New ram IC chips processing?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see now, they weren't pointed at directly, but you know, it is expected that one does ones own research in here.

Both Kurt aka Kurtak and Patnor among others, has excellent and lengthy threads in this topic.
So search them and read, you won't be disappointed.
I really don't expect there is much missing.
I know to research my own stuff. Thanks for the new thread.

So yeah can anyone tell me point me in the right direction on how to check this sludgy material that came off the ic chips after I did my initial incineration? It's ash and crud but I saved because I felt my PMs were trapped inside. They may not be and I'm just wasting time. But I'm lost and haven't come across anything in my searches of this forum.

I was thinking about evaporation or something like that?
Use a microscope to check the ash for evidence of bond wires.

Janie

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1665867833572-1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665867833572-1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 2
Ooh. That's a good idea I'll try that! Thanks so much. But let's say for some reason I do see evidence of gold? Any idea on how I process such a sludgy mess?
I use a glass flask for gravity separation. Take a sample of your ash, add water and count to 10, pour off water slowly then check the waste for bond wires. If you see bond wires in the waste, increase the count time to 15 and repeat.
Eventually you find the right amount of time to wait, giving bond wires time to settle at the bottom of the flask prior pouring off water. Once you have it down to zero evidence of loss, repeat on the rest of your ash.

Janie

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1665869571990.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665869571990.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 0
Ooh. That's a good idea I'll try that! Thanks so much. But let's say for some reason I do see evidence of gold? Any idea on how I process such a sludgy mess?
You should pan the gold out of it... I used 3 different beaker in sequence to do it ( to be sure not loose any gold) and a empty 2 L water plastic bottle as final container of the ashes (in case you need to treat them again for any reason)

So I did some simple filtering of the sludge and never got a whiff of gold. So I'm still checking it out, but I'm feeling like this is just sludge. And that's it. I'm coming to this conclusion not because I'm not seeing any gold right away but because this rinse was from one of the first rinses so it's filled with ash and crud. I'm going to check out the rest.

Did you follow the instructions given by @Christian333? ( comment #66)
I
I use a glass flask for gravity separation. Take a sample of your ash, add water and count to 10, pour off water slowly then check the waste for bond wires. If you see bond wires in the waste, increase the count time to 15 and repeat.
Eventually you find the right amount of time to wait, giving bond wires time to settle at the bottom of the flask prior pouring off water. Once you have it down to zero evidence of loss, repeat on the rest of your ash.

Janie
Yes I did. But not quite the same. I took a small sample of it. I put it in a beaker and added water and swirled it around. I put it up to a light and looked for any kind of gold I could find. But there was none. So i wasn't sure how to follow the instructions exactly as written since I seen no bonding wires. I repeated this 4 or 5 times throughout the sludgy material in order to ensure there was nothing hiding further down in the container.

No, he didn't because only in this thread at least 4 people told him what to do.
Why would you say that? I already posted that I did that. Might not have been with the proper beakers and what not. But I indeed do what was advised of me the best way I could. Thanks for the input. But no need to be disdainful towards me. I suppose my "simple filtering" comment may have thrown you guys off. But what I meant was after looking at these samples I let the water go thru a coffee filter after swirling it in the cup looking for bone wires. So anything that I poured off went into that filter to catch just in case I missed seeing these little buggers. So I apologize for skipping the part where I was following the instructions of all four of you. But I assure you that I indeed took in all of the advice given and I applied it the best way I was capable of.

Last edited:
@Rreyes097 i apologize if my comment appears disrespectful to you but let me explain.
I read the whole thread more than twice and , as i wrote , more than one member give you all the specific information necessary to solve your specific problem including the title of other useful threads. Nevertheless your focus and comments were not on "panning the gold out of the mud" but on other , always different, things. Someone, like me, could think that you didn't read what they told you to. Now i believe your statement that you have read ALL the comments and suggested threads, you followed exactly that instructions and didn't find any gold. Well in my opinion there is no gold in that mud. For future "test" Remember the gold density

Thanks so much for your apology. I truly didn't mean to be confusing in any way. But I did go back and read all of them again and found how my lack of detailed communication was misleading and I apologize as well. I'm just so frustrated with process. I've been hesitant to perform this process and gold recovery from IC chips because of the extra hassle of incinerate and/or pyrolizing. So I just collected and collected my horde of icy chips and figured I would go with the simplest which I thought was the simplest which were these IC chips with no legs or metal to speak of. Except for the solder balls of course. I've read everything I can. And thought I had this in hand. But alas I do not and all this tedious extra steps are frustrating enough let alone drying it and doing it all over again! ( In which I do it right this time, or at least thorough!)

So now as it stands. I have my material drying and awaiting pyrolyzation. Any advice on what to do from this point on? I showed the container I plan to use for pyrolyzation. So I guess until then nothing needs to be done?

Last edited:
I

Yes I did. But not quite the same. I took a small sample of it. I put it in a beaker and added water and swirled it around. I put it up to a light and looked for any kind of gold I could find. But there was none. So i wasn't sure how to follow the instructions exactly as written since I seen no bonding wires. I repeated this 4 or 5 times throughout the sludgy material in order to ensure there was nothing hiding further down in the container.
Unless you have the bond wires extremely concentrated the swirling won't work. You need a microscope to see bond wires that may be getting washed out with your ash.

Janie

Latest posts

Back