New ram IC chips processing?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I seen a video of streetips, and he was processing his filters and he and put it on a burner and from that burner it burnt the filters without the flame if I'm correct and what I seen. Is that what I should have done? 0 so does any of the stuff I've done help at all? Or worse yet what, did I lose precious metals by doing it the wrong way? Because in the beginning I torched them. And at the end like I my previous thread said I put them in a crucible covered on the flame which is what I thought was right and now I don't know where to go from here.

So I seen a video of streetips, and he was processing his filters and he and put it on a burner and from that burner it burnt the filters without the flame if I'm correct and what I seen. Is that what I should have done? 0 so does any of the stuff I've done help at all? Or worse yet what, did I lose precious metals by doing it the wrong way? Because in the beginning I torched them. And at the end like I my previous thread said I put them in a crucible covered on the flame which is what I thought was right and now I don't know where to go from here.
He did what we call ashed the filters.
When doing ashing, it is essential to keep the temperature low to avoid losses.
So the answer is no.

Torching them as you did works, but are hard and gives off a lot of smoke and smell.
You need them to be glowing red for a long time.

The place you are at the time with your powder, you only need to incinerate them well for an hour or so.
Spread them thin and heat them to glowing and rake them for time to time, until there are no more grey or black left.

You never reported back the two things I asked from you.

Now I'm confused. I thought pyrolyzation was when it's in heat but no direct flame on it? I used a crucible with a lid. And yes it has been torched. But I didn't know at that time that I was supposed to not use flame on it? But are you saying I did it wrong? 🤦
Hello Rreyes097
I am not a refiner, and I am only new to recovery and the forum, but from what I understand, the pyrolysis process is largely an environmental concern. The epoxy/plastics the IC chips are made from contain a lot of toxic materials. These toxins will be released into the atmosphere and environment when burned. It's the black smoke with vapors and the micro-particulate matter being carried away that is the pollutant. Those fumes can be captured & destroyed through pyrolysis. If done properly, there will be no black smoke & suit released. So, yes, you are past the pyrolysis process & no, you didn't pyrolyze. You will on your next batch though, because you can go through the many threads and posts here, write down all your questions, consult these guys with you complete procedure *before you begin, then you are going to have some rewarding & encouraging results.

I am also in the process of recovering gold from IC chips right now. I started a small sized test batch, and I am eagerly reading these posts and getting ready to proceed when I am more confident. My ashes will be in an old Cool-Whip container until then. You seem to be much more motivated than I am, and I'll bet you will get your gold button or BB soon.

Best of luck!
mike

This is what I was told it was. But I guess I interpreted its meaning. I thought I pyrolyzation was burning something without direct flame, such as a can with a few holes in a pile of coals? and incineration was basically torching it. What do I have wrong?
Look the definition on Wikipedia. These things are basics. And it was discussed here myriad of times before, dozens of same questions with dozens and dozens of same answers.
Depending on what procedure you inted to use, adjust your process. But firstly, GET YOUR APPARATUS STRAIGHT and plan what you are gonna do. And you certainly want to do better than folks in central Africa, who burn car tires just to be able to sell the steel reinforcements :) altough sadly, also here where I live many people do practically the same. For sake of convenience, they are putting their health under very serious threat and slowly giving asthma and lung diseases to the children living in the neighborhood. Just a thing to consider, because we know how it is :)

If you want to process like Kurt, you does not need to incinerate firstly. If you want to direct smelt the ashes, or leach the ashes, you need to fully incinerate the material to zero leftover carbon.
Filler in IC plastic is 99% of times plain silica dust. Silica is white. So any shade of darker gray or even black does say you do not have plain silica in your ash.

Burning things need two things to burn - AIR AND TEMPERATURE. Neat, easy, nothing else. So that´s it - you need to deliver air => oxygen directly to the place where material will be burnt, and you does need to keep temperature above 500°C for burning to proceed smoothly. Otherwise it won´t happen. Period.

Burner use up the oxygen from the air to combust the fuel (MAPP, propane etc.) - so you aren´t delivering enough oxygen to the chips. If you fill them up into the graphite crucible, how the air is supposed to get to the ones on the middle and bottom ?
Use stainless steel strainer or mesh to allow oxygen to get there, do not make high layers of chips to facilitate the air directly to the place where it is needed. Costs like 2 bucks at dollar store. Just make sure it´s stainless.

And third, do not burn out the oxygen in the air in the first place - use regulated temp heatgun instead of burner. Easy, simple, cheap, straightforward. Whole setup here including cost of the heatgun (ca 35euros) cost me under 80 euros. Permanent investment, usable for many other things - furnance also for melting, heatgun for anything around the house. No excuses are legitimate here :) it can be done right.

