Silver from Litho film fix

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldsilverpro said:
joem said:
thanks precious
does he have a web site?

edit: Is zinc powder the same as zinc oxide powder used for "baby Powders"

NO!

Alright then. All caps and an exclamation mark. You can't argue with that.
So what is the official name for (I assuming pure zinc) zinc powder so I can test it?

using Naoh I dropped 17 grams of grey powder from 10 liters of litho fix, I just have to melt it to see what happens

So now I have two metafix silver recovery units. One double unit, which in not working so I will use it for spare parts, and a single working unit. I will run our fix through the system to recover electroplated silver. I'll post pics later.

HI Joem
Any pictures yet? I am very interested in results good or bad.
And or what in fact is the best recovery method to use, that you have tried with litho fix.

Not yet I'm still sorting out my boards, clipping fingers, scrapping metals, and gathering people and companies to buy things from. Once my garage is cleared I'll set up the unit with a small pump to circulate the fix through the unit.

I have studied this thread but when researching about AgCl and SIlvernitrat I got confused:

1.)
AgCl quickly darkens on exposure to light by disintegrating into elemental chlorine and metallic silver. This reaction is used in photography and film.
source wikipedia on AgCl http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_chloride
That would mean, there is nothing but light, that is needed to turn AgCl into elementary Ag!
Adding a chloride "killer" such as Chlorex would help speed up reaction (hopefully not getting to dangerous/explosive!)

2.) The NaOH3 (lye) + corn sirup method to precipitate Ag from AgCl:
This method is described for Silvernitrat (AgNO3), but not for AgCl.
wikipedia on silvernitrat:
Treatment of silver nitrate with base gives dark grey silver oxide:[5]

2 AgNO3 + 2 NaOH → Ag2O + 2 NaNO3 + H2O
(..)
A typical reaction with silver nitrate is to suspend a rod of copper in a solution of silver nitrate and leave it for a few hours. The silver nitrate reacts with copper to form hairlike crystals of silver metal and a blue solution of copper nitrate:

2 AgNO3 + Cu → Cu(NO3)2 + 2 Ag

Silver nitrate also decomposes when heated:

2 AgNO3 → 2 Ag + O2 + 2 NO2

Most metal nitrates thermally decompose to the respective oxides, but silver oxide decomposes at a lower temperature than silver nitrate, so the decomposition of silver nitrate yields elemental silver instead.

Easy destinction - what do I have?
AgNO3 (silvernitrat) is water soluable whereby AgCl(silverchlorid) is mostly not.

Can someone confirm/correct the confusing statements?

Precipation of AgCl vs AGNO3. From my understaning, what is confusing in this thread (also because it remains unclear what material the OP starts with)
- AgCl is not beeing treated with the NaHO3 + corn syrup method to precipitate elemetary silver or silver oxidides.
- Precipitating Ag from AgCl can be enforced by adding temperature and a bleacher, such as Chlorex that is able to remove the chlorides.
- AgNO3 (silvernitrat) can be transformed to Ag by heating and adding copper.

Marcel said:
Can someone confirm/correct the confusing statements?

Precipation of AgCl vs AGNO3. From my understaning, what is confusing in this thread (also because it remains unclear what material the OP starts with)
- AgCl is not beeing treated with the NaHO3 + corn syrup method to precipitate elemetary silver or silver oxides.
The reaction of silver chloride with lye and corn syrup is not a precipitation reaction, it is a conversion of the silver chloride to silver oxide then a reduction of the silver oxide to silver metal.
Marcel said:
- Precipitating Ag from AgCl can be enforced by adding temperature and a bleacher, such as Chlorex that is able to remove the chlorides.
Again not precipitation, but conversion takes place via displacement of the silver from the silver chloride. Typically the silver chloride is covered with a dilute (5-10%) solution of muriatic or sulfuric acid and a base metal higher than copper in the activity series chart is added to the beaker. The base metal dissolves into solution displacing the silver from the silver chloride leaving silver metal and a base metal salt in solution. More reactive base metals (zinc and aluminum) work faster than less reactive base metals (iron).

I have never heard of using bleach in this reaction.

Silver chloride can be thermally converted to silver metal in the a two step process (1. silver oxide, 2. silver metal) in the presence of and oxygen soruce in the melt. Both steps occur in the same thermal reaction. It's not uncommon for this reaction to produce toxic silver chloride fumes if careful temperature control is not maintained.
Marcel said:
- AgNO3 (silvernitrat) can be transformed to Ag by heating and adding copper.
The first reaction is simple decomposition with heat (silver nitrate starts decomposing at 444C according to wiki). The second one is a simple displacement reaction based upon the solubility of silver nitrate and copper nitrates solubility. A little free nitric is required to get the reaction started. The metallic copper dissolves in the solution to copper nitrate and the silver is displaced as a fine gray powder.

Steve

Hi all,
i want to start silver extraction from Litho films but i don't have much idea about how to do so, what equipment i need etc.
I currently have small amount (in KG's) at my disposal hence want to know a cost effective and basic method for extraction.

I am from India and there are no people to get help from as its a topic lesser known here.

Kindly help me in this.

Thanks & Regards
Shobhit
[email protected]
+91 9953986247

Shobhit:

INDEED!!!!!!!!!...you have come to the right place.

This topic has been discussed many times.I suggest you to write "Litho films" in the search box and you will have many information about NaOH,ferric chloride,oxalic acid and sodium hypochlorite processes.

Come on,Shobhit,do your homework.We are here to help you.

Kindest regards.

Manuel

shobhit said:
Hi all,
i want to start silver extraction from Litho films but i don't have much idea about how to do so, what equipment i need etc.
I currently have small amount (in KG's) at my disposal hence want to know a cost effective and basic method for extraction.

I am from India and there are no people to get help from as its a topic lesser known here.

Kindly help me in this.

Thanks & Regards
Shobhit
[email protected]
+91 9953986247

See the response to your other post in the other section.

PS. posting the same question in different places is bad form.

The other posting has been deleted. Please don't double post.

Latest posts

Back