• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

[SOLD] Approx 45lbs of gold-plated contact pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His first reply was right on the spot. He did offered advice to seller about where he can get the most money for his material.
I have seen pins going for much more than 100$/pound. If you will find buyer who is willing to pay that kind of money fair play to you. Nobody is forcing buyer to make decision where to spend his money.

If you are buying coke or just plain water in restaurant or shop you are overpaying that thing by hundreds of not thousand % of its real value and you do it daily.

Pat, with all due respect, how can you say that? You just finished rightly tearing apart a scam about placer gold in another thread. But by your logic here, if someone was willing to pay whatever amount for those painted rocks, then that would be fair. I would say the two examples are different extremes, but essentially the same thing.

Now darn it, I said I didn’t want to get into this conversation, but now I have. Oh well. My central point is that accepting – and especially seeking out – higher value for materials when you know there is less value contained therein is poor taste, at best. There are a lot of gray areas in our particular subset of scrap. Some items have collectible value, whether mineral specimen or electronic component, and so be it. But otherwise there’s no more honor in selling [hypothetically] $20/lb pins on ebay for $100 than in purchasing the island of Manhattan for a box of beads.

And by the way, my comments here have nothing to do with the specific material that was offered for sale in this thread. I don’t believe the true value of that material is yet known (unless, again, the buyer has happened to have worked with it before). Whatever deal was struck was done in full disclosure, and I don’t begrudge the parties involved, whoever they may be.

Well I have said it before and I will say it again. No one is forcing anyone to purchase scrap gold over on E-Bay. Do they over pay? Well, that's not really for you to say. You can say they paid more that you were willing to pay for it, and that would be a true statement. But, if the item is described correctly with no mention to yields given, whatever someone is willing to pay is up to them. Do you really think gold scrap is the only thing ever sold on auction that people over pay for? Not even close.

I have a 71 Hemi Cuda. I want to sell it. Now I could sell it barbiedolls.com and get what ever someone offers, Or, I could sell it at musclecars.com and get fair market value. So where would you sell the car?

You’re missing my point. I’ll concede exceptions all day long for items with collectible value. Otherwise, I’ve made my argument fairly clear I think. Just one of those things we won't agree on.

MGH said:
Pat, with all due respect, how can you say that? You just finished rightly tearing apart a scam about placer gold in another thread. But by your logic here, if someone was willing to pay whatever amount for those painted rocks, then that would be fair. I would say the two examples are different extremes, but essentially the same thing.

Now darn it, I said I didn’t want to get into this conversation, but now I have. Oh well. My central point is that accepting – and especially seeking out – higher value for materials when you know there is less value contained therein is poor taste, at best. There are a lot of gray areas in our particular subset of scrap. Some items have collectible value, whether mineral specimen or electronic component, and so be it. But otherwise there’s no more honor in selling [hypothetically] $20/lb pins on ebay for $100 than in purchasing the island of Manhattan for a box of beads.

And by the way, my comments here have nothing to do with the specific material that was offered for sale in this thread. I don’t believe the true value of that material is yet known (unless, again, the buyer has happened to have worked with it before). Whatever deal was struck was done in full disclosure, and I don’t begrudge the parties involved, whoever they may be.

But.
Those are two very different things. They cant be compared. OP here clearly stated what he is offering, the other thing was scam where they lied about content of that picture, subsequent site with investment offer was outright scam.
Saying that they are essentially the same is like saying water is essentially the same as vodka. They are liquids aren't they?

MGH said:
accepting – and especially seeking out – higher value for materials when you know there is less value contained therein is poor taste, at best.

How do you know?
This is a thing we see and accept in our everyday life. Price of water, food, electricity you name it is greatly inflated or we think so.
Without assay one cant say he know value content. It may be only guess, sometimes educated guess but it will always be a gamble.
Deal is between parties involved.
My problem with this kind of debate is actually double standards people do have. People who happen to buy or find valuable stuff for fraction of its cost are seen as heroes and get job well done praise. Why? Because everyone want to be in that position and hope about the same happening to him.
Up until Lou replied and OP found additional details about them it was just a guess game and 100$/pound was not out of the question.

