Magnetic Pins?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copperkid_18

I read in another post that you can only process non-magnetic pins in AP, Is this true? If so what is another easy process to use b/c all my pins are magnetic, thanks Copperkid

jimdoc said:
Are they slightly magnetic? if so it may just be the nickel layer under the gold.
Jim

I used a harddrive magnet and they barely stuck, so it's probably nickel like you said, Thanks! will AP dissolve nickel?

Ok, now I have the pins in a pyrex dish and it is really warm when you touch it. is this normal? Please correct me if im wrong, let sit until dissolved and then filter the gold out?!?

Attachments

• IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 408
Have you read the copper chloride etchant document on my website?

It explains the colors and chemistry behind the AP reaction.

Steve

copperkid_18 said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
How much of what did you put in there?

Did you measure what you put in there or just eye ball it?

a 1 1/2 cups of hcl to 3/4 cups of peroxide

Paitence then and let your solution work. And go to Steves site and read what his recomendation is.

And do not put that dish on a hot plate.

Barren Realms 007 said:
Paitence then and let your solution work. And go to Steves site and read what his recomendation is.

And do not put that dish on a hot plate.

i went to steves site, but what is the doc. called?

AP on pins might take weeks rather than days. I had mine in about 15 days. I agitated solution once twice a day. At the end I was left with black coloured AP and nice gold foils. Patience.

I haven't had time to read the forum as thoroughly as I typically do lately, so this is a bit late.

Looking at your pictures you used too much H2O2 and have put a fair amount of gold into solution. Not the end of the world, but it means that as your reaction continues the gold will be cemented on the base metals as a fine black powder, at least as long as you do not keep overdosing it with oxidizers.

I am a fan of slow and steady for this reaction and only use bubbled air as my oxidizer. This saves you the cost of H2O2 and does not dilute your HCl. The lower oxidizing potential also allows the acid to preferentially attack the base metals giving you a higher percentage of your gold as foils instead of as finely divided black cement gold.

You need an air bubbler. If you don't use one once the peroxide is used up the reaction will all but stop.

I can't agree more with patnor1011 on this one as to patience being the key with AP, if you are in a greater rush this is the wrong way to process your materials. It is for this reason I do not even use H2O2 in the beginning. Even with just a bubbler you need to stop adding air in a timely manner as HCl with air will put gold, palladium, and platinum into solution once the base metals are in solution.

Latest posts

Back