Hunters Chat Room

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are from earlier in the season.
Launching at muir beach.
http://i.imgur.com/d0vrF.jpg
This trap was heavy! Had 13 keepers in it.
http://i.imgur.com/KH0mF.jpg

I hope no one minds my pictures. I got one more 30 minute outing today. Caught an 8 pounder on the third cast.
-Andrew

Attachments

• P05-23-12_13.04.jpg
    P05-23-12_13.04.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 167
Holy Cow!Hopefully I will be posting some bass pics soon.I just finished my boat last week and it kicks butt!It's a 19' Nitro with a 150 Johnson,it gps'd around 50mph with almost a full tank(32 gallons),3 people,and 3 batteries.With 1 person,2 batteries,and 10 gallons it should be around 60.But honestly,I dont need to go that fast,and probably won't,unless I'm in a tourney.

Thanks, I've always been a die hard so to speak. 8) The boat sounds nice, and a tourney sounds like fun right now, a lot of the bass are in the shallows. Not to mention the prize money can be really good sometimes. I have had a ton of people today ask me if I kept that one. I just kind of laugh to myself and say no I haven't kept any fish for a long time. To me theres no real reason why I need to take a fish that large home. When I could take several smaller ones and be fine.
-Andrew

One more fish picture. I don't really like cats, they sometimes remind me of big oversized slugs. But, I was very happy to see her grinning ear to ear. Before she got sick, we used to sometimes go to the lake two to three times a week. Today was a good day. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 221779_155010457899332_100001711372905_369483_2727334_n.jpg
    221779_155010457899332_100001711372905_369483_2727334_n.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 120
very nice catfish. i prefer catfish over scaled fish.catfish has few bones compared to a bream or bass. i think of them as chickens of the water. some people dont like them because they are bottom feeders and will eat carrion. well, anyone that has raised chickens to eat know that yard chickens will eat anything and i mean ANYTHING!!

acpeacemaker said:
One more fish picture. I don't really like cats, they sometimes remind me of big oversized slugs. But, I was very happy to see her grinning ear to ear. Before she got sick, we used to sometimes go to the lake two to three times a week. Today was a good day. :mrgreen:

Looks like you Mom has been out "Noodling" with that beast.

You make a good point, I've known a few people that live on the lake and catfish are their chicken's. Their deep freeze is always stocked up with cat steaks. From what I understood, they have come up with multiple recipe's to make it not even taste like fish.

I couldn't imagine noodling with a fish like that or bigger, that is one thought that still scares the daylights out of me! :lol:

Take care,
Andrew

Nice fish Andrew!

What were you doing, practicing on the first two casts? :lol:

Looks like a pond fish to me. I love small bodies of water where
the sound of screaming gasoline engines is never heard. 8)

glorycloud said:
Nice fish Andrew!

What were you doing, practicing on the first two casts? :lol:

Looks like a pond fish to me. I love small bodies of water where
the sound of screaming gasoline engines is never heard. 8)

I like hearing the thump of a DuPont Spinner in a small pond. Get 'em all with one cast.

You have a good eye glorycloud, your correct the eight lb. is a pond bass. I enjoy small bodies of water just as much, but this one is only a couple hundred feet from a good sized lake.(so the noise can still be there) I always wanted to enter a main bass circuit, but never had the funds to travel on it. :cry:
One of my favorite things to do is grabbing a 5 weight fly rod and going with what we call pond jumping. It's a blast.

Thank you,
Andrew

As a child my father was a commercial fisherman among other things. I grew up on The Tennesse river here in Al near Guntersville. Geo can probaly attest to this. We have some awesome cat fishing on this river. I remember we would run slat boxes and trot lines and fill the boat up with fish. I mean literally fill up the boat up to the point water was trying to come over the sides. We built all of our equipment we used. We would take them all down to the fish market, which is now closed by the way because of farm raised cat fish Blahhh, and get paid like bandits. It was hard work, but it was honest work and paid well back then. It's a dying trade so to speak. The river is still approved, one of the few I might add, that you can still sell the fish from and be USDA approved. Only problem is locating a processor close by. Yeah..... good luck with that. Nobody has commercially fish parts of that river in years, I could clean up and have thought about it from time to time. Largest cat I ever caught was 152 pounds and I caught it in 6 ft of water! Yep! 6 ft of water. Those ain't the ones you really want but boy do they make for some good conversations at the dock. lol

