question about cpu capacitors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
patnor1011 said:
It is quite long. I got mine in 11 days but I am in EU. Maybe that volcano did cause some delays but better try to contact him.

or it could be the white powder scenario looks very suspicious to a customs officer ?
did you ever process any of those flakes or try testing them ?

no. i simply did not have time. but wifey is going for holiday with kids for month so i will have plenty of time to do that. i have about kilo of this monolithics saved for experimenting so hope that i will start some day next week.

lazersteve said:
The lime green color is probably from Nickel.

1. Confirm nickel in solution by adding ammonium hydroxide to sample until basic.
2. Add a drop of DMG test solution.
3. Pink color indicates nickel.

Gold flakes likely from small bits of solder pads that were pulled from the boards when the capacitors were removed. Although some capacitors are known to have gold plates ('foils') in them.

Steve
O.K. I finally did test with DMG all 4 tested showed pink indicator for nickel .
it was getting dark out so I will take a picture of the spot plate, and I will test for palladium tomorrow .
Q: do the solutions need to be heated for the palladium test ?

I realized that I will have to dry the foils so that they can be weighed so we can have some idea of % palladium to nickel and other metals (this before i process the rest of the foils)

I must say things do look bleak for Pd quantity out of this volume .
I say this because I cemented out the nitric test to get some Idea of quantity( sorry OZ I could not wait )

I'm confused now, are you testing for Pd or Ni?

Nickel test is done in with ammonia and DMG.

Palladium test is done with any acid and DMG.

What is the photo of?

Steve

the tests where done last night using ammonia + DMG but the picture was only taken today.
first I added 2 drops from each test tube.
then I added the ammonia and the green changed to blue then added the DMG and it produced the pink that indicates nickel
now i want to test for Pd will I see the yellow through the green
the other question is that these test tubes have been siting there for more than 6 weeks is there any danger

Im afraid there is no yellow precipitate in the first test tube after i added the DMG this test tube was HCl + clorox + H2O2 to dissolve the foils so no Pd
I will test the AR test tube tomorrow :cry:

Latest posts

Back