Ram fingers help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solarnevo1

Hi everyone. Simple question. How much gold is in 2,5 kg of Ram sticks? I will cut fingers only. The rest I won't process! How much gold will be in fingers only?

I agree with silversaddle. Also, there is tin plate which would only leave the gold bearing chips with mono's/and or resistors. But different fingers only yield can vary upon width and plate thickness.

resabed01 said:
acpeacemaker said:
But different fingers only yield can vary upon width and plate thickness.

And skill of the person doing the recovery.

Aye but its hard to get fingers wrong wouldn't you agree? It really is the starting point on e waste recovery.

spaceships said:
resabed01 said:
acpeacemaker said:
Aye but its hard to get fingers wrong wouldn't you agree? It really is the starting point on e waste recovery.
It's easy to get fingers wrong. Add a little too much peroxide and you dissolve some gold. A beginner who gets foils might not realize that, and his yields might be lower because he still has gold dissolved in his AP. I agree it's the best starting point for e waste, but one can still make mistakes.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
spaceships said:
resabed01 said:
acpeacemaker said:
It's easy to get fingers wrong. Add a little too much peroxide and you dissolve some gold. A beginner who gets foils might not realize that, and his yields might be lower because he still has gold dissolved in his AP. I agree it's the best starting point for e waste, but one can still make mistakes.

Dave

I'm pretty sure the way I worded that it came off wrong. I was meaning if doing a fingers only yield. It could vary with width and plating thickness. Absolutely I agree it also depends on the person recovering and refining the values.

Thanks for reply. I processed these ones with used AP. Then AR and drop with FeSO4. Today I will clean powder to see how much gold there is. AP was very dark so it didn't attack gold. Nice flakes came off.

malikjob07 said:
i will say 100 memory chip give you between 0.9 to 1.3 g of pure gold........

That is not correct statement,
1 IC chip in memory stick - average weight is 1 gram or less.
Perhaps you meant whole memory stick. 100 of them can have 16 IC chips if populated on both sides with 8 IC chips on each side.

If you don't believe me watch this two video...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXd85YfcvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c9Z5UYsUV4

I only watch his videos to laugh at all the mistakes he makes. Please that's just not the right stuff to quote as a point of reference on here unless its a reference as to "how many mistakes can you spot in each video."

regardless to his mistakes , and your silly laugh , the guy made a success and he answer the question how many gold do 100 memory chip have ? as our friend " solarnevo1 " asked....

No actually he didn't. He has shown an amount of gold he claimed to get- and it's either this one or another video where the gold he shows couldn't have come from the amount of product he used.

Hey if you want to take the word of a guy who refines next to the paintwork on his car, and uses 50/50 AR as gospel then be my guest.

That hurts so bad to watch those two video's. Just another person that got a lot of hit's on his video through youtube and wanted to make money off of it. I wonder how many out of the million views he has had on those videos have come here and asked questions. A few years ago I would have followed him blindly into the dark abyss but alass no more. I guess you don't know if you don't know. Another Darth Vader imitator. (yea my wife tells me my spelling sucks)

He did get results, and to some that is all that matters. The AP stripped off all of the gold from the fingers, the overly strong aqua regia dissolves all of the gold, the urea killed off the excess nitric (actually great excess!) and it did drop with the metabisulfite.

But, he used way too much chemistry and way too little precaution in dealing with chemicals and their fumes.

But to the uninformed, he got results, and to some that is all that matters.

Wonder if he read Hoke?

4metals said:
This is where he tests the purity of his gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkmhEGBjyMs

I was so depressed after realizing how much money I've wasted in my lifetime on analytical chemistry. This guy is a salesman! Beware, he probably has a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you!

That is the other video I was looking for.

He states that he has a 2g button. Now we should know that he did not get 2g from that SMALL pile of gold flakes from the fingers from the RAM.

I mean you know you got to kind of commend the guy for sticking his butt out there to be bitten off by people that do this more then he has done it. I will commend him for that. He dresses up like Darth Vader with the goggles and the respirator, he is following the procedures that we preach. Heck I don't even do that and I will come out and say it out in the open. But I have worked with these chemicals we use for 30+ years. Now that is no excuse for not following the safety measures we preach about using. And I am not saying I am correct in doing that. But at least I will come out in the openly and admit it. 8)

I love your comment on the money you have wasted and the guy being a salesman though. :p

And you are correct he did get results even though they were probably not reflecting the actual recovery he got from the fingers, but that is something that he has to back up.

I have never processed e-waste on the small scale that most of our members here do so I will have to defer to your wisdom and first hand experience when it comes to yields. But I will say that the flakes do serve as eye candy for the naievé. The truth comes when the gold is melted down and weighed.

The guy did so many things which are ill advised and did no testing to assure he recovered all of the gold. Bad examples for You Tube learners. Then they come here and we have to deal with their attitude. It only proves that a little knowledge is dangerous.

Latest posts

Back