how to build an acid resistant hood & scrubber _hood_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exhaust it outdoors. I don't think I would want to breath the exhaust from any scrubber either home or commercially made. I don't believe that is the purpose at all. You are reducing environmental pollutants but not to the point of being good to breath in a confined space.

Hi qst42know
I have 2 blowers
1 is for the fume hood and scrubber
and the other for the small room where refining is done.
I have both blowers working all the time and all the containers are closed
The container that is attached to the scrubber is something I bought from wall mart and it was for laundry but the top can be closed

I even put some duct tape around it
I don't know what else to do
They make soap with lye but I don't like the smell
It feels like It is hurting my throat
I hope its not going to have bad effects on my body

I did a quick google search about lye and I think it is not bad as people think it is
http://www.ehow.com/how_4742114_use-safely-understand-its-dangers.html
I remember working in a jewelry shop a while ago and they were boiling lye in a closed room with no ventilation and nothing bad happened there
I am not saying that what they did was a good idea but the dangerous are exaggerated

golddie said:
I did a quick google search about lye and I think it is not bad as people think it is
http://www.ehow.com/how_4742114_use-safely-understand-its-dangers.html
I remember working in a jewelry shop a while ago and they were boiling lye in a closed room with no ventilation and nothing bad happened there
I am not saying that what they did was a good idea but the dangerous are exaggerated

I would rather work with acids than with lye. When it is in powder form you can't see where the powder is blowing. Lye is what they use to eat the skin away from animlal hides when they treat them.

Hi Barren

Here in Canada they have removed them from grocery shelves.
I think I get a different feeling in my throat when I stay in that room for long.

I know a bit about lye so I am not afraid of it but can it be that it can have long term health effects on me.
They say it has been used for centuries for making soap

The smell is so strong that I have my blower working all day and the smell is still in the room
The good thing is its only in that room and it does not go to the other places

You have a hood, it doesn't work right. You have a scrubber vented indoors, you have no idea if it is working right. You have negative health affects every time when using your system.

I'll go out on a limb here and say you shouldn't be doing any more refining until you get this system fixed.

qst42know said:
You have a hood, it doesn't work right. You have a scrubber vented indoors, you have no idea if it is working right. You have negative health affects every time when using your system.

I'll go out on a limb here and say you shouldn't be doing any more refining until you get this system fixed.

HMMMM :!: :idea: . I'v herd that some where before. :twisted: :roll:

Hi qst42know
Since I opened the door to that room and I closed the front of the fume hood with Plexiglas I don't smell any acid and I think my system is working well.
I was going to take a picture of it today but I couldn't get the camera maybe tomorrow I will do that.
Maybe if it was someone else they wouldn't complain

If you look at this picture
The hole where I have written 4 inches is about 5 feet away from where I have written bucket
The distance is not very long only a few feet away.
I think no matter what I do there is going to be that lye smell
http://img687.imageshack.us/i/26984497.jpg/

You shouldn't smell anything be it lye or half scrubbed acid if your system was working properly.

Don't kill yourself for a bit of metal. Do yourself a favor if you can't fix this hire someone that can.

Hi Mike
How are you
I wanted to know if you have separate pipes for each fan or did you join them together and have it exit in one pipe
Thanks

Hi Golddie,

I have separate pipes exhausting through my roof.

Sorry for the delay on a response. For some reason Internet Explorer would not let me log in to the forum since Friday morning. I tried on 3 different computers. Thought maybe I got banned for some reason...lol

Mike

I am not sure but if the pipes were to join into one wouldn't that be the same thing like it is drawn in A

http://img36.imageshack.us/i/32729235.jpg/

golddie---

golddie said:
Hi HAuCl4

Thanks for your help

I have the fume hood and the scrubber system and plus another blower working as an extra ventilation system.

I have separated the refining part from the whole shop so that the entire place does not get the acid in the air.

The acid smell stays in that room but I am not happy with the quality of the air in there, maybe if it was someone else they would not be bothered but I am bothered by that. I don't know if I did right or wrong but I made the back part of the shop the refining room and
it has a window but with the system there I am not able to open it.

