palladium reduction

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Hoke, page 55:
(5) EVAPORATING OFF THE EXCESS NITRIC ACID
Here again the steam bath is advised, especially for large quan-
tities of material. Sometimes this evaporation may go too far, and
brown metallic gold will bake out onto the dish. You can easily
dissolve this baked out gold (without adding any nitric acid) in
this way: cover it with a few drops of full-strength hydrochloric
acid, then slowly add a few drops—not more—of a solution of
sodium chlorate in warm water. A very small amount of this so-
dium chlorate solution will do the work; add it a drop at a time,
tilting the dish to wash the dissolved gold into the syrup. Stir
well, as this mixture of chlorate and hydrochloric acid can form an
explosive gas, especially when cold, but if your dish is warm, and
your chlorate solution is warm, and if you work slowly, little if any
of the explosive gas will collect.
While this process was for putting gold back into solution if you evaporate too far, the underlined portion may be the key.

Interesting that I just read in a different thread that a member felt Hoke was antiquated.

Dave

And from page 108 where she describes dropping the palladium:
Warm the mixture gently, and add a single crystal of sodium
chlorate. Or, dissolve a pennyweight of chlorate in a little warm
water
, and add a drop at a time. There will be considerable fizzing,
and as it subsides, add another small crystal or another drop. The
solution should be just short of boiling
. After the addition of a little
more of the chlorate, a change in color will be noted. Stir the
mixture with a glass stirring rod; soon a dark red precipitate will be
seen, floating on the surface and then sinking. Continue to add
chlorate, a little at a time until the liquid is almost colorless, and
then let cool. This red powder is palladium ammonium chloride—
chemically much like the orange powder above.
I believe you said the solution was cool. I suspect that was the problem.

Dave

I was just coming in to post that I figured out what happened. I'm glad that Dave posted before I did. I was finding small pieces of white glass. At first I was puzzled thinking it was a white crystal from the reaction. The pieces was very small to slivers a quarter of an inch long. I about fell over when I realized that I had set one of my small china saucer plate on top of the beaker when I went inside. I had forgotten that I had set it up there. It is habit to cover beakers with solution in them. I noticed that the explosion seemed to be in one direction with a spread of about 45° from the beaker towards the back of the fume hood. I'm assuming that is where the pour spout was pointed. When the fuel/air mixture reached a certain point, it detonated in the space between the solution and the plate. The plate disintegrated and the beaker came apart leaving the bottom intact. There was no glass outside the fume hood.

I just looked through some more of Hoke's references to chlorate, and she always mentioned working with hot to near boiling solutions.

Glad I was able to help sort it out, and very glad you weren't hurt. As we often say, and you well know, no amount of precious metals is worth your health.

Dave

ionized metals can be very reactive

I'm really not sure where you got this statement from, because it really depends. When working with relatively clean solutions, as you were because they were dissolved from cemented values, the target metals are there just waiting for the right reaction. When you introduce a lot of extra metals and chemicals in solution it gets complicated. But just like in life, you can have too much of a good thing and screw things up.

The Platinum and Palladium that have dissolved in acid have already reacted and are now dissolved in solution as ions. The reactivity came when the acids dissolved the metals and once in solution they're relatively happy. As long as the new chemistry you are introducing isn't going to cause them to displace the ion they are currently in a dance with for the new ion, they will remain content.

So the sulfamic you add will prefer to react with any free nitric in solution and not be causing any problems with any of the other ion pairs as long as you don't add too much and upset the equilibrium.

The ammonium chloride will upset the platinum in solutions equilibrium and cause the platinic acid to drop out as a salt which is ammonium chloroplatinate. But it is not a violent reaction. The ammonium ion wants to grab on to that sexy looking hexachloroplatinate so it just bounces a relatively easy to replace hydrogen out and jumps in there.

The Palladium is in solution from an aqua regia dissolve as a hydrated chloride and the sodium chlorate wants that chlorine bad so it grabs it and poor Miss Palladium is quickly (sometimes not so quickly if it's dilute) available for some of that excess ammonium chloride in solution to form Palladium Ammonium Chloride which is not soluble and drops out. Also a simple displacement reaction.

What I think happened is the free nitric got into a spat with the ammonium ion and formed some ammonium nitrate. That is what caused the excitement. It is hard to say if this would have happened if the solutions were not as concentrated as they were but the combination of the ammonium and free nitric did you in and the strong oxidizer provided by sodium chlorate put it over the top. (literally)

Ammen also speaks about dropping the Palladium from hot solutions. But he also likes to drop the Platinum from warmed solutions as well. I have always had success with cold acids. Geo also had results from the room temperature reaction. I think the heat around sodium chlorate is more of a hazard than a benefit.

Geo said:
Okay, back to the business at hand. Toxic cleanup. Face shield, apron, rubber gloves (elbow length). I will use paper towels to wipe as much of the red salt from the inside of the fume hood. Gather all the items in the hood and wipe them down. These towels will be collected in a bag for incineration.
I'm not so sure incineration is in your best interest. When PGM salts are calcined, the heating needs to be carefully controlled, otherwise some of your palladium could be volatilized and go up in smoke. If it were mine, I would probably try putting the paper towels in a beaker and using several changes of solution (water, HCl?) to rinse out as much as possible. When you feel you've rinsed them as well as possible, you could incinerate to try to capture anything that stubbornly clings to the towels. This is all a guess on my part, so I hope someone with more experience will address this part of the recovery.

Dave

Or you could pyrolyze it under 700 degrees. I think you are right about all of the Pd being out of solution when it popped but even the salt needs to be calcined to prevent losses.