Not an expert here but I would say: pyrolysis as to do with the decomposition of volatile substances of an object in a very low oxidant (oxygen) environment, incineration with direct combustion in oxidant environments.

Ok, Yggdrasil I thought I had answered your questions. But I guess it was not my own words so I will go thru this whole thread and reread it and give you a answer in my own words. But right now I gotta go to work! But thanks for everyone responding and I will get this figured out and get this gold if it's the last thing I do. 😁

Well I just looked up the definition of pyrolysis and incineration. The difference and the similarities. And I feel like I understand now incineration is the heating of the element with oxygen and the other is without. I'm not sure how to explain myself without just writing what I read the actual definition I mean. So with that being said how is an electric furnace with the lid on it not pyrolysis? So Yggdrasil I only have to incinerate now? But the video of streetips put his filters in to a pot that was heated at the bottom. He called incineration. But you're calling Ashing? Why is that? And what would the proper form of incineration be for me then? Because I understand the definitions now but I don't understand which falls into proper incineration or proper pyrolysis. I thought I understood when I seen Street tips do that in a pot and calling it incineration.

He did what we call ashed the filters.
When doing ashing, it is essential to keep the temperature low to avoid losses.
So the answer is no.

Torching them as you did works, but are hard and gives off a lot of smoke and smell.
You need them to be glowing red for a long time.

The place you are at the time with your powder, you only need to incinerate them well for an hour or so.
Spread them thin and heat them to glowing and rake them for time to time, until there are no more grey or black left.

You never reported back the two things I asked from you.
He called it incineration how is that different I'm getting confused again although I do understand the definitions as I replied below and to the best of my abilities.

Last edited:
The pyrolysis should be done in an "flaming environment", otherwise the escaping gases won't get burned. An electric furnace doesn't work with flames.
These gases aren't good for you and your environment. If they get burned at high temperatures, they mostly break apart into normal products like CO2.
Nevertheless you shouldn't breath in theses fumes.

AND:
If you create these gases without burning them instantly as fast as they develop, they could accumulate around your furnace and may ignite by a spark or by reaching its ignition temperature. (Bad boom!)

He called it incineration how is that different I'm getting confused again although I do understand the definitions as I replied below and to the best of my abilities.
Ashing is what is done with filters, active carbon and such.
But as per previous testing, ashing filters should be done at approximate 280 Centigrade to avoid excess loss of Gold.
Ashing Active Carbon is slightly different and more like ordinary incineration as the same tests show best result around 600 Centigrade.

This link is worth every minute:)
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...y-be-of-interest-to-members.22978/post-241077

So please inform me on exactly what I need to do to this material from this point on. Like exactly. With the tools I have on hand. Just torch it for like an hour? Or what? From this point I kinda need it spelled out for me. And so the next time I'll know what to do. Because I have lots of regular ic chips left.

So please inform me on exactly what I need to do to this material from this point on. Like exactly. With the tools I have on hand. Just torch it for like an hour? Or what? From this point I kinda need it spelled out for me. And so the next time I'll know what to do. Because I have lots of regular ic chips left.
I hope that didn't come off or out in the wrong tone. I would appreciate any help that any would take the time to give to me. Thank you and thank you for all of collectives help here. I am very chatty on here so I'm sure it gets old.

Spread it out thin on something heated to a red strong glow. Stir/rake it until no more smoke or white sparks and it should be done.
It may take some time though.

Spread it out thin on something heated to a red strong glow. Stir/rake it until no more smoke or white sparks and it should be done.
It may take some time though.
So like a frying pan on the turkey fryer to burner? Thanks for the help! Then after that I'm good to go on the acids or do I still need to push it thru the strainer again?

So like a frying pan on the turkey fryer to burner? Thanks for the help! Then after that I'm good to go on the acids or do I still need to push it thru the strainer again?
As long as you get it to a strong red glow until no smoke or sparks form when stirring it, it should be ok.
This is the batch without legs are it not?
Edit Spelling

Last edited:
This is the fluffy stuff I had set aside. Now when this went into pan to incinerate it really smoked and burned. But the main material did not smoke as much. Perhaps I incinerated it better then I previously thought when I did it last time? Think it's done?

Also, do I now rinse it until it's mostly clear of the ash? Or am I going straight to acid like with no rinses?

Attachments

• 16664002017667581353718383651940.jpg
    16664002017667581353718383651940.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back