Iodine 7% Leach for Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been 30 years ago, in the Silicon Valley. Homick worked for a man that later became my partner. Homick's background was in printed circuits. I have never met him. I can't even remember my partner's name - the partnership didn't last long. All I remember is, that my partner went to a Rosicrucion temple and that he read palms in bars to get women.

I have recovered the gold from many iodine strippers used in electronics manufacturing, but I've never used the stripper, itself. I was very satisfied with cyanide. One of the beauties of cyanide is that you can destroy it. Until today, I hadn't read the iodine patent in 30 years.

A fume hood would be adequate. A good fume hood requires at least 100 cfm per sq.ft. of open area. Since iodine and chlorine are both halogens, I would expect a similar strong odor. Just a little bit would probably notify your nose that you were breathing the fumes.

You're right. The best things about this are that you can reuse it and that it's reasonably non-toxic.

You might have trouble using this on placer gold. Unlike plated gold, it always has some Cu, Ag, and other stuff alloyed with it (usually from about 2% to 35%, total). I2/KI is quite selective towards gold. It may, or may not, dissolve the particular alloy. Test with very small experiments. Also, rinsing would be critical, in your loose materials. Poor rinsing loses I2. You probably should save your rinses for I2 recovery.

The buffer thing is vague. It, as buffers do, mostly eliminates the need for pH adjustment. However, you have to start somewhere. Maybe, 1 or 2 ozs/gallon for start-up. A buffer is a buffer. Between certain concentration limits, you will get the same pH buffering (stability). He says the best pH is between 6 and 8. Check it after adding the buffer. You probably need a meter.

He also doesn't tell you how to extract and collect the iodine, for making up a fresh solution, when the Cu, Ni, etc., gets too high. I would guess you use distillation.

If your going to work with placer gold material, you need to concentrate it way down before you even thin of leaching it.
I posted this link before, but it will give you an idea about how to process the material.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdikUKNLCHY
Remember, crush the concentrate as fine as possible. This will free the gold and make classifivcation and concentration that much easier.

Chuck

Traveller11 said:
The other question I have has to do with the addition of a buffer to reduce the accumulation of salts during the reduction and precipitation stages. Although Mr. Homick goes into great detail about which chemicals are suitable as buffers, he does not mention at any point what volume of buffer to add or at what point in the procedure to add the buffer. Bob

If you read the patent fully and carefully, you can infer that the buffers are added to the Gold precipitant and the Iodine regeneration is done with H2O2.

Al

Hey Pd, I bet you like cats.

Many thanks for all your work on the handbooks and the Youtube video.

Did you ever hear a mountain lion scream in the middle of the night in the mountains about 100ft from your tent?

Happy holidays to all. ---- Al

I have a very good report on leaching gold from stream sediments with iodine. The recovery method is most unusual. If someone will pm me I will send to them for posting on the forum.

Randy in Gunnison

Here is what the report proposes for precipitating gold on a selective basis and recycling the lodine leach solution. Make a hot saturated solution of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) and add the leach solution slowly until all of the gold is precipitated. This works. The gold comes out a dark yellow color and the iodine solution is reusable. No pH adjustment is required.

Randy in Gunnison

Randy, I have used Ascorbic acid as a preciptiant. It works well within a proper Ph range from Chloride solutions.
But on this method with Iodine leach, I don`t see how the Iodine leach solution is quickly re-used. Because the excess Ascorbic acid has to be removed. You would have to precipitate the Iodine, then re-make the leach solution.

Al

Hi Guy's :)

Long time no posting here.
I was wondering if anybody figured out how to reuse the iodine??

Turbo.

Obviously not, but I would like Shecker and Eagle2 to continue the discussion. I am interested. Any one else have anything more to add?

Are there any Chemist Pros in this forum, who can solve the problem and know how to get the Ascorbic Acid out of the iodine leach. Would be interested to hear is somebody can solve this problem.

Hello fellow Refiners,
I am looking for the"Iodine Leaching Manual in pdf" form fom Gold World ,does somebody have one and would like to share it with me. If you would like to share please PM me.
Thanks so much for you help.

CAUTION:
Mono-atomics: Become radioactive when heated. It's best to just discard them, it is very unlikely that any of us amiatures can coax it back to a non mono-atomic state

sounds like an urban legend to me...does anybody know the source of that theory? Maybe if you heat them to some million degrees celsius by letting them collide at 90% of lights velocity? Sure, then you will get radiation from every kind of particle. Radioactivity comes from the nucleus - always. Radiation that does not come from the nucleus isn't radioactivity. You cannot change anything in the nucleus by chemistry! Sky is blue, water is wet and you cannot change anything in the nucleus by chemistry.

I can't belive that in all this discussion on IODINE , nobody has said anything about Dr. Ted Williams. :cry: He wrote many papers on gold recovery and had a web site.. Try to find the web site or info on him. Hedid a lot of work with IODINE from start to recovery for reuse.

Wish I had the info but I don't...

Hope this helps

Apparently there are several forms of this Iodine leach, I concentrated my study on the basic triodide gold leach, staying away from the ammonium Iodide as I understand it could be an explosive.

