing:

http://www.maahaul.com/maspac.asp

A link to one type of bioball is in my previous post.

4metals, I have not yet found a fully plastic inline fan at a reasonable price. If the scrubber cleans the discharge air of all fumes is a fan that won't corrode necessary.

My fume hood has an opening of 2.5 sq'. What size scrubber would you recommend so that the exhaust air is clean.

Does the Sodium Hydroxide neutralize Sulfuric Acid, Hydrochloric Acid, AP and AR. What is the ratio of SH to water, and what should the PH be maintained at.

I'm sorry to bother you with all these questions, I want to be sure I'm doing it correctly.

Thanks,
Emil

Hi Guys Thanks for your help
Then this pvc tower needs maintenance and should have an opening like a small door.

$6.99 is not a lot of money for APPROXIMATELY 80 BIO BALLS/GALLON
Do they melt and they you have to have new ones there.

If you look at number 1 in picture
hood_and_scrubber_001_16222.jpg
you have an opening

why cant you make it like it is in this picture

Also 1 guy trying to sell one of those $30,000 dollar systems said that his reactors are made with titanium
In what we are talking about there is no heating
How come he said this
Thanks

Attachments

• 22_and_5_reactors_212.jpg
    22_and_5_reactors_212.jpg
    68.9 KB
Frank,

"$6.99 is not a lot of money for APPROXIMATELY 80 BIO BALLS/GALLON
Do they melt and they you have to have new ones there"

The ad that you looked at said "100" bioballs for 6.99.

I doubt that the temperature inside the tower will reach the melting point of plastic.

Emil

This is a quote from that person that makes those machines

If you look carefully my total price is 30% cheap than Italian machines. And we use titanium reactor. Not glass or plastic

Emil,

Yes a corrosion resistant blower is necessary, if you go to US Plastic http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp on the left side go to Pipe, Duct & Blowers and you will find some blowers. Generally an exhaust should be 100 cubic feet of flow per square foot of opening. you should have 250 cfm. The caustic scrubber will handle all of the acids you mentioned and it is maintained at a pH of 10 or higher.

Frank,

The packing will get hot enough to melt but you cannot incinerate or burn or roast anything in a hood served by a plastic chemical scrubber. The scrubber is for fumes of chemical reactions.

The only door you need is as described for servicing the nozzles as long as you don't burn anything in the hood.

The photo you posted is from a post I posted in a thread about building an assay / refining lab. I built that system as well and in the text I mentioned that the manifold does not have to be in a hood but there were some precautions which were described and you should go back and read them.

Titanium reactors withstand aqua regia and they don't break like glass can, the down side is there is no visibility.

Emil

I've used these before and they last, have replaceable parts and are the least expensive I've found. This is the part where everybody who has found a better deal jumps in.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/variant.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=58&product_id=11551&varian

4metals & Emil
Thanks for your help and everyone else too
Fiberglass Lab Blower this link is really fantastic
I think I will start this refining business immediately
One thing I am thinking about that might be a concern
I will refine the gold and try to sell to jewelers
What if they don't want to buy the gold in grains and they want stamps on it
Also what if I don't refine it pure enough
1 more thing what happens if I have too much looses

Frank

I think you should perfect your refining skills immediately, everything else will follow. Practice and you will get it right, then all of your questions will be answered.

Latest posts

Back