Hunters Chat Room

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morel, and those are the yellow variety. I like the black better, though they are usually smaller. You should have Morel's in Washington.

we have ferel hogs in alabama. ive never seen one that big, but i have seen some big ones.i was hunting ginseng and walked up on a very large boar that seemed to be rooting up a yellow jacket nest.he was already angry (or it just seemed that way to me) but he didnt charge. he was grunting and snapping at the wasp so i backed up slowly till i was out of sight and left that part of the woods for the rest of the day.

Smack said:
Morel, and those are the yellow variety. I like the black better, though they are usually smaller. You should have Morel's in Washington.
Yes, we do have them here, but I've found them only once. Saw them from the driver's seat in a horse pasture, as I drove by. Harvested about a dozen, many years ago. They were the black variety, and absolutely delicious. Chanterelles (white and orange) are big business here in Washington, but I'll take a Morel over them any day, .

Harold

Clean them in fresh water, cut in half, heat frying pan, add butter, add mushrooms and cook till done :mrgreen:

Some like to batter them but I think that ruins the flavor.

Smack said:
Clean them in fresh water, cut in half, heat frying pan, add butter, add mushrooms and cook till done :mrgreen:

Some like to batter them but I think that ruins the flavor.
Yep! Pretty simple.
I like a little lemon on them (with butter), along with salt and pepper. No batter.

Harold

in my younger (and stupider) years, ive tried the mushrooms that make you hallucinate.as i remember, everyone of them had some kind of maggot in the cap.they were boiled and only the juice was consumed.since then the thought of eating fly maggots have turned me off wild mushrooms. i do love the farmed varieties though.

When hunting early in the season, we always run into mushrooms pickers. As far as I know, they're after the Chanterelles.
I believe I've seen the Morel's, but not knowing the safe mushrooms from the poisonous, I leave them alone. I'll try to learn to identify them, so this season I'll pick me up some. 8)
Thanks!
Phil

My girlfriend is very well versed in plant life so she keeps me from getting into all form of bad flora (heck, I didn't even know what poison oak looked like til we met, and I spend half my summer tramping around in the woods)

Her analogy for the Morels is to look for the caps that look like expanded steel :D

When I get them home first thing I do is get a big bowl, mix up some salt water and let them soak for about an hour.

Geo, the cutting in half then rinsing gets rid of any bugs and at that point the salt water has killed them. A little protein never hurts right? :p

philddreamer said:
When hunting early in the season, we always run into mushrooms pickers. As far as I know, they're after the Chanterelles.
I believe I've seen the Morel's, but not knowing the safe mushrooms from the poisonous, I leave them alone. I'll try to learn to identify them, so this season I'll pick me up some. 8)
Thanks!
Phil
Phil,
Be very careful of picking mushrooms that look like Morels. While they're perfectly safe, there are some that are very similar in appearance that are not. Same goes for Chanterelles. They don't have true *gills*, but there is a mushroom that looks like them that does have. It, too, is not safe to eat. Make sure you have someone to keep you safe if you pursue mushrooms. Some are deadly (the Destroying Angel, for example). It's a fun hobby, with much to learn. I wish I knew more.

Harold

Guys, I'm no Mycologist but i am studying the subject at the moment.

If you want a good general book to most of the common mushrooms from around the world then i would highly recommend this one
http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Fungi-Life-Size-Hundred/dp/0226721175#reader_0226721175

It's a good all rounder with a good description of fungi and also tells you if the fungi you have identified are edible or not.

Now, the age old argument of whether you should wash your mushrooms or not is a different subject all together :!:

The false Morel's have a stem that goes all the way up the inside to the top of the mushroom where it is connected. A real Morel's stem stops at about the bottom of the bell. I hate seeing those false Morel's, Mother Nature is cruel.

publius said:
So, what is it in some mushrooms that make them toxic? And does throwing a silver coin into the pot tell you if they are poison?

False Morels contain Hydrazine. You could use them for a reducing agent, perhaps. :mrgreen:

Finally, got to drop a line in today for about 20 minutes. Pulled out a couple small ones, and the last one ended up being a five pounder.

Take care,
Andrew

Attachments

• 0518121830 (1).jpg
    0518121830 (1).jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back