Quick Question On Finger Removal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
starzfan0211 said:
what is the easiest way to cut the fingers from cards and memory sticks?

I have found that using a small, cheap wet tile saw is the easy way. The water eliminates the dust, and the clean cuts do not snag your gold foils when you process them. You can also set up the rip fence and really go to town on memory sticks! Just stack them up 4 or 5 and you can trim a stack in 1 pass. I just "free hand" all of the other stuff.

I always wear a pair of disposable rubber gloves when trimming fingers.

I found my saw at the pawn shop for $15.00...you can get them on feebay for just about the same price.
Look for one in the pawn shop that has a decent blade, as that is the expensive part.

Scott

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8360

Aggitation in very important when dealing with AP. I've learned that this hobby is about patience. Kinda like "a watch pot never boils." I would set a timer while I worked on pins to aggitate my batch.

In Steve's video, he shows you the importance of a spray bottle. You can knock off quite a few foils off with a blast of water. I would pull out the stubborn ones during filtering and use my weapon brush (two headed green plastic toothbrush) and the foils would come off easily with it. The brush is plastic brushes but is rigorous. Once I got what I wanted off, I will use the spray bottle to push the foils into a filter for collection.

If you miss a couple of fingers, it's no big deal. You can always throw them in a new batch. :D

joem said:
Hi steve
I don't remember which thread you had posted your harvesting video but I did watch it. My question is: In the video you said after chipping off the pins and plastic you would just throw them in your AP to dissolve, but later date in this forum you said the sulpheric acid cell is what you would use. Which is your choice? I tried the pins in AP ( usual recipe) and they have been in there for 3 weeks with only 1/2 the foils that came off. Does it take this long to get floating foils?

Well I cleaned up my garage and opened the lid on this bucket to still find the pins still sitting pretty, threw some peroxide in it and 3 days later most of the pins dissolved. Washed the foils and dissolved in mauriatic+bleach (I only used 1/2 a tablespoon of bleach and 1/2 a cup of mauriatic) and made a nice deep yellow/orange AUCl. I will add this to my aucl batches being processed later.

Attachments

• SAM_0650.JPG
    SAM_0650.JPG
    66.8 KB

Latest posts

Back