Iodine 7% Leach for Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all iodine can be recycled

But that may be as easy as read, if you use only iodine. Then it's slow and weak because of the little amount of iodine that is soluble in water.

Williams method to get iodine back from iodide didn't work in my experiments, it stayed dissolved, didn't want to precipitate. Still searching the texts where I got something wrong.
To get the iodine out of the iodine/iodide by widely known methods will be much work. Traditionally it must be extracted from the brown solution with some non-polar dissolver, which then must be destilled off.....possible, but not really economic.

AND iodine/iodide obviously likes nickel :cry: I used 600ml iodine/iodide on 600g 50%-plated pins (not rinsed of solder - big mistake!), the gold is not complety gone, there is yellow-white pricipitate and DMG seems to be positive on nickel (pink precipitate, but I didnt use NH4OH! :shock: ). DMG is negative on palladium.

Now I will run the batch with the good old sulfuric cell, which works fine for me.

Still, I will store iodine-leaching in my repertoire for two cases:
a) as a school experiment with pure gold on unused diabetic strips or gold leaves
b) for full-platings with plastics that can't/must not be removed as for some kind of transistors (don't open or smash them them: As, BeO) as long as I don't dare cyanide-leaching

Edit: Forget "b)"! And cyanide has to be treated by professionals with professional equipment and sealed systems. What is left over is, that I think iodine etching is interesting, but no alternative to the common methods of small quantity recovery.

I hope this helps others.

iODINE Leach ok why im giving this. I dont know why im doing this but some need help ok
1. 7 to 10% iodine (providone)
2.M uriatic acid 33%
3. Sodium Hydroxide
4. 100 mesh zcreen
ground ore w ater to absorb powder 1 ounce ore powder add 2 oz i Iodine from feed store add 33%% muriatic acid( thats 33% hcl in should be at 450 to 475 ORP Meter. in gallon jar or plastic jar 3/4 full ORP wil be under 900 no irons must be picked up yet ph at 2 or below no less than .1 drops of hcl if needed. color will turn from red to brown. pour off carefully leaving residue rinse and repeat water should contrain gold silver and pgm's now lixiviant is AT NEUTRAL (.7}. sodium Borohydride USE for precipitant you need lots of hydrogen that ultimatly reduces all metal salts to native metals or try T 6 before getting rid of bring ph to 7 using sodium hydroxide.

Latest posts

Back