Iridium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lino1406 said:
Sorry I can't give mine details. I brought the photo to show 1) how iridium ore is expected
to look, and 2) XRF reading when there is a very big peak (iron) against a very small one
By the way, the iridium was found by XRF after an oxone (KHSO5) extractiion and enrichment. It is assumed
that the smallness of iridium particles helps in extraction

Want a brief detail on oxone extraction. If you can share with us
Our ore same as you show in picture. And i wastvtrying upload a video but it gives error. Here are some pics of ore. And one more thing may be not clear that the percentage of IR in the ore is not so high but we have a large ton quantity to process. Whatever we get is not from few kg ore, but a large quantity to get grams of IR.

g_axelsson said:
The two last pictures shows two obviously melted pieces of metal and the xrf analyze of the metal blob.

How was the metal button made? By the lab or by someone else? Do you have a proper assay of the ore?

In a normal ore the precious metal is measured in grams per ton, how much ore were used to create those buttons?

Generally speaking, the XRF test of the pure metal is not an assay of the ore, it is an assay of the button. The composition of an ore usually affect how to process it. That is why an assay is usually done that not only shows the amount of precious metals but also shows the other elements, especially problematic elements as arsenic and mercury. Other things that might be of interest is in what kind of size do the metal occur? For example if the metal is concentrated in few but big grains the ore can be ground to a coarse size and concentrated by mechanical means (for example a shaker table) If the metal is following a sulfide mineral then flotation might be the most effective way to create a concentrate that can be smelted... and so on. There are a lot of different ways to process ores.

To just put it in a kiln and try to smelt it might work or it might fail, but the more you know about the ore the easier it is to select a working process.

Göran
Ore was smelted by some common smelters in Pakistan, the take ore and give metal after few days.
How they did, they make it mystery.
Shaker table is a good idea,
At the time we are looking just for idea to extract the metal from ore, then purify it, extraction is harder but knowing an ore is tha hardest part.
I got crushed ore and it heated my thumb as I touches the crushed ore

g_axelsson said:
The two last pictures shows two obviously melted pieces of metal and the xrf analyze of the metal blob.

How was the metal button made? By the lab or by someone else? Do you have a proper assay of the ore?

In a normal ore the precious metal is measured in grams per ton, how much ore were used to create those buttons?

Generally speaking, the XRF test of the pure metal is not an assay of the ore, it is an assay of the button. The composition of an ore usually affect how to process it. That is why an assay is usually done that not only shows the amount of precious metals but also shows the other elements, especially problematic elements as arsenic and mercury. Other things that might be of interest is in what kind of size do the metal occur? For example if the metal is concentrated in few but big grains the ore can be ground to a coarse size and concentrated by mechanical means (for example a shaker table) If the metal is following a sulfide mineral then flotation might be the most effective way to create a concentrate that can be smelted... and so on. There are a lot of different ways to process ores.

To just put it in a kiln and try to smelt it might work or it might fail, but the more you know about the ore the easier it is to select a working process.

Göran
What the ways to get know elements in ore ? You can describe batter, or Any kinda post, book, special techniques?

Here is the way I worked: Grinding to around 100 mesh. Activation with 20% H2O2 (alternative to roasting at 700C) for few hours until end of bubbling. Addition of H2SO4 to resume bubbling - 1/2 hr. Replacement of the liquid with aqua regia 20 hrs (occasional stirring). This gave some iridium in solution. Next I took the rest solids and added oxone and water - 24hrs (occasional stirring). The resulting solution contained additional iridium

Lino1406 said:
Here is the way I worked: Grinding to around 100 mesh. Activation with 20% H2O2 (alternative to roasting at 700C) for few hours until end of bubbling. Addition of H2SO4 to resume bubbling - 1/2 hr. Replacement of the liquid with aqua regia 20 hrs (occasional stirring). This gave some iridium in solution. Next I took the rest solids and added oxone and water - 24hrs (occasional stirring). The resulting solution contained additional iridium

H2o2 and then h2so4 to resume bubling?

Oxone is out of reach but we will see if it's below the expenses, wet way will nearly help to recover most of metals,
What if instead of h2o2, roast and do a little magnetation then go further?
Thanks for helpful start

ashir said:
What the ways to get know elements in ore ? You can describe batter, or Any kinda post, book, special techniques?

You send it to a lab that can do a proper assay of the ore.

Göran

ashir said:
Lino1406 said:

Oxone is out of reach but we will see if it's below the expenses, wet way will nearly help to recover most of metals,
Thanks for helpful start
Using a magnet (High flux rare-earth) can be helpful. Iridium has a high affinity for Iron they are likely to be found together. Iridium is usually found in combination with Rhodium and other PGMs.

g_axelsson said:
ashir said:

You send it to a lab that can do a proper assay of the ore.

Göran
No such lab which can describe us.

AshesoftheUniverse said:
ashir said:
Lino1406 said:

Thanks for helpful start
Using a magnet (High flux rare-earth) can be helpful. Iridium has a high affinity for Iron they are likely to be found together. Iridium is usually found in combination with Rhodium and other PGMs.
What will be suitable way to start this ore on smal, on large scale, any general discussion

"Ashes from the universe"
Reason for iron and iridium resemblance a similar hybridization of electrons.
Iridium has indeed magnetic properties. Watch this Indian "old trick"

Attachments

• iridium1.jpg
    iridium1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 324
Lino1406 said:

Awesome

Lino1406 said:
Thank you for this interesting information. Notice the distinct pink color of the coin imparted by the Iridium content, also the good condition due to the hardness imparted by the content.
It's also interesting that they would choose such a low denomination for the coin. Back in 1818, it didn't have much value.
I suspect the Iridium was a by-product of Placer Gold refining. The insoluble residue from the operation was exposed to molten Copper to extract the Iridium and produce a hard alloy suitable for coins of mass circulation. "Everything but the squeal" as the Swift Premium abbatoir operators used to say.

Lino1406 said:
When IR is in oxone water solution what will be the best way to precipitate the IR ,

Lino1406 said:
Exposed to air? Please re-phrase what you mean

Yes and sorry it was because combine study and posting of IR and waste treatment.
IR in finely divided powder shape can be more dangerous if not handled properly? Like exposing to air, direct fire to powder

Back