My electric burner is a little over 500°F. I can use an iron pot with a lid or a pyroceram casserole with a lid.

If you get one of these;

http://www.agrisupply.com/carolina-cooker-9-qt-preseasoned-dutch-oven/p/90677/

and drill a hole in the center you can tap, screw in a piece of 1/2" threaded black iron pipe sticking into the pot but short enough that you can put the lid on and it will still fit tight. This will cause the gasses to pass out the bottom where they will be burned because you are heating on one of these;

http://www.agrisupply.com/carolina-cooker-stand-and-burner/p/49469/

You have to monitor the temperature with one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-69465.html

it measures up to 950 F so it will work.

Think of all the stuff you can pyrolyze now!!!!!!!

Please no weighing of dried platinum salts if at all humanly possible to avoid it.

Also, please keep in mind the dangers of NCl3 formation (more so than even ClO2 formation in a closed space)--both explode spontaneously. Chilled solutions mitigate NCl3 formation.

Geo had very little Pd in solution relative to Pt. He did not affect a more complete precipitation because his Pt was not all Pt(IV) but some was Pt(II) from the gold reduction process.

Also, such quantities of ammonium chloride are completely unnecessary.

In the future, use potassium chloride for a safer experience if you see it necessary to risk contaminating your work space over maybe 5 g of platinum and a gram or less of palladium.

This is an good informative thread so I wanted to explain some of what I said and what Lou added in a little more detail so there is no confusion. And, as always, discussion is good.

Years ago, like 30, I had an excellent relationship with a gentleman who was the head chemist for a major dental alloy refiner. He told me that since most refiners were a bit under equipped on the analytical end, he had to come up with a methodology that would work with dilute as well as concentrated solutions. Ironically small refiners have the same issues today and this would apply to our members as well. He called his method bulletproof because it would yield the highest yields regardless of concentrations in solution.

Some of his methods are because of what Lou mentioned in his post above.

He did not affect a more complete precipitation because his Pt was not all Pt(IV) but some was Pt(II) from the gold reduction process.

First and foremost this method recommends dropping the gold from the aqua regia dissolve first, and any reducing agent the refiner was familiar with could be used, because all they were dropping from this acid was gold.

Once the gold was dropped, the solution was cemented on slabs of copper. This was done for a few reasons, one was to allow the refiner to work with a smaller quantity of acid, and the second was to drop any remaining traces of gold with ferrous sulfate.

Back when I was told this method, the nitric was removed by the classic 3 times evaporation procedure. Urea was never used because platinum and palladium have a definite ability to form nitrogen compounds; which will affect recovery. Since then, the use of sulfamic acid for de noxing solutions has replaced the need for the lengthy classic evaporation method.

Another benefit of cementing the values allowed the small refiner to get some idea as to how much metal they were looking at. The cemented values were roasted (which also serves to eliminate any PdO which is insoluble in aqua regia) and weighed.

As Lou said, the quantity of Ammonium chloride Geo added is un-necessary but in the bullet proof recipe that is what is called for. If a refiner is more analytical (my kind of refinery) the ammonium chloride (or potassium chloride) can be added at the rate of 0.6 grams per gram of expected platinum. However, an excess doesn’t hurt.

The roasted powders are digested in aqua regia taking care to use as little nitric acid as possible. The acid is filtered and de noxed, and the volume of the solution is noted. Next the gold is dropped with ferrous sulfate. Since this powder should have very little gold, it is dropped from the solution while it is as concentrated as possible.

Now the gold is filtered out and the solution is diluted with 3 times the original volume of water. To this solution, a volume of saturated ammonium chloride (or potassium) is added equal to the starting volume before dilution. Now the platinum drop will be more complete. This was never done hot or even warm for that matter but heat shouldn’t hurt and may speed things up.

The platinum salts are filtered out of the solution and the remaining solution is treated with powdered sodium chlorate by slowly sprinkling it over the surface. The red palladium salt will drop.

I have always done this at ambient room temperature, as heat was not suggested in the instructions I received. In light of what Lou said about trichloroamine formation, I would say heat would benefit by allowing the gasses to escape the surface of the reaction much easier.

The above method has proven to be effective for refiners without the ability to perform assays before processing so they could add closer to the stoichiometric quantities needed in these reactions. And while I have never experienced what Geo did, I would add some heat to the drops. It can’t hurt and especially for some refiner in an unheated barn up north it is better to be safe.

Finally, Lou said;
Please no weighing of dried platinum salts if at all humanly possible to avoid it

I can understand this and completely agree that handling platinum group metal salts can have terrible consequences and exposure of exposed skin or inhalation of the dust can result in Platinosis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinosis

But small refiners often pay on PGM's by out-turn, meaning they have to collect the salts and weigh them to quantify the yield for settlement purposes. For most small jobs, from jewelry lots or sweeps, or small dental lots, this is rarely in excess of a few ounces.

I do prefer to weigh the dried salts on tared filters and collect them until there is sufficient quantity to reduce the salts to metal. I do this in a good hood (with good air flow in excess of 100 CFM/sq ft of hood opening) and I wear gloves, long rubber sleeves, an apron, and a respirator. I encourage those who do this to keep dedicated protective equipment for this work and wash it down after each use.

Fortunately, most of our members are not needing to pay a customer for the PGM's as they are recovering stock pot values. These values can be reduced to metal by whatever method you choose without having to dry them out and can even be stored damp to accumulate until you have enough to process further.

Latest posts

Back