If I leave the door open to the reffing room than the acid smell will be less over there and more in the other parts of the shop

Thanks again

golddie said:
Hi qst42know

I have 2 blowers
1 is for the fume hood and scrubber and the other for the small room where refining is done.

I have both blowers working all the time

The room blower should be flowing air from the outside, into the room. If you have it sucking air out of the room, it will be fighting your fume hood blower, and reduce it's overall suction effeciency.

Having the room blower forcing air pressure into the room will add to the pressure differential, and thus add to your fume hood's suction effectiveness, instead of reducing it.

Just a thought....

P.S. This only works if you vent your hood and scrubber to the outdoors. If you can't go through the wall, replace a window glass with plywood, and mount your duct through a hole in that. If you add ducting for both in and out, on the same window, use 90 degree fittings, and extend the exhause upward, with a rain roof on it, and extend the intake downward, and put some screen on it or even a filter to keep dust out of your room and system.

Holly Cow I made it!

Hello Gentlemen; I had some questions, started reading this thread, and two hours later here I am. Ya, after reading, checking external links, and researching
things mentioned, it took that long. But my questions were answered for the most part and new ideas popped into my head as well. So I want to say thanks!

The only problem that I have with this Forum is that it consumes me and I have a hard time pulling myself away. There is just so much great information.
I am redefining a Fume/Scrubber at the moment, along with too many other projects... i.e. Ball Mill, Furnace, and the like.

Hats off to this thread, it's a great read.

[ evL ]

evL said:
Holly Cow I made it!

Hello Gentlemen; I had some questions, started reading this thread, and two hours later here I am. Ya, after reading, checking external links, and researching
things mentioned, it took that long. But my questions were answered for the most part and new ideas popped into my head as well. So I want to say thanks!

The only problem that I have with this Forum is that it consumes me and I have a hard time pulling myself away. There is just so much great information.
I am redefining a Fume/Scrubber at the moment, along with too many other projects... i.e. Ball Mill, Furnace, and the like.

Hats off to this thread, it's a great read.

[ evL ]

evL,

I see that you're reading through many threads in their entirety and asking good questions. You're actually doing research. I would just like to say thank you. Your efforts should be commended. If more new members conducted themselves the way you are doing I think this forum would be an even better place. Again thank you.

golddie said:
Hi Barren

Here in Canada they have removed them from grocery shelves.
I think I get a different feeling in my throat when I stay in that room for long.

I know a bit about lye so I am not afraid of it but can it be that it can have long term health effects on me.
They say it has been used for centuries for making soap

Hello golddie, i found this about lye you might be interested in what it says. " What is it to be poisoned with lye? TERRIBLE. It can mean anything from burnt skin, corroded lungs to death. Remember, for all its uses, lye is a poison that should not be inhaled, touched or ingested into the body. You may meet with terrible consequences if you happen to be victims of lye poisoning. This is why it is advised that you have to be careful and wear protective gear while handling lye. This article will explain the symptoms and treatments that follow a lye poisoning and what emergency care needs to be taken immediately after such a terrible accident.

How can you be poisoned with lye? You can be poisoned with lye in three ways – touch/physical contact, inhalation and ingestion. All three are dangerous and your body can be debilitated if you suffer a strong exposure to the chemical. Lye, as you know is caustic soda or sodium hydroxide. It is a strong alkaline that reacts strongly with acids. It can be found in many industrial solvents, cleaners (like drain cleaners), brick cleaners, cements, aquarium products, metal polishes, oven cleaners and a lot of others. If you are a soapmaking freak, you would be handling lye in pellets or flakes form. Lye water (lye mixed with water) is also caustic." There is more to read at this link.
http://sodium-hydroxide.com/poisoned-with-lye-symptoms-treatments-and-emergency-what-to-dos/
Its pays to be careful with this chemical you can read more by following the link above.
Ken

Latest posts

Back