yep, i spent many nights running trot lines. there was a market in decatur up until last year. another source of income that paid well was mussel diving. hey Palladium, i worked in your neck of the woods, Tar vat, north sauty creek it was about 40-50 feet deep, then we worked between 69 and 431, its about 70-80 foot deep and of course we worked honeycomb creek, it was shallow at 20 foot deep. we averaged about $500 a day. im sure you remember that couple of years all the dive boats were on the river with the striped flags out.

Yep! i remember it well. Ever fish Short Creek? I caught that 152 lb cat about 100 yards off the state park beach there in Guntersville. I know that area well. Ever go up to south sauty around Morgan's cove and fish when the strip are running? Town creek? And the crappie are to die for when the willow flies are hitting around Bucks island. Honey comb creek was where i had my camper set up for awhile to. I love Guntersville.

yep, fished south sauty many times. when the willow flies come out, you pull up to the bank and tie a string to a limb overhanging the water and back out a 20-30 feet and anchor and wait. when the limb gets loaded with flies, yank the string and throw a cricket or a fly bait in the middle of the swarm. shoot man, you would get a fish every strike. ive even caught a few crappie like that.

Geo said:
yep, fished south sauty many times. when the willow flies come out, you pull up to the bank and tie a string to a limb overhanging the water and back out a 20-30 feet and anchor and wait. when the limb gets loaded with flies, yank the string and throw a cricket or a fly bait in the middle of the swarm. shoot man, you would get a fish every strike. ive even caught a few crappie like that.

Fly rod that's the trick! :mrgreen:

152 lbs, thats awesome! Was it a flathead? The largest around that size I've seen was when I ran into Virgil Ward one day up at Truman Dam. I remember him and another guy having a hard time pulling that cat up the rocks. That was a neat day cause I got to see a huge fish and meet a fishing legend.
They still hang catfish heads on the fence posts down here, anyone else run into this?

Blue cat. I use to sit under the old river bridge and catch 40-60 lb cat's all night long in 60 ft of main channel. God what a rush! That area of the Tennessee river is mostly spring feed from the surrounding mountains and creeks. The water is deep, cold, free flowing, and the fish grow healthy and large.

the water depth from 69 to the dam goes from 80 to about 110 feet at the most. the deepest is the bluff on the left going up to the dam. im glad i couldnt see anything that deep because i think i would have come unglued if i had seen some of the fish i heard while i was down there. theres some deep grunts you can feel more than hear that deep. the scariest thing i found on the bottom was a bag of garbage, when i realized what it was, i got worried it might have a body inside because it was squishy. :shock: but it was just garbage.

i did find a baby doll one day that shook me up so bad i had to come up and go home for the day.

Wish i had a picture of it to show even today. The only picture i know we took of it was at the state park service station and it was a Polaroid. There i was a skinny 16 year old boy trying to stand up and hold that catfish while standing on the truck tailgate. The fish weighed more than i did. lol No Kidding!!!! They hung that picture on the wall with all the others and for a minute i was the cock of the walk. All them old men giving me pats on the back and a " That a boy! " comment. Now i'm that old man. Here's a picture to give you an idea of that size fish (142 lb). Funny thing is he wasn't even caught on a line. He got rolled up in one of my nets and rolled til he tangled himself up. At first i thought my net was hung on bottom or a stump. So i put the boat in reverse to see if it would give any. Some times you get drift wood of something in it and you can just tell. Well i could tell i wasn't hung on bottom and it just felt dead and heavy. So i stated to pull net and all the sudden that big suckers head broke water and it wasn't until then i think i was that scared. My hand was right there and he broke water and went to raising hell. I figure he tired himself out and was just playing possum until he broke water. I went from one end of that boat, the front, all the way to the motor. lol Had to shot him with a 22 to make sure.

Now I want to go fishing. :cry:

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 19
Back