Iodine Iodide
Note: I have not used it, and have only done some study on it, and this is the way I understand the process.

Just a little information on this Halide leach:

Iodine (I2) is much more expensive from chlorine, as iodine comes from seaweed kelp being a main source.

It is my belief it would be harder to dissolve and precipitate gold from this solution as easily as we do with the chlorine halogens, iodide solutions can be used to leach ore, but I really do not know it is that popular in the mining industry, expense of the leach, and other related factors.

When I buy iodine by the gallon for treating Horse hoof thrush I have to give them several forms of ID my name is added to a list turned over to authority's of who bought the chemical from the farm and feed store, I guess it is used in illegal drug making and is a highly watched chemical now a days,I cannot even get it from the pharmacy any more.

Iodine in its elemental state is oxidized, it is in this state that it is needed to react with gold to dissolve it (oxidizing the gold and in the process the Iodine is reduced), problem is in this state it is a blue black solid which will not dissolve in water (only very slightly soluble), potassium iodide (KI) is the reduced state of iodine which is a liquid, the iodine will dissolve in this potassium iodide solution forming (KI3) triiodide (Lugol's solution) basically three iodide atoms, so now we can dissolve gold with this solution.
KI + I2 -->KI3

After gold is leached into the iodide solution (red brown solution), Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) can be use to reduce the iodine in solution to iodide and precipitate the gold, at this point the solution will go more colorless as the sodium iodide (NaI) which is colorless, gold being impure is a black powder.
I2 + NaOH -->NaI

Iodide (I) can be oxidized back to iodine (I2) with chlorine (or with sodium hypochlorite also called bleach).
2KI + Cl2 --> 2KCl + I2
If excess chlorine a solid iodine would form.

Silver nitrate (AgNO3) and potassium iodide would form silver iodide (yellow silver precipitant) and potassium nitrate solution.
AgNO3 + KI --> AgNO3 + KNO3
This silver salt, like the silver chloride salt is light sensitive, and can be used in photography; the light can reduce the silver to elemental silver metal and iodine.
2AgI--light--> 2Ag + I2

Unlike silver chloride, silver iodide is not soluble in ammonia solutions.

here in the above discussion the iodide is normally oxidized and the iodine is reduced when it reacts to ozixize the gold into solution, and gold is oxidized to a potassium gold iodide solution and sodium hydroxide used to precipitate gold and reduced remaining iodine, the iodide leach is reusable, by oxidizing it back to iodine (mixed or dissolved in potassium iodide to form triodide ready to dissolve more gold).
At least this is how I understand what I have studied so far.
Butcher

Some links for further research:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=15411&p=156236&hilit=IODINE#p156236
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/result.html?query_txt=iodine leach
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_e ... s_occt=any
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/result.html?query_txt=iodine leach
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5690&hilit=IODINE
http://webpages.charter.net/kwilliams00/bcftp/bcftp.htm

staying away from the ammonium Iodide as I understand it could be an explosive.

yes, NH3 and iodine will form nitrogene iodide, which ist quite dangerous when it is dry. A fly, that would try to land on it, would blow itself in the air. It's an old demonstration experiment, but I've never tried it - and I don't want to! :lol: ...so never let iodine come in contact with NH3 - its non-predictable unless you are a) a chemist and b) know really and exactly, what you are doing, c) have a safe place to do it and d) are allowed to do it by law.

Thanks for the links! I have read a lot about it since last. I think I can start my leaching project with safe material like ram-pins (only Cu and Au). Connector pins and ICs have to wait untill I've solved some questions.

cobber iodide isnt soluable
nickel iodide is soluable, but since the goldlayer is thin and the reaction slow, it wont be so much nickel to deal with in the waste
tin iodide is very poison....on the other hand nickelsalts are very poison too. So maybe I am only a little too anxious.
arsen could be a problem in ICs, but leaching ICs seems to be quite normal after all, though cancerogene it is still used as rat poison,in accumulator lead and in agriculture

I'm sure the leach will cumulatively be loaded with highly dangerous material with every re-use.

Some completions:
1. KI + I2 dissolve gold as KAuI4
2. To get the gold you add NaOH, as was said
but you will get an iodide precipitate. Wait
24 hours.
Decant the liquid and HEAT the precipitate
with fresh NaOH. Only then you will be able
to check the gold with HNO3 (not giving
out iodine sublimate)
This procedure appears in "29 recovery procedures"

Maybe redundant, but I think it's worth posting here:

I have tried some different probes to process with iodine/iodid and my experiences are:

only gold like glucose test strips - top
only gold on copper like RAM - top
plated pins with only a bit solder - very bad compared with a cell (white precipitate, maybe nonsoluble lead iodide, silver iodide and/or stannous hydrates, :evil: much work to find out later)

pro: if treated well, not much waste / all iodine can be recycled / doesn't take copper / takes Au and PGM in one process
contra: though it's less dangerous (could be a nice school experiment with non-contaminated gold), it is still more something for (bored) professionals

conclusion: very special, in some very few constellations (material/person/place) may it be one of the best alternatives, for all teachers a MUST HAVE TRIED

Have a nice day!

Latest posts

Back