Need serious help from an expert!!!!!!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airstr5000

Well I have a dilemma. I have multiple options and dont know what to do. I have a recovery machine on eBay for 200 bucks able to recover 1 ounce of gold scrap per week. There is a 600 dollar kit on the ishor gold refining website. There is also a 30k-50k machine that is a turn-key system all automated. It can process many ounces of gold per hour.there is the link....http://www.americhem.biz/_amprep/gb.htm which method should I choose? I am able to get computers for 3 dollars each whole, up to 5 dollars. Which method would be the most cost efficient and do any of these methods seem like a rip off. I need an expert on this and I want this to be as profitable and problem free as possible so any help or comments is very much appreciated. Thank you have a great day.

Neither one is suitable for most computer scrap. I believe they are designed for Karat gold and plating solutions.

To be serious, none of the above! All you need is to study this forum and read C. M. Hohe's book, which is a free download fom various members of the forum. Use the search function at the upper right corner. Best of luck.

So the 30-50k machine isn't suitable for removing gold or precious metals from computer scrap? This guy insisted that I would achieve 99.5 percent gold purity( although he did say I would need other machines for the other precious metals) sorry to be a bother but I want the safest, simple, and most cost effective approach.

The processes described here on this forum will produce purer values for much less cost than any machine on the market. There are many video’s out there which will describe how to process the scrap material you are talking about. One of the finest is at lazersteve’s site. If you can spare $25.00 it will give you a good start on your education. http://www.goldrecovery.us/site.asp

Airstr5000 it sounds like your looking for a fast eazy way to make quick cash.
I do not think its possible.. You must read as much as you can from safety, to the many diffrent refining methods. There is no easy dollar....... at least i havent found it yet.

jimmydolittle said:
To be serious, none of the above! All you need is to study this forum and read C. M. Hohe's book, which is a free download fom various members of the forum. Use the search function at the upper right corner. Best of luck.

The book you told me about is almost 400 pages!!! What pages are the best for computer scrap precious metal recovery. Thank you.

Airstr5000 to fully understand the refining process you must read the entire book. perhalps more than once even.... and dont stop there you can never learn to much!

slickdogg said:
Airstr5000 to fully understand the refining process you must read the entire book. perhalps more than once even.... and dont stop there you can never learn to much!
You are absolutely right but I have no job and I am trying to make this a substantial business as quick as possible. So of course I will read all of the book but I would rather skim to what I need to know now and read the rest later.

You will learn something you will use on almost every page. You need to get an understanding of what you are trying to do. Think of removing gold from escrap as trying to unbake a cake. Hoke tells you how to do this in an easy and logical way. Escrap is not her focus but the lessons are the same for escrap.

glondor said:
You will learn something you will use on almost every page. You need to get an understanding of what you are trying to do. Think of removing gold from escrap as trying to unbake a cake. Hoke tells you how to do this in an easy and logical way. Escrap is not her focus but the lessons are the same for escrap.
I see. So there is no specific part of the book for escrap? I need to read the WHOLE book to understand how to remove precious metals from escrap?

Airstr5000 said:
I see. So there is no specific part of the book for escrap? I need to read the WHOLE book to understand how to remove precious metals from escrap?

You will probably need to read 50 books to actually know how to turn profits from e-scrap processing on a small scale... and even then...
Better start with Hoke book.

Invest first in knowledgen not machins, they won't do you any good if you don't know what you are doing.
Good luck.

p.s. - you can turn each tower easily to 10-15$ just by dismantling and sorting... why not start there if you need fast cash?

Astro5000, If I were in your shoes, I'd listen closely to what Sam is telling you.
p.s. - you can turn each tower easily to 10-15$ just by dismantling and sorting... why not start there if you need fast cash?[/quote]

Refining involves using hazardous chemicals. Safety is of the utmost importance. It’s not hard to learn, but you’ll need to understand how things work. Depending on where you live, you’ll need permits and zoning ordinances to operate a refining business. There will also be waste removal you’ll have to encounter. Everyone on this forum wants you to succeed. Until you learn how, patience is virtuous.

