Ram fingers help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
malikjob07 said:
If you don't believe me watch this two video...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXd85YfcvY <---- This one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c9Z5UYsUV4
Apart from the myriad of other mistakes, have a look from about 6:10. If there is any splash from pouring, in which direction do you think the droplets will go?
:shock:
Just wow!

Without having looked at the video again (once was enough) let me guess. The only thing he had with him constantly was coffee.

This guy is a disaster waiting to happen. Yet he sees himself as an educator!

guys guys....i am not talking about the video and the mistakes , we're trying to answer the first question in this thread which is how much gold is in 2,5 kg of Ram sticks? regardless what the guy did wrong in his video.....

He's actually asking a slightly different question. He's asking how much gold would be on the fingers from 2.5KG of RAM sticks.

The answer to that question is based on the weight of close cut fingers that he would get from the RAM sticks. If he could cut them close then he would need to take the weight of the close cut fingers and and apply approximately 4.5g per Kg of the close cut finger weight.

i.e. 150g of fingers would yield somewhere in the region of 0.675g before processing losses. The smaller the quantity of product refined the higher the losses as a percentage of the yield. Yes this can be mitigated by never throwing away solutions and filters but remember these losses would be the same for processing 100g of gold, and therefore the impact on a small amount as mentioned above would appear enormous.

I don't process anything below a certain level of prospective overall yield for this exact reason.

That is simple math with many variables and possible results. Ram stick in mixed lots (old and new) average weight is about 20-25g but I tend to lean to higher number due to old ram and IC chips on them and that save me grief, it is much better expect smaller result than overestimate and then overpay for material. 2.5kg of ram will have approximately 100-125 ram sticks.* 1 close cut ram finger weight about 1 gram.
Yield from close cut fingers was reporetd here in many threads and vary a lot. It all goes down to type, wear and tear of your ram stick and what do you perceive as "close cut".

* here it gets really complicated. There is no formula saying how many ram sticks get to one kilogram. There are way too many of different types out there. Even average numbers are not fool proof. If you do have lot of these http://goo.gl/uwTI78 you do have more than 100 sticks in your 2.5 kg lot. If there is most of them with BGA chips and newer ram again the same, but if you do have old ram populated with big fat IC on both sides you may struggle to get 100 pieces in 2.5 kg lot.

For a start here are the numbers:
Started with 2,45 kg RAM sticks. Mostly 128Mb to 512Mb. There was 160 pieces in 2,45 kg. From this 160 pieces there was 172 gr of fingers. Cuted very close! Around 7% of overal weight of sticks.

solarnevo1 said:
For a start here are the numbers:
Started with 2,45 kg RAM sticks. Mostly 128Mb to 512Mb. There was 160 pieces in 2,45 kg. From this 160 pieces there was 172 gr of fingers. Cuted very close! Around 7% of overal weight of sticks.

I can't say what the yield is on RAM fingers "only" is because when I run fingers I run them mixed meaning I run fingers from cards, slot processors, RAM, etc. all in the same batch at the same time

I recently ran two batches of fingers & on the first batch I recovered 2 grams per lb - on the second batch I recovered 1.5 grams per lb --- 1.5 to 2 grams per pound is consistent with the "many" batches of "mixed" fingers I have run & I consider 5 lbs of finger to be a small batch

lets assume RAM only fingers will run on the high 2 grams/lb end of recovery

there is 454 grams in a pound - you have 172 grams of fingers --- 172/454 (172 divided by 454) = .378 lb X 2g per lb = .75 grams

so .75 grams --- "assuming" you get 2g per lb recovery & you then actually recover 100% --- getting 100% recovery on such a small batch is not very likely

Kurt

AndyWilliams said:
Lol, you guys made my day better! I had totally forgotten about that idiot. Went ahead and watched some of his videos again!

I guess taking the time to watch this guys videos is about the same as watching a good TV comedy show (good for a laugh) :twisted:

Personally as soon as I saw who the video was done by I hit the back button (shut it down) & moved on to better use of my time :mrgreen:

Kurt

Hi guys,

For those who are newbies for recovery as I am, before asking yields and other useful stuff, please first download Hoke's book from this forum, you'll get a ton of answers to the ton of your questions. I know i did.

Now that being said, please take a newbies advice when you talk on this forum. These guys do recovery for literally decades, if they say you have done something wrong, you probably did...they are here to help you.

Don't fall for youtube videos, it seems easy when you see it but its really hard when you do it the first time...safety, safety and safety first....

Invest in your gear, and safety....and belive me reading this forum helped me avoid many dangerous situations, i have developed my own technology to avoid working with chemicals or creating unnecessary waste...

I recycle the material from the pcb, i recycle literally everything from processing whole pcb's.

Asking yields without providing precise data is like praying in church...it doesnt get you anywhere.

Note down all the steps in the procedures you are doing, measure out every drop of chemical that you use, concentrations, dillution and so on, so you can recheck if something goes wrong and you seek guidance.

And...Hoke's book...its a must read book...

Sorry for the long post, but I was just like that in the beginning of my e-waste recovery journey.

Patience and science will get you results.

Stay safe.

GoIdman said:
Asking yields without providing precise data is like praying in church...it doesnt get you anywhere.

GoIdman, please review the forum rules at Board Policy-------This should be read by everyone. We do not allow discussions of religion on this forum as it tends to divide our members.

What may seem an innocent or humorous comment to one member may be offensive to another.

Do not do it again.

Dave

Latest posts

Back