Smelting/mechanical

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, I found the same thing--Wolfram comes from wolf rahm, named by a German guy. So now we're down to 10 elements with Latin-derived symbols.

Edit: Fine. Lupi spuma is Latin, so we'll call it 10-1/2.

knofan said:
Hey Shark

Depopulating boards is no biggi, i have found equipment for that. My problem is to find a good way to handle the components after it has been separated from the board.

Do you have a business in this field now? What size is your business?

No, I don't have a business. I am officially disabled, but like to keep my mind busy.

Nice!
I haven't checked for Danish and Icelandic but it is the same for Norwegian.
Kalium, Natrium, Wolfram and so on.
So I guess it is a Norse thing :wink:
BR PoA

g_axelsson said:
Interesting, Kalium, Natrium and Wolfram is the Swedish words for those elements. Wolfram is probably not latin but has German roots, "wolf soot". (In Latin it's "Lupi spuma")

And to add an extra twist to it... Tungsten comes from Swedish "tung sten" for "heavy stone" but in Sweden we use wolfram while English speaking countries uses the Swedish word. :lol:

At the time there were many different heavy minerals with unknown composition so it was often named by "Mine name"-tungsten, for example Bastnäs tungsten which later were called Cerite from the small mine in Bastnäs where it was found and was the source for the discovery of cerium.

Göran

When I was young I remember many old people whom used "tungsten" for wolfram.
I think I recall the blacksmith using it, he had his shop set up close to the school.
He probably was closer to 80 years old at that point.

Latest posts

Back