Here is a thread you might try to get free machines.http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7735&start=220

I have a bit of time before I need to get to my shop so I will take a crack at it. for precious metals you have .... processors which come in about 40 or more types and construction styles. green fiber ,brown fiber, black fiber ceramic,with lids, without lids, with gold lid,s with 1 gold lid, tungsten based ,kovar based, copper based, aluminum based, or any combination of metals. with solder, without solder, gold /tin solder gold/silver solder lead/tin solder. with micro wires, without. Ram fingers, chips various base metals. pins all shapes and sizes all types of base metal and all kinds of yields. Cards, flatpacks, gold corners, monolithic caps,reed switches, dip switches, relays, contacts, high grade, medium grade, low grade, plated, rolled gold ,gold filled and so on.

You have to learn about the base metal for each style and type of component, how to eliminate base metals, how to recognize what you are looking at, how to test metals. Best recommendation is to read hoke, buy goldsilverpros book on ewaste recovery and refining and go to Lasersteves site to watch his videos. Samuel-a has a very fine site as well. Read many many posts.

You need to decide which material you will try to process first. Many start with ram fingers in a/p as it is about the easiest to learn and will teach you many basic things. Move on to a sulfuric stripping cell for lids and more a/p for processor bodies. Continue with ball milling for ceramics, sodium hydroxide stripping for boards as well as incineration for chips. All of these will school you in filtering methods, base metal removal, dissolving values and dropping gold and other values. Along the way you will learn silver, platinum and palladium recovery as well as how to inquart, cement, wash, dish prepration, fluxing, melt and admire your work. In my opinion, with diligence you will have a basic knowledge in about a year to a year and a half. You will never stop learning and you will make many mistakes. If you understand all of what I wrote above you are off to a good start. If you don't understand any of it.......... buy the books, read the forum.... Enjoy the ride.

Airstr5000
it takes on average well over a hundred desktop computers to get an ounce of gold.that's alot of work involved in stripping the cases,cutting fingers,PCI slots and cherry picking whats left.unless you have an army of free help there's no need in trying to make a living from this.its a fun way to pass time and make a little on the side if you know what your doing.if you don't you will wind up wasting money on chemicals and tossing your gold away before you quit in disgust.my advise would be, don't quit your day job.acquire your scrap and stockpile.on average it takes 15 pounds of clean close cut fingers to get an ounce of gold.that's a volume that's hard to imagine unless you have seen it before.im not trying to discourage you but if you pour alot of resources into this without knowing what your doing you will definitely wreck your pocketbook and also your health which is so much worse because no amount of gold is worth your good health.read,learn do the simple reactions in C.M.Hokes book to get familiar with working with chemicals and then start with something small and easy like fingers and work your way up slowly.
good luck
Jeff

Airstr5000 said:
jimmydolittle said:

The book you told me about is almost 400 pages!!! What pages are the best for computer scrap precious metal recovery. Thank you.

Somebody seriously misled you. If you think that electronics recycling is making profit on gold something is wrong.
Precious metals are just a fraction of any profit this companies generate. Icing on a cake. Bulk of their profit comes from recovery of basic metals like copper, aluminium, nickel, iron....
And from government and producers who pay them for recycling electronic waste.

Airstr5000,
My suggestion, spend your time focusing on getting work (a job, or any job, even flipping burgers if that is what it takes, start your own small business, building sheds or dog houses, tuning up cars, housecleaning, cut and sell fire wood, mow lawns, or whatever your skills allow), to put bread on your table.

You will not make a living from electronic scrap recovery, or even recycling, unless you done it on industrial scale.

After you get food on the table and work, then you can spend time with this.

