Hunters Chat Room

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harold_V said:
Thanks, guys. Great comments.

Anyone familiar with wild turkeys?

Harold
Harold,
Wild Turkey do have thier own taste and yeah they do have a sort of wild taste to them they taste alot better I think then farm raised. Since they graze on bugs and other plants that us humans cant eat and things that we can digest without getting sick and or dying. I have eaten alot of turkey thru the years living in Pennsylvania I also ate a few eggs. In fact I have eaten duck, quail, grouse, turkey, pheasant, woodcock, chukkar, snipe and I think thats all for birds. The only thing wild I havent eaten was hog maybe I will get a chance living here in Texas. If you dont get your chance to eat any wild turkey when I get back to Pa in a year I will send ya some when I get it.

Rich

Thanks, Wolfie.
I'm curious, more than anything.

Washington State has wild turkeys, although I'm not convinced they are indigenous to our area. They have been transplanted, and appear to be thriving. If memory serves, there's three different varieties. They are considered a game bird, here, so there's a season. We've seen them a couple times, but I no longer hunt. Not likely to encounter one anytime soon! 8)

Harold

While doing a search on the internet trying to find a formula for estimating the weight of a black bear, I found this interesting piece of information @ wiki:
"Some specimens may develop a white “crescent moon” mark on the chest. This white mark, which is constant in Asiatic black bears, occurs in only 25% of American black bears."
The bear my son bagged has a "crescent moon"; interesting! 8)

Harold_V said:
Thanks, Wolfie.
I'm curious, more than anything.

Washington State has wild turkeys, although I'm not convinced they are indigenous to our area. They have been transplanted, and appear to be thriving. If memory serves, there's three different varieties. They are considered a game bird, here, so there's a season. We've seen them a couple times, but I no longer hunt. Not likely to encounter one anytime soon! 8)

Harold
Yeah I do believe there is 3 different types 2 that I know of in fact not alot of people know the Wild Turkey was suppose to be the national bird and not the Bald Eagle but you probably know that if you read that wiki about them. The ones your talking about are probably from the east coast and pennsylvania has like 3million just in that state alone. And from alot of talk, Pa did alot of swapping with other states for other animals in trade. I have seen papers that Pa traded with Montana 100,000 wild turkey for 100 timber wolves. Now Pa denies this whole allegation but its tough to deny when its in the reports of the game commision. When I was living there the game commision thought it would be a kewl idea to add Golden Pheasant and to see if they would populate and grow as a game species. Their idea was a great one but the one thing that put a damper on it was they dont fly, so basically sitting ducks for hunters and animals that would prey on them.

Rich

philddreamer said:
While doing a search on the internet trying to find a formula for estimating the weight of a black bear, I found this interesting piece of information @ wiki:
"Some specimens may develop a white “crescent moon” mark on the chest. This white mark, which is constant in Asiatic black bears, occurs in only 25% of American black bears."
The bear my son bagged has a "crescent moon"; interesting! 8)
I always thought and remember this from growing up that only the asiatic black bear with the white under its chin can and will climb tree's. There is also brown bear that have that white crescent moon on its chest. I could be wrong but I watch alot of shows like discovery and all them other shows that give knowledge. And if memory serves me correct they are trying to see if brown and black bear actually will find mates and populate offspring, that would be one hell of a black bear. But since some brown bear have those markings and black bear are not suppose to thats why they wanna see if the possibility is there.
I have run into 3 black bear while bow hunting, and from my experience I have noticed 1 thing I can run really fast.
Rich

Our black bears CAN climb, check the picture! :shock: :lol:
I understand that grizzlies can also climb trees.
Many animals can interbreed, but in captivity; but as I understand, the bigger brown bear will eat the smaller black bears in the wild.

I read the black bears in the eastern US are much bigger than the ones out west, almost double in size. No wonder you ran so fast! :mrgreen:

P.S.
Sorry, been having trouble downloading from e-mailed pic's.
I guess I can't post Bitmap pictures...

philddreamer said:
Our black bears CAN climb, check the picture! :shock: :lol:
I understand that grizzlies can also climb trees.
Many animals can interbreed, but in captivity; but as I understand, the bigger brown bear will eat the smaller black bears in the wild.

I read the black bears in the eastern US are much bigger than the ones out west, almost double in size. No wonder you ran so fast! :mrgreen:
bear2.jpg

879lb black bear
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101119/NEWS/11190341/-1/NEWS

This is the county i used to hunt, but definately not one of the bears I ran into. But I do know that isnt the biggest. Unsure if she ever got caught but there is a female that tops 1000lbs back in 2002

:shock: Um excuse me sir,but you have a tyrannosaurus rex in your garage.Would you like me to take care of that problem?

"Shhhhhh ..........be vewy vewy qwiet. I'm hunting king kong.Heheheheheheh"

Don't worry mom,I'll take care of that stain on the floor.........here,we'll just throw this rug over it.

......and in other news.......ralph,the 900 pound bear is still missing from the zoo.

HEY DAD,COME LOOK AT THIS MASSIVE BEAR IN THE BACK YARD.........(BANG)............nevermind

Honey,I think we have a racoon problem,the trash is scattered everywhere again,only this time the can is gone.

.......and in other news, authorities believe they found ralph,but when they tried to stoot him with a tranquilizer gun,they could not hit him.Apparently he made some sort of body armour out of what looks like a trash can.Fortunately a local man showed up with a rifle and took care of business.

Hey mom......what's for breakfast? :idea:

The locals had no idea how crazy neighbor joe was gonna store all that meat.......then they noticed that every restaurant in town had a special on bear burgers.

Game warden: Excuse me sir,did you have a license to kill that bear
Crazy Joe: Look at the size of this bear that I killed with my two hands,now look at the size of you.
Game warden:Have a nice day sir.

..........and in other news,someone killed bigfoot!

did my road trip to thunder bay this past week. it was awsome.just found out my son was up there to. him and his buddys got 2 moose... :mrgreen:

Ok why the heck would someone shot poor little defensles mice or mice's or is it meeses?????????????? AND why would ya need a gun just grab them with a fishnet.

"...our meeses up here can weigh up to 2000 lbs. "

Wow!!! That would require one "whale" of a net! :lol:

And WOW, that's one BIG bear!!! :shock:

A friend of mine sent me pic's of a BIG PIG shot in MO., but I'm having trouble loading the pic's, too.

Well, hunting season came & went...
My son bagged a black bear boar & a spike buck. Today we got back from 6 days of elk hunting, but couldn't get a shot off fast enough.

Hopefully there'll be next year! 8)

Phil

Courtesy of Phildreamer

Attachments

• big pig 2.JPG
    big pig 2.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 94
  • Big pig 3.JPG
    Big pig 3.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 94
No he wasn't the one to shoot this magnificent creature,but he was fotunate enough to aquire photos of it.

Went hunting for something that don't bite back. The big one on the right is 8" long, 49 in that spot but I did leave about 5 out there that were too far gone.

Attachments

• shrooms.JPG
    shrooms.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back