Mini AP Setup

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for my noob type question. I ordered lazersteves DVD and have read Ms. Hokes book. I want to start a small set up like what you have. I want to experiment and get it right. Plus i only see myself doing small batches like you until I can really find alot of RAM for later. So just a couple questions. I would like to see a picture of your entire set up, to see what equipment you use (if that is possible?). Since your fingers are not in a basket, how do you get them out or rinse them before filtering out your foils. I also see you do not dissolve your foils like shown in lazersteves video, do you just separate the clean foils from the pieces with green solder with tweezers and then dissolve and filter those pieces later (your pic of 2 beakers show them separated, maybe for later)? Those are just a couple questions I have. I look forward to trying to mimic your "desktop" set up. I love the small mini concept of it, especially since this is going to just start as a hobby. Maybe later on it will be come bigger. Thank you!

Steve,

Thanks for you expert advice. My plan was to try and get the foils as clean as I could, then go back and rewash the foils again. From what I am reading once you think you have them as clean as you can, you have to do it again and again. Before I move on to the dissolution step, I am going to take the foils place into beaker than add the hcl, stir let settle, the siphon off the hcl, and repeat. Leave the foils inside that beaker to perform the dissolution step with the hcl Clorox solution.

I think that most of you guys would be horrified with my recovery process. I picture most of the people on this forum as scientist who do not even waste a nano particle of gold. For me after I am done with a filter, I think I've done the best I could with getting the gold off of it and place it into a zip lock bag, thinking in total, I have lost maybe two single foils (it is probably much more).

nivrnb said:
Steve,

Thanks for you expert advice. My plan was to try and get the foils as clean as I could, then go back and rewash the foils again. From what I am reading once you think you have them as clean as you can, you have to do it again and again. Before I move on to the dissolution step, I am going to take the foils place into beaker than add the hcl, stir let settle, the siphon off the hcl, and repeat. Leave the foils inside that beaker to perform the dissolution step with the hcl Clorox solution.

I think that most of you guys would be horrified with my recovery process. I picture most of the people on this forum as scientist who do not even waste a nano particle of gold. For me after I am done with a filter, I think I've done the best I could with getting the gold off of it and place it into a zip lock bag, thinking in total I have lost maybe two single foils (it is probably much more).

:lol: im not laugh at you by no means, but geez, i wish that was true. i lost almost an entire ounce of gold once by trying to evaporate water. yep, trying to evaporate water. i left a little over an ounce of gold powder warming on a hotplate to go eat supper and dozed off in my lazy chair, my son woke me and ask "dad, is that coffee pot supposed to be smoking like that?" i ran out and steam explosions had thrown gold as far as ten feet from the pot. i know this because i found some on the satellite dish 10 feet away. i recovered a few grams

afreakofnature said:
Sorry for my noob type question. I ordered lazersteves DVD and have read Ms. Hokes book. I want to start a small set up like what you have. I want to experiment and get it right. Plus i only see myself doing small batches like you until I can really find alot of RAM for later. So just a couple questions. I would like to see a picture of your entire set up, to see what equipment you use (if that is possible?). Since your fingers are not in a basket, how do you get them out or rinse them before filtering out your foils. I also see you do not dissolve your foils like shown in lazersteves video, do you just separate the clean foils from the pieces with green solder with tweezers and then dissolve and filter those pieces later (your pic of 2 beakers show them separated, maybe for later)? Those are just a couple questions I have. I look forward to trying to mimic your "desktop" set up. I love the small mini concept of it, especially since this is going to just start as a hobby. Maybe later on it will be come bigger. Thank you!

Afreakofnature,
Great questions let me do my best to answer. Pictures of my entire set up, I can but this will take me a bit. But what I have posted is pretty much most of it. I really don't show the air bubbler, or the plastic pipettes photo below. Fingers are not in a basket like lazersteves, how I remove them. Now, this is just me, what I do is I siphon off enough AP to get at the ram sticks with tweezers (plastic). Lift them up, use the pipette with the remaining AP to wash them into the container (that they are in). Do this until the foils come off, if hard to remove, I loosen them with a long needle. Wash them all into the container. I then take the now depopulated ram sticks out and place them into a cup or small container of water. Then place them into a bag to dispose.

The diagram I am showing is only how I get the foils into the filter and clean them, I have not disolved any foils yet. Yes, I use tweezers to get rid of any solder mask that gets into the filter. I get most of them but they are brittle and break into smaller and smaller pieces. Lazersteve has a great video of how to remove the solder mask before the AP process. Now the smaller particles of solder mask that are in with my foils, I will leave in there until the Acid Clorox method.

Thanks for your questions, I hope I answered them for you, if not let me know.

nivrnb

Attachments

• pipet-v2.jpg
    pipet-v2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 146
Geo said:
nivrnb said:
Steve,

I think that most of you guys would be horrified with my recovery process. I picture most of the people on this forum as scientist who do not even waste a nano particle of gold. For me after I am done with a filter, I think I've done the best I could with getting the gold off of it and place it into a zip lock bag, thinking in total I have lost maybe two single foils (it is probably much more).

:lol: im not laugh at you by no means, but geez, i wish that was true. i lost almost an entire ounce of gold once by trying to evaporate water. yep, trying to evaporate water. i left a little over an ounce of gold powder warming on a hotplate to go eat supper and dozed off in my lazy chair, my son woke me and ask "dad, is that coffee pot supposed to be smoking like that?" i ran out and steam explosions had thrown gold as far as ten feet from the pot. i know this because i found some on the satellite dish 10 feet away. i recovered a few grams

Geo,

I have read your story and I really feel for you. I can just imagine, that’s what you call a very bad day. I have also read how someone was getting ready to melt some gold and the torch flame blew the gold out of the dish, another horrible day. But because people like you are sharing heartbreaking stories it helps newbies like me to be spared (hopefully) of some "bad days". But nothing could be as bad as being physical injured by using these processes. (SAFETY FIRST) I've had my share.

Have a great day.

Latest posts

Back