After you have work and bread on the table, if you want to get money from gold and silver, here would be my suggestion:
Educate yourself, work on your skills, study testing of jewelry and scrap (you can start with pawnbrokers Bob testing of metals, and touching metals just search for these, and study other methods also), also learn to identify the markings on gold or silver, learn to calculate the value, practice these skills, once armed with this knowledge, take some of that money from working your day job (or mowing the lawns) and (after you have bread on your table) and go to flea markets, auctions, second hand store's garage sells and the public and buy scrap jewelry, buy at lower but fair price and resale at higher price, (your education and skill can help you make money) now after you can put steak on the table then learn to refine your gold, and have fun with electronic scrap as a hobby.
Good luck and find that job.

Airstr5000 said:
Well I have a dilemma. I have multiple options and dont know what to do. I have a recovery machine on eBay for 200 bucks able to recover 1 ounce of gold scrap per week. There is a 600 dollar kit on the ishor gold refining website. There is also a 30k-50k machine that is a turn-key system all automated. It can process many ounces of gold per hour.there is the link....http://www.americhem.biz/_amprep/gb.htm which method should I choose? I am able to get computers for 3 dollars each whole, up to 5 dollars. Which method would be the most cost efficient and do any of these methods seem like a rip off. I need an expert on this and I want this to be as profitable and problem free as possible so any help or comments is very much appreciated. Thank you have a great day.

These stats are right from the forum.

Total posts 115384 • Total topics 11305

Do you really think an automated system at any price could solve all your problems and still leave so much to discuss?

Yet you ask that it all be laid before you on a couple pages?

You can't be serious. :roll:

To do it on a small scale and make a living (not knowing what your bills are) I would be looking else where. It's a lot of work and time consuming to rip all these computers apart. And to do it on a large scale you would have to have some serious ching in the bank because of the crazy overhead you would have. You could plow snow (low overhead) in the winter, cut grass (low overhead) in the summer or cut grass all year round if your down south. You should charge at least $50 per hour to cut grass depending on your location. If your in the right area you can charge $100 per hour.

You are being done a substantial favor and you are saving a pile of money if you pay attention to what you are being told.

If you think you can speedily ramp up a *profitable* computer-refining escrap business knowing nothing, which is where you are for all practical purposes, no insult intended, you're just wrong. Just flaming, bodacious wrong. If you just listen to that sentence, you have probably made at least hundreds of dollars by simply disabusing yourself of thinking you can start such a business quickly and then actually making the mistake of doing it.

Refining as a hobby or as a business using chemicals and chemical techniques to produce pure precious metals is utterly incompatible with "speedy". It's the farthest thing from a beginner's goofball weekend project. It's deliberate, controlled, obsessive with procedure, involves very dangerous, somewhat expensive chemicals, safety gear, and a lot of precautions WHICH INCLUDES spending time reading about what you are doing and understanding it very, very well. Too fast and you burn or blind yourself, kill yourself, set something ablaze, lose your metals, or create a serious mess, or a combination of those. If you're not the studious type or are in too big a hurry, do not get into refining at first.

That is not to say that you can't *GATHER* and *process* (in this case, *process* means take apart, separate parts of) throwaway PCs DRY, JUST TAKING THEM APART, and make 70% of what you would make chemically processing the gold (but without having any dealings with chemicals and their dangers) and whatever you can make scrapping the non-gold-bearing parts. THIS type of business you could start and get up and running very quickly. To do the refining, you would have to become an expert gatherer anyway, right? Think about 100 PCs to make an ounce of gold, how much room and time that would take, where you would get rid of the non-gold bearing stuff.

If you think you can make money processing escrap, you can, if you can locate and acquire a viable flow of dead computers. Refining from this particular source turns out be a tad problematic. In a garage, you cannot forklift pallets of dead computers AND carry out delicate chemical processes. The volume of material you have to handle via escrap usually means you need more room...and it's not entirely clear you make better money refining it than reselling it.

This is the conclusion one comes to when one reads posts from at least 10 GRF members and they all say similar.

Latest posts

Back