Hunters Chat Room

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott, how much is a non-resident hunting license & deer tags?

We saw a few deer while in Ca, small black tails. I had some cross the river, 15 feet right by me. We also had a brown bear cross the road in front of our campsite.

Attachments

• '10 022.JPG
    '10 022.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 288
Is that time of the year, again! :mrgreen:
Bear season opens on the 1st of august in Washington state. My son & I are heading out on sunday for a couple of days. 8)

Heading out here in about an hour to find some hogs,I'll let you guys know in the morning if I get anything.

Chuckle.I didn't get a hog,but I saw a huge doe,and a lot of fresh rooting.I'm going back out in the morning.

I grew up in Louisiana and have hunted and eaten many creatures.

We have a saying there; "If it flies, walks, swims, or crawls, we will eat it."

I used to go with family to a 40,000 acre island inside the levees in NE Louisiana for deer hunting int he Winter and fishing in the Summer. It is called Davis Island, and was the plantation of Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederacy. (side note, I'm no Secessionist, but the history is cool.

We had to take our 4 wheel drives onto barges that we would push with John boats across the oxbow lake/bayou left by the changing route of the Mississippi river, over to the island. Of course, the Winter in Lousiana at the river bank is ALWAYS wet and rainy and muddy. Only the most souped up 4WDs could make it up the bank.

One weekend when I was about 17-18, I volunteered to mount a horse and help rouse the deer towards people in tree stands. (I know now that some people find this to be non-sportive, but it is how we did it.)

We were down by the Mighty Mississip in a thicket of small trees growing in the sands left by a previous flood, when the rider to my right, out of view but probably 60-70 yards away from me, shot at a deer and then yelled, "It's coming your way!"

The young doe (we worked closely with the dept of Wildlife to maintain a healthy herd, no predators but us on this island, all though it was the home of the last remaining Eastern Red Wolf pack before a flood drove them from the island into populated ares where they were killed, I believe during the massive flood of the Winter of '72, which completely covered the island.) (side note: Holy Run-On Sentence Batman!) broke from the thicket coming towards me.

As my first time hunting from horse back, I then made a couple of grave mistakes. I dropped the reins in order to use both hands on my shotgun, and THEN, shot directly over the head of my horse!

I hit the young doe, but my horse was understandably spooked by this point.

My normally mellow mare started bucking and turning around, facing 180 degrees away from the direction of the deer and that loud noise.

At this point, I scrabbled to find the reins in my left hand, and channeled John Wayne by twisting around completely in the saddle, and shooting the doe a second time, from the hip.

That is my most exciting hunting tail aside from hunting yellowfin and blackfin tuna, wahoo, and mahi on a 100 mile trip out of the Cape Canaveral basin/inlet, journeying across the Gulf Stream to the fertile fishing grounds on "The Other Side.". On that trip, we overcame many obstacles and hindrances, including failed radar, engine, and 2 trailer flats to score 4 different pelagics.

Well, we set up camp last weekend with no success. My son left on thur. a.m. & hunted all day, & nada. Yesterday morning he got up late & headed back out, walking for 2 hrs. took a break at a blueberry patch on top of the ridge. After a few minutes of picking & eating berries he heard some noise @ the edge of the slope. He looked down & saw a bear running down hill. It probably was spooked; so my son quickly picked up his rifle, the bear stopped for a moment & that's all me son need. He squizzed the trigger & down went the bear, rolling downhill for another 200 yds. It was a 200 yrd shot. He admits, he wasn't expecting to hit the animal, but he did.
Here are a few pic's.

Attachments

• hunt'n '11 014.JPG
    hunt'n '11 014.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 61
  • hunt'n '11 013.JPG
    hunt'n '11 013.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 61
  • hunt'n '11 011.JPG
    hunt'n '11 011.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 61
  • hunt'n '11 007.JPG
    hunt'n '11 007.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 61
  • hunt'n '11 003.JPG
    hunt'n '11 003.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 61
Ocean said:
Where are you hunting Johnnie?
Bull Creek off of 192. Didn't see anything this morning,but found a great spot.I'm heading back out in the morning.I had better get something soon,it's 100 miles round trip.And I drive a 3/4 ton GMC suburban.
Oh I almost forgot....these were on the way home,but It is illegal to shoot them there.

Attachments

• 100_2318.jpg
    100_2318.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 57
  • 100_2321.jpg
    100_2321.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
Thanks Claudie! It's a lot of fun indeed, but lots of hard work, too. For the young guns, that is. :mrgreen: I just sit back & listen to them tell the story over & over.

Johnny, those would make a very nice dinner! I see some also while I'm down in Colfax, CA.

Ocean, you were fortunate you didn't get hurt.

Claudie said:
I have never ran into a bear here but we have the wild turkey in abundance.
I ran into 2 black bear, but when your bow hunting in Pennsylvania and you dont have a handgun on your person its alot scarier then ya think. Pennsylvania you cant carry while bowhunting it illegal.

TX, it used to be the same here in WA. state, no handguns, until this year.
We always carried one when we were deer hunting, though. We've killed deer late in the afternoon & it had been raining, & got dark,so we had to wait for morning only to find the deer half eating by a cougar. Needless to say, we stopped using deer scent on us, too! :mrgreen:
Or how about running into a sow with cubs... YIKES! :shock:
And yes, I've heard stories of bow hunters sticking an arrow in a bear & the animal just turns around & charges them. :shock: We rather take no chances, we're in their turf.

We do have the deer and the cougars here. We didn't used to have cougars or bobcats but now we have them both. I think the bobcats have hurt things more than the cougars, hardly ever see a rabbit now a days.

We have sooo many of the wild turkey around here. No phesants left anymore. When ever the flock of 50 or so turkeys comes onto our land, I move them along with my .17 HMR. Funny to watch them jump when that round hits right next to them. They are sooooo dumb that I could kill 20 of them before they started running. What a stupid bird.

Back