Nickel/copper in gold?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why did it work before and not now? The extra copper might raise the melting point a bit but I would say your biggest mistake would be not running the magnetic pins separately. Most of these are made of Kovar, a 29Nickel, 17Cobalt, 54Iron alloy, whose melting point is 2640F. I would guess that the Kovar would be the last to dissolve and, therefore, there's enough Kovar in the material you tried to melt to raise the melting point beyond the capability of your setup. Also, you stopped the process too early, before all the base metals had dissolved.

futurama

Where do you live ? ("general" location) Example - I live in Central Wisconsin --- I ask because maybe there is a member that lives close to you that would be willing to come to you (if you can't afford to go to them) & buy what you have for a fair price (& not screw you because you are in a tight spot)

Example again - if you lived within an hour to an hour & a half of me I would come & buy everything you have for 50 - 70% of the listed price of the company I sell to (50% for really low grade stuff - 60% for mid grade stuff & 70% for high grade stuff) that would at least help you out AND at the same time come close (+/- a few dollars) to covering my gas & time to come get it

Or - if you were close enough & able to deliver I would buy what ever you brought to me at 70 - 80% of my buyers list price

So tell us your "general" location & "maybe" there will be somebody close that can help you out --- & if so you can then work something out as far as contact info &/or terms by way of private message &/or phone

In other words - don't post your contact info on the open forum - just give a general location & see if that leads to a deal you can work out privately

Kurt

futurama140 said:
i'm in northeastern colorado

If Kurt was closer than he is to you I would not post this information I am fixing to post since he made the first offer on your material.

Now that being said you have possibly already received PM's making offers for your material. now weigh that against this information.

check with Boardsort.com and http://www.cashforcomputerscrap.com/ for prices on your boards to generate some quick cash ( quick as within 10-14 working day ) timeframe. I offer more for CPU's that than either of these buyers but have not been persuing this because of certain factors that are currently changing and have not updated my price list in a while https://goldchipbuyer.wordpress.com/

This gives you alternatives to trusted sites and buyers and takes care of you immediate needs for cash.

You currently have a lot of reading and investigating to do on the route you want to take and what you need to currently accomplish for your need of funds.

You should feel fortunate in the amount of information given to you over the last day or so. Not many new members are shown this patience you have been offered.

Best of luck in either route you take.

futurama140 said:
i'm in northeastern colorado

I know we have some members in Colorado but don't know if any of them actually buy boards (a lot of our members only take what they can get for free) so hope someone is able to help you out

Have you checked with your local scrap yards - around here some scrap yards take boards & some don't - the problem (at least around here) is that most the scrap yards don't pay much though there is one that pays more then the rest

Hope you are able to work something out

Kurt

anachronism said:
Well I was so flustered by that contraption that I went out grabbed a few items (from scratch) and built something. Done in the time between these posts too. If you want confirmation then feel free to ask Patnor as I was on the phone with him at the time.

Ten standard bricks.
1 small piece of plasterboard - you call it gyproc or something similar in the US?
1 Stanley knife

You can use the fireproof board if you like as it last longer but the insulation from the plasterboard even after the card burns off is great. You're melting outside too so fumes are not a factor.

Total cost- around $6, time 10 minutes. It's real backyard stuff but it does the job and I hope it helps.
All you need A is some of my thermal mat to line that bad boy with and you be good to go yo :wink:

Latest posts

Back