Incenarating Flat Packs, N/S Bridges, Black Chips...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claudie, I'll be checking with one of the diving outfits around here & find out if they will refill them; also, I'm planning on using a T80 compressor, instead of the tank, used when diving for gold. First, I have to find out in what condition it's in.

Hopefully I'll be able to continue with the processes today since the temp is above freezing. It's been miserable the last few days. My vacuum filter runs thru a small scrubber & it kept freezing up. Ice on the ground, in the shed, made it unsafe.

Now comes the flood watch! :shock: If the snow melts too fast, like it usually those, my basement will flood. Nothing worse than to walk down to my basement in the morning & step into 2" of water! It has happened twice in the 3 years we've been here.

Oh well, life goes on! 8)

Phil

Attachments

• e-waste Recycle '12 005.JPG
    e-waste Recycle '12 005.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 557
I have an uncle that lives by the harbor out there. He was trying to tell me they got a foot of snow, from the looks of your picture, he must have been telling the truth. :shock:

Claudie said:
I have an uncle that lives by the harbor out there. He was trying to tell me they got a foot of snow, from the looks of your picture, he must have been telling the truth. :shock:
Location, here, is everything. I live south of phildreamer. We received 17" of snow (measured), but we are also high enough that we avoided the freezing rain that followed. The night it began, our temperatures rose, while others dropped. Only Friday did the valleys begin to thaw, while our thaw began three days ago. Our 17" of snow is now down to about 5".

Freezing rain occurs when warm, moist air goes over cold air (temperature inversion). We've seen three major ice storms since moving here in '96. Each one resulted in the same ending---trees and power lines downed in the lowlands, and no freezing rain at our location. Are we lucky, or what?

Harold

Phil

Hope you didn't dispose of that nitric - it will have a fair amount of Ag & some Pd for sure.

Instead of panning (at least to start with) I use a couple of 1 & 2 gallon jars (you can use a bucket but I like using the jars so I can see how its going) put the ash in the jars (or bucket) add plenty of water & just enough dawn soap to brake suface tension (soap added "only" to the first wash) stir it up really good & give it just enough time to settle the heaver stuff (30 - 45 seconds a minute at most)then like panning give it just a bit of the same side to side shaker motion as with panning to really settle the gold wires & then pour off - repete washing & pour off (no more soap) untill you get a relatively clear pour off.

Doing this will make your panning easier & more effective - it gets rid of the ultra fine stuff that clouds up the water & acts like a drag in the panning. (its also a good way to get rid of clay when panning placer material)

Kurt

Harold_V said:
Claudie said:
Location, here, is everything. I live south of phildreamer. We received 17" of snow (measured), but we are also high enough that we avoided the freezing rain that followed. The night it began, our temperatures rose, while others dropped. Only Friday did the valleys begin to thaw, while our thaw began three days ago. Our 17" of snow is now down to about 5".

Freezing rain occurs when warm, moist air goes over cold air (temperature inversion). We've seen three major ice storms since moving here in '96. Each one resulted in the same ending---trees and power lines downed in the lowlands, and no freezing rain at our location. Are we lucky, or what?

Harold

opps - hit the submit button before writing my post (dam touch pad on my laptop) :oops:

anyway - I have lived in Spokane 2 different times now - I was there durring the ice storm back in the mid 90's

I'm back in Wisconsin now helping to take care of my mom & dad. It sounds like Washington is having a normal Wisconsin winter - While here in Wiconsin we are having a normal Washington winter. :lol:

Kurt

kurt said:
Phil

Hope you didn't dispose of that nitric - it will have a fair amount of Ag & some Pd for sure.

Instead of panning (at least to start with) I use a couple of 1 & 2 gallon jars (you can use a bucket but I like using the jars so I can see how its going) put the ash in the jars (or bucket) add plenty of water & just enough dawn soap to brake suface tension (soap added "only" to the first wash) stir it up really good & give it just enough time to settle the heaver stuff (30 - 45 seconds a minute at most)then like panning give it just a bit of the same side to side shaker motion as with panning to really settle the gold wires & then pour off - repete washing & pour off (no more soap) untill you get a relatively clear pour off.

Doing this will make your panning easier & more effective - it gets rid of the ultra fine stuff that clouds up the water & acts like a drag in the panning. (its also a good way to get rid of clay when panning placer material)

Kurt

Kurt, i'm not saying this out of certainty, but this could be a good way to loose some values in this case.

Anyhow, unless smelting is done, i this going after the Pd and Ag is not worth it. So paning might do the trick.
The panned and leached ahes could potentially be collected and sent to a refinery for toll processing. Though, very large amount is needed.

