Need Urgent Advice...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malikjob07

Dear followers :
I'd recently bought a two ton of sim card rolls and i'd recoved all the gold in( that what i thought it is ) and when i use a magnet it attracted to it, so i took a sample to a jeweler and he test it then he told me that it is not a gold , but i did not convinced , i thought all electronic conductor are gold plated "especially sim cards" :?: !!!
What would you advice me guys...took a sample to another jeweler or should i start to consider it not a gold plated :cry: .

We need more information to give proper advice, what exactly have you done, with which chemicals and what precipitant?
I'd guess that you used ferrous but it's only just that, a guess.
More and full information please.

Hi malikjob07, as nickvc said a lot of important details are missing. Anyhow I'm surprised how come you didn't use Stannous Chloride from the beginning.

Marco

well actually i didn't use any chemical i just used a heat then the gold plated took off :arrow:

And when the gold plated took off from the ribbon ...i took the foils to a jeweler and you know the rest of the story..................

Seriously i didn't do that much....i bought a sim card ribbons around two ton then i used a heat gun to took all the gold foils on the ribbon .....then i took a sample of foils to a jeweler and he told me that there is no sign of gold in the foils but i didn't convinced " like i said before" , so i asked for advice, should i see another jeweler or stop right here ?
Thanks

malikjob07 said:
Seriously i didn't do that much....i bought a sim card ribbons around two ton then i used a heat gun to took all the gold foils on the ribbon .....then i took a sample of foils to a jeweler and he told me that there is no sign of gold in the foils but i didn't convinced " like i said before" , so i asked for advice, should i see another jeweler or stop right here ?
Thanks

Hopefully you didn't throw away the balance of the plastics because there is the possibility of a small amount of gold under the plastics.

well i don't think so Barren Realms 007 the gold plated is just on the surface side

Attachments

• Sim Card 5.JPG
    Sim Card 5.JPG
    131.7 KB
malikjob07 said:
well actually i didn't use any chemical i just used a heat then the gold plated took off :arrow:

Since you did not use chemicals, the gold foils are possibly gold, nickel "magnetic", and copper.

I took gold fingers "foils" that I cut off with a blade, to the jewelry store, and they used an XRF. It said no gold, but I know that it is on there, because I recovered it. Sometimes the machine does not show gold properly, because the plating is very thin.

How did the jeweler check the foils?

You should dissolve a small sample, then test it with stannous chloride, to make sure.

Edit - I knew I saw that picture before http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13051&start=30

I would like to thank you Grelko for sharing your information with me....and to answer your question the jeweler tested the sample by the acid , and i have a doubt he use 18k acid. that's why i didn't get convinced with his result

malikjob07 said:
I would like to thank you Grelko for sharing your information with me....and to answer your question the jeweler tested the sample by the acid , and i have a doubt he use 18k acid. that's why i didn't get convinced with his result

18K gold is 75%, the foil is probably .002%. The plating on the foil is too thin to test with acid. If I take a gold "plated" necklace to my jewelry store and they use the acid test, they would tell me, there is no gold. (but there is a little gold for plating)

Do you have a picture of the foils?

malikjob07 said:
no, but i will take a pic tomorrow for the foils....what would you advise me to do Grelko ?

If you dissolve a small sample of foils, then test it with stannous chloride, it will tell you if there is gold.

If you do this, please read and learn how to do it in a safe way, before you use chemicals to dissolve the foils.

If you use the "search" button, there are links for sim cards. The info in those threads should help you also.

malikjob07

What are you hoping to do with what you have? Collect/refine the gold or try to resell it?
You might have most of the gold plating off but unless you can get an accurate guess as to how much gold there is, might be tough to resell...

B.S.

Actually i have a huge electronic e-waste " sim card skeleton" and i want to extract the gold from it, so i'd tried the AP solution ( hydrochloric acid + hydrogen peroxide 10 volume) and nothing was happen, then i'd used another AP solution but with high density hydrochloric acid+hydrogen peroxide 30 volume and what happen is the gold was dissolved , the question is can i use a sodium metabisulfite to precipitate the gold from the solution or not ?
- Also i 'd tried a nitric acid 40% but nothing was dissolved,as well as the aqua regia method ...nothing was happen...
Is there anyway to extract gold from this huge electronic waste ?
Please i need help and if anyone found a solution for my problem , i am ready to pay

It works better to boil the sim cards in sodium hydroxide. Most of the gold plated squares will come off of the sim cards but possibly not all of them. Be careful using the sodium hydroxide it is very dangerous when it is hot and you deffinitly need to wear eye protection. After you have run them through the sodium hydroxide and removed as many of the gold squares as possible run the ones that didn't seperate in AR, poor mans AR or HCl/Cl. Strain the plastics(wash off the plastic) and contimue to use the solution to finish processing the plated squares that separated. Heat the solution to remove excess Cl or use Sulfamic acid to remove the excess nitric (depending on which process you used). Filter your solution and then drop your first round or gold chloride with copperas. Then re-refine your gold and drop it out of solution with SMB.

Make sure you do some searches on each of these processes so you are familiar with what you are doing and what problems you can run into.

Latest posts

Back