Need Urgent Advice...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well like i said in the previous thread , i have a huge amount of sim card skeleton and i wanna recover the gold from it, so i tried many thing the aqua regia and the hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide 3 % so nothing was happen until i used a hydrogen peroxide 9 % and finally it eat all the gold but the solution was kind of green.
so my question is can i use copperas or sodium metabisulfite to precipitate the gold from the solution? :p

Yes. As long as gold is in solution. Buy or make some stannous chloride and test the solution to make sure gold is in the solution before you start or you could wind up chasing your tail.

malikjob07, I've combined your three different threads into the first one since they are all about the same material. Creating three different threads just scatters the information around and adds to the clutter on the forum. Please post any future questions about this material in this thread.

Dave

well dear friends , i still stuck in recovering gold from my waste :x ....so my last experiment was a mixture of hydrochloric acid + hydrogen peroxide 9% = dissolve all the gold ( a green clear solution ) then i add pinch of bicarbonate sodium to neutralize the acid till the boiling stop( can't get access to urea) then i used the copperas as acid and nothing goes down(Gold precipitation).
what i did wrong :| ? i am sure that my waste contain gold ( sim card skeleton) .
Please any advice...... :idea:

malikjob07 said:
well dear friends , i still stuck in recovering gold from my waste :x ....so my last experiment was a mixture of hydrochloric acid + hydrogen peroxide 9% = dissolve all the gold ( a green clear solution ) then i add pinch of bicarbonate sodium to neutralize the acid till the boiling stop( can't get access to urea) then i used the copperas as acid and nothing goes down(Gold precipitation).
what i did wrong :| ? i am sure that my waste contain gold ( sim card skeleton) .
Please any advice...... :idea:

Have you tested the solution with stannous chloride to check your gold is actually in solution and hasn't cemented back out?
Also depending on the volume of solution to the ratio of gold,if it's only got small amounts of gold in it,it may take time for precipitation to occur.
First though check your solution!

Just incase ---- How to make stannous chloride http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=22011

Also, what color was the Copperas? Green or Brown? Brown means that it has gone bad and will not work.

thank you guys for reply i really appreciate your help and concern :p ....
Actually the copperas was totally green and i started with drops then i add 10 ml for 1 L then more with little heat but nothing happened :( , and unfortunately i haven't access to stannous chloride neither for the necessary ingredient to make one.So what can you advice me guys ? :idea:

To make stannous find some tin as pure as possible and dissolve in hydrochloric leave a little tin in the solution and seal. To test take a small sample of your solution on a white plastic spoon and add a drop of your stannous and watch the reaction, report back exactly what you see happen over say 5 minutes.

You can find tin in 95/5 rolled plumbing solder or from tin fishing weights. You can also look on Lazersteves web site and he sells it. Or Fleabay.

You can also find stannous chloride crystal on FeePay. I bought a quarter pound for $9.99. Using Lou's most recent recommendation of using 1 gram of crystals, 5 ml HCl, 20 ml. of water, and a bit of tin, It will last a lifetime. I bought my tin in the form of tin fishing sinkers from Walmart. They have packages of tin split shot for $1.56 per package.

Dave

I use the stannous chloride, DI water and HCl with a few pieces of metallic tin as well. And it is long lived.

The problem with solder or split shot fishing weights is you really don't know the actual tin content (with solder you do but it's not 100%). The weight guys may call it tin because of the color and it may have a high percentage of something else in there. For me, time spent is much more costly than saving a few pennies so I go with the sure thing and buy the tin.

An example of what I am saying about color happened to me this past Christmas. I bought my wife an Italian cookie press because the aluminum one she had wasn't so good. The one I bought was listed as stainless steel. When it came it was made of aluminum! The manufacturer said the color was stainless steel, not the alloy of construction. What a difference a word makes.

I use only the 95/5 solder with HCl only. I heat the solution to get a very concentrated mix and then filter the solution. I put some extra pieces in the container that has a flip up top so air does not get into the mixture. It lasts me for months on end with no problems. And even when I mix up a new batch my old stuff is still working i just make some new every so often so I have no doubts about it.

I think the biggest problem people run into is they let air get into their containers.

6 of one half a dozen of another. There are many ways to do it.

This short video shows how to make stannous chloride using plumbers lead-free solder.

https://youtu.be/659G75Kc3F0

FrugalRefiner said:
I bought my tin in the form of tin fishing sinkers from Walmart. They have packages of tin split shot for $1.56 per package.

Dave

This is the same thing I buy to make stannous with. Geo's video is a good way to make it. Even with the fishing weights instead of solder, it has always worked for me.

OP said the skeletons came from plastics recycler,

I do not see any SIM cards just scrap plastic.

Attachments

• Sim Card 5.JPG
    Sim Card 5.JPG
    131.7 KB

Latest posts

Back