Harold, i have seen snow less then 10 times in my life... am i lucky? :mrgreen:

Hi Sam - my bad - I need to put things in there right order.

If you are going to use the AR leach to recover your gold (& possibly Pt) then after crushing use a magnet to remove magnetic metals - then nitric to remove primarily copper (lots of big pieces of copper) but this also puts Ag & Pd in solution.

Siphon of the Cu/Ag/Pd nitrate (well settled & clean) wash with D-water & let settle good & clear - repete 1 or 2 more times - this will get most (not all but most) of the Cu/Ag/Pd nitrate - clean & well settled (you want "very" little to no acid showing with a litmus test)

cement the Ag & Pd out with copper (I cement only the original nitrate & first 2 washes mixed together (you may need to evaporate some here depending on how much water used in the washes - you want it dilute but not to dilute) the next 1 or 2 washes are getting to dilute to worry about (I add HCL to the more dilute washes to recover the last of the Ag)

This is where I implement the the more vigorous washing (before panning) I was talking about.

This gives you a good clean minimal (or no) base metals & minimal ash for the AR leach.

Smelting is certainly another way to go - but for small batch AR leach I have had very good results using this process. It removes the base metals, removes & recovers the Ag/Pd & minimizes the ash for the AR gold leach.

Kurt

Opps - I should add one more step in this process - you don't get a really good crush the first time around because of the base metals (copper & magnetic wires) interfering with the crush.

So after the nitric treatment & before the vigorous washing I do another crush with a metal rolling pin on top of a 1/4 inch piece of tempered glass. Do it wet - the reason I do it on top of a thick piece of tempered glass is it squeegee's off real nice & you don't loose gold being smeared into a metal suface.

Kurt

samuel-a said:
Indeed you are! I hate the damned stuff.

Harold

Harold_V said:
samuel-a said:

Harold

Totally agree there Harold...lovely on a Christmas card or to look at on the television....vile to live with if like us here in the UK the world comes to a dead stop with an inch of snow! :twisted:

nickvc said:
Harold_V said:
samuel-a said:

Harold

Totally agree there Harold...lovely on a Christmas card or to look at on the television....vile to live with if like us here in the UK the world comes to a dead stop with an inch of snow! :twisted:
Interesting comment, Nick. When I lived in Utah, snow was commonplace. It took a huge storm (well over a foot) to shut down the city, but, here, in Washington, I've had my eyes opened. The snow, here, is wet and slippery. I no longer laugh when I see drivers struggling with an inch of snow. I can't drive in it, either, yet I generally had no issues with driving in over six inches in Utah.

Your snow in the UK must be much like ours here in Washington.

Harold

Another big problem here in Washington is the hills in most of our neighborhoods.
I remember one snow fall, & I "had" to take my oldest daughter to high school, (she "had" to meet with her friends), in my old '73 Dodge van. We went half way up the hill, then "stalled" & down the hill, out of control, doing 2 - 360 degree spins... :shock:
I told my daughter, YOU'RE MISSING SCHOOL TODAY!!! :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm finishing the process of the 3/4# of flat packs. I decanted & started rinsing the material, which will be followed by AR.

The 1.4# from ram chips I'll be doing a sample test of the brown sediment in HCl/Cl.
I was only able to precipitate about .5g out of the solution, (which now test positive for Pd!? I get a yellow-green swab.) I think some of the gold cemented because of the solution been saturated with base metals.

Phil

Attachments

• e-waste Recycle '12 007.JPG
    e-waste Recycle '12 007.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 303
  • e-waste Recycle '12 005.JPG
    e-waste Recycle '12 005.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 303
Smack, that's .5g of gold from the 1.4# of ram chips, (the second pic with the brown sediment). I believe there should be more, I either didn't dissolve properly or the gold cemented.

I'm filtering the AR from the 3/4# of flat packs & getting ready to precipitate.

Phil

every time i use poor mans AR on ceramics, i wind up with gold in the sediment. ive only done four batches of CPU's and two batches of IC's and it was the same each time. so what i do is run the AR once for about a half hour and pull it off. stannous will usually show barren solution or very weak positive.this solution will hold most of the silver and lead.i then do another run.i understand this doubles the waste chemicals but the second run is usually a very strong positive. i have room for the plastic drums to hold spent chemicals so no problems there. im usually cementing in one while adding to the other.

philddreamer said:
The result from the 3/4# of flat packs is .7g of gold. There was a positive stannous test for Pd, but that will go to the stock pot.

Phil

3/4# is it 0.75 lb? 340g?

Latest posts

Back