Refining with Hot Plates

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I narrowed my first purchases down to the two cheapest I could find at Walmart. From there I bought the one that looked the sturdiest. If it is to shaky you run a serious risk of spills or turning it over. Depending on how much material you have, don't overlook the griddles, they are pretty handy but harder to heat larger beakers.

I don’t recommend the garage outside would be better the hot plates end up failing , I have had double and single hot plates . I prefer the singles , currently one of the burners one the double isn’t working and its a waste of space .
The smooth face burner over coil type edited

Last edited:
I narrowed my first purchases down to the two cheapest I could find at Walmart. From there I bought the one that looked the sturdiest. If it is to shaky you run a serious risk of spills or turning it over. Depending on how much material you have, don't overlook the griddles, they are pretty handy but harder to heat larger beakers.
I got mine from Amazon, it gets very hot but doesn’t boil. Which one did you buy from Walmart?

I have a casserole dish that I put water in then place the beaker in the water that’s how I boil

With a proper fume hood and scrubber, you could do it in your kitchen. Mind you, it still needs to be ducted to the outside. The problems with doing it in a garage, or your kitchen, is outside interference from the unknowing, such as pets, children, etc..This is why a dedicated lockable lab is the preferred choice. Minimize the hazards.

Does anyone refine in a garage

NOT a good idea !!!!
I thought I could do it in a garage with a filtration setup

If you are talking about a garage that is attached to your house with a heating & air (cooling) system that heats/cools both the house & garage the 'filtration" in that system is of NO value to filtering out the fumes created in the refining process

IN FACT the fumes from refining will completely DESTROY not only the heating & cooling system but also destroy anything & everything made of metal in both the garage & house

You however can set up a "lab" in a garage BUT it NEEDS to have its very own ventilation system that is completely isolated from the house & dedicated to refining

Kurt

half of an electric grill...

the base is the remains of a TV frame, which is already about 70 years old..

Attachments

• IMG_20241008_160724194_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241008_160724194_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB
There is no reason to get a reaction hot enough to boil. I have had excellent luck using double pancake griddles. View attachment 65220
I also have this exact griddle. It just so happens that the whole thing will sit on top of a kitty litter pan, held up by the handles/edges at either end. I'll then sometimes have up to four 2L beakers going at once. You can fit more vessels when each one does not have a secondary container, the kitty litter pan being the one overall failsafe. Of course, this depends on what you're doing, and whether or not you need to be sure to keep separate batches separate, even in a worst case scenario.

You definitely do not want to do any refining inside an attached garage or detached either. I use an Ika stirrer/hot plate that I picked out of the trash before I ever thought about refining. I fount that it just needed a part that was available from Ika. I found the balance in the same trash later on.. There are more affordable units available. I like that the temperature is more accurate than a burner.

Attachments

• IMG_1125.jpeg
    IMG_1125.jpeg
    1.1 MB
  • IMG_1200.jpeg
    IMG_1200.jpeg
    1.1 MB
  • IMG_4291.jpeg
    IMG_4291.jpeg
    2.1 MB
Last edited:

Latest posts