Smelting in India

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here they did it for me. It still not reach to me from smelting shop. They did a strange thing that they not pour it and they ask me to break the crucible!!!!! It was not so expensive but its just belreaking crucible is not a good idea. They use lpg gas with blower and they told me that it took 3 hours to smelt. image.jpg
image.jpg
They did another strange thing that they fill the crucible with mix ashes with flux. As it melted they add more , and they did it until all mix ashes gone melted !!!

Is here anybody from pakistan that can tell me the local names of coke coal ?

And how if i use both a wood coal and lpg burner with blower combine on furnance? Any problems that i can face or any benifits? But i wish i could find gaurave's mentioned coak net coal!!! It complete smelting in 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The picture of the stone coke you posted is the coke that you need.

met coke. pet coke, coal coke is what you are after.

Are you close by to any places that produce steel? If so they will be using the Coke you want to use.
If you can get regular coal you can make your own coke. Do a search for making coal coke. You can also search for making charcoal and the same practice can be used to make coal coke.

ashir said:

And how if i use both a wood coal and lpg burner with blower combine on furnance? Any problems that i can face or any benifits? But i wish i could find gaurave's mentioned coak net coal!!! It complete smelting in 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why not just use LPG with a blower?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

eastky2 said:

Are you close by to any places that produce steel? If so they will be using the Coke you want to use.
If you can get regular coal you can make your own coke. Do a search for making coal coke. You can also search for making charcoal and the same practice can be used to make coal coke.

That stone coke was not work for me , it was just red as a metal but not produce such heat that can do smelting. May be i have a tachnical issue so is there any link on making coke foundry for smelting ?
Steel producing is not done near me its in karachi on other end of pakistan!
I will try to see if i can make coke coal! Thanks

rickzeien said:
ashir said:

Why not just use LPG with a blower?

I posted pics that were done by same as you mention! Lpg with blower , but why it took 3 hours?
And if you see my posts there is regular issue to me that i can not find things that i need,
They use such thing on the burner sideimage.jpg
They not let me to see this and even they were angry why i am taking pictures!

I am not sure why it took 3 hours. Maybe their furnace is not efficient. Maybe the burner or the furnace refractory is not designed properly.

A properly constructed a LPG furnace should work fine.

Here is an example of a Gas furnace built in India.

https://m.indiamart.com/proddetail/floor-model-air-amp-gas-furnace-10631344673.html

ashir said:
eastky2 said:

That stone coke was not work for me , it was just red as a metal but not produce such heat that can do smelting. May be i have a tachnical issue so is there any link on making coke foundry for smelting ?
Steel producing is not done near me its in karachi on other end of pakistan!
I will try to see if i can make coke coal! Thanks
You need air blowing on the coke to raise the temperature. As any fire to get the heat to rise you need oxygen or a air flow. The more air the hotter the flame is. No forced air the fuel being coke will not burn as fast or as hot.

I don't know if you can search youtube. If you can do a search on youtube search for making coke from coal.

You want what is called block or lump coal. the people on youtube are using stoker coal you don't want that.

rickzeien said:
I am not sure why it took 3 hours. Maybe their furnace is not efficient. Maybe the burner or the furnace refractory is not designed properly.

https://m.indiamart.com/proddetail/floor-model-air-amp-gas-furnace-10631344673.html

I would think it took 3 hours because they didn't have a blower. Propane is a oxygen scavenger and without a blower or forced air into the flame all the propane blower is doing is heating the metal and not melting it.
propane burns all the available oxygen producing co2. Without air being introduced its a mute point.

A propane furnace will only get so hot without a blower.

eastky2 said:
rickzeien said:

I would think it took 3 hours because they didn't have a blower. Propane is a oxygen scavenger and without a blower or forced air into the flame all the propane blower is doing is heating the metal and not melting it.
propane burns all the available oxygen producing co2. Without air being introduced its a mute point.

I can see a blower attach to it, might be you not notice it! Its good for an idea only, we can not purchase machinery from india now a days, hope it will reopen soon!
And thanks to guide, i search a lot videos on youtube today, hope i can make it by myself, thanks alot

If you use LPG to fire your furnace you do not need a "blower" to bring your furnace up to temp

I have two furnaces the smaller one - which takes a #4 crucible uses compressed air run at about 5 psi to bring the furnace up to temp

the larger furnace which takes up to a #40 crucible uses a self aspirating burner as the air intake

:arrow: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20140&p=205871&hilit=burner#p205871

Kurt

So i recieved smelted crucibles, i broke them :eek: :eek: :eek: and what i get is image.jpg
Tonight i am going to absorb lead in Portland cement homemade cupel. I got a burner that run on lpg , i do not know it will work or not,
I will post more results
image.jpg

Burner not work fine for me
It did nothing again!
I have some questions

Dore bar i get from smelting still have slag very hard attaced with it, is there any problem to not properly clean it?
Plane Portland cement is not mentioned on pa kings as i already discuss it with gaurave , i use normal avail construction cement, it not absorb any lead!!is Portland cement is diffrent from normal construction cement?
What will be the proper setup for cupelation? Which type of burner will work fine

Can i process lead dore bar directly in nitric acid
! I know it will consume too much acid but i can not arrange cupellation . I try melting a dore bar bat lead drops comes out and baar body is same as it is !
So sy the moment i want use nitric to dissolve it, ( some slag is still stuck with it)

kurtak said:
If you use LPG to fire your furnace you do not need a "blower" to bring your furnace up to temp

I have two furnaces the smaller one - which takes a #4 crucible uses compressed air run at about 5 psi to bring the furnace up to temp

the larger furnace which takes up to a #40 crucible uses a self aspirating burner as the air intake

:arrow: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20140&p=205871&hilit=burner#p205871

Kurt
What is compressed air? Is it not a blower in general? Your are taking air from a air compressor and feeding it to the area of the crucible. Without that added air your crucible wouldn't get hot enough.

Your bigger crucible you say doesn't need added air. I can say without a doubt your bigger crucible isn't being contained in a closed chamber type area. You have a air inlet below the crucible to draw in air to make the propane burner burn properly and get up to temperature.

LPG is a scavenger of oxygen.

ashir said:
eastky2 said:
rickzeien said:

I can see a blower attach to it, might be you not notice it! Its good for an idea only, we can not purchase machinery from india now a days, hope it will reopen soon!
And thanks to guide, i search a lot videos on youtube today, hope i can make it by myself, thanks alot
Do a search for backyard metal casting. Its a forum dedicated to doing metal casting. Plenty of burner setups on there. just read for awhile and don't ask questions until you have tried a few different setups.

If it needs to be melted and poured that is the forum you need to be reading.

Backyard metal casting is the thing that works ,
I put question because i am living in an area where people are not aware about many things related to refining and are not machanically experienced,
I can not find necessary equipment or even no accessories so i can prepare them by myself
For example i buy a waste oil burner and its shipping cost was 2 times more than its orignal cost
Actually i was looking for old ideas as i post lpg burner pics i saw in a city, quite old !
Well backyard metal casting may help for us! Thanks alot

Missing the most important point.....is not about the fuel....is all about O2.
In any set up...providing as much as you can ...oxigen is the fuel.
Oxy acetylene.....C2H2+O2....
C2H2 will burn ...only results with be carbon and low temperature.
You can use any type of fuel ......if you can provide enough O2.

Got it? This is why they used peroxide in the first jet engine....H2O2

Back