General statements about honesty and what is moral and what not - this is very disputable and subjective. I would not sell my pins for 15$/pound and let me tell you I would have hard time to accept less than 100$/pound. Do you know why? I took/pry/snipe out of board and connectors every single one of them. That is why I value them more than someone may be willing to accept but main point is I do not force him to buy them from me. That mean most of the people here would never buy them from me but there are people out there who will pay that amount as they may want to see reaction or perhaps they may want to use them for who-knows-what. I also happen to believe that gold will probably increase its value and I am quite happy to overpay for certain things and ask for more when selling the other. I am not day to day trader too concerned about today's spot price, I am talking about years perhaps decades. Am I thief? Scammer? Crook? What am I?

patnor1011 said:
But.
Those are two very different things. They cant be compared. OP here clearly stated what he is offering, the other thing was scam where they lied about content of that picture, subsequent site with investment offer was outright scam.
MGH said:
patnor1011 said:
MGH said:
accepting – and especially seeking out – higher value for materials when you know there is less value contained therein is poor taste, at best.

How do you know?...
I don’t know. I didn’t claim to know. I’m talking about when the seller knows, or even when they seller has a reasonable estimate and still aims to sell at many times the actual value.

Palladium said:
72chevel said:
Since you mentioned the Cuda can you post a picture? :mrgreen:
And a price!

2014 Seattle auction at a S this 71 Cuda Hemi convertible sold for $3.500.000.00.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5tQm8HBB2Y[/youtube]

I think the feeling for MGN ( I hope) is the seller offered it here there is no reason to send them to another site to offer there goods. I think that is the sour taste to some. The stock was from a one time poster that has no vested interest in the forum who searched and came to this forum not eBay Let's keep it here.

If this isn't right for MGN I can see it as a passing thought I had when I saw saddles post.

I put in my bid and came up short too. 8)

Eric

Well I thought the question the OP was pretty simple, where can I get the most money for this material. I gave him the correct answer.

Harold always tell us to be truthful when dealing with each other on the site. I was being truthful.

I had no interest in buying the material at any time. I only asked the selling price so myself and other members could learn what someone here would be willing to pay for the material, untested. I did not ask who bought it, only the price. What's the harm?

Send him to another site? Well, we do that here all the time. I can't even start to count the times people on this board have said "E-Bay it".

I stand by my answer! :)

You have heard of a site called E-Bay right? $100.00 a pound is not out of the question over there.
$100 per pound?? I've got over 14 pounds of gold plated mil-spec pins that I don't know what to do with. I have started melting some down into buttons but the gold hasn't been separated form the copper yet. I'm not sure how to do that by heat.

If you want to sell them here or refine them yourself, stop melting them into bars and buttons. It complicates the process.

$100 per pound?? I've got over 14 pounds of gold plated mil-spec pins that I don't know what to do with. I have started melting some down into buttons but the gold hasn't been separated form the copper yet. I'm not sure how to do that by heat.
Thats how you make an alloy. It will not separate but dissolve in the copper.

Listen to the advice given.
There is no way you can "refine" or concentrate anything by smelting in this scale.
Here is something to study for you:

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/safety.47/
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/dealing-with-waste.10539/

Suggested reading:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/the-library.101/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/when-in-doubt-cement-it-out.30236/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...le-read-this-before-you-post-about-ore.33333/

Forum rules is here.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

These are just some of my pins. When I started pulling and saving pins, gold was around 500-600 and ounce. Think about it. Just by sitting on them the value has jumped 400%. Best part is after pulling them, I have not touched them, yet the value goes up.
So yes, I still think that when the time rolls around for me to hang up the spurs, E-Bay will still be the way to go for the best money.

Attachments

• pinzzz.jpg
    pinzzz.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 0
These are just some of my pins. When I started pulling and saving pins, gold was around 500-600 and ounce. Think about it. Just by sitting on them the value has jumped 400%. Best part is after pulling them, I have not touched them, yet the value goes up.
So yes, I still think that when the time rolls around for me to hang up the spurs, E-Bay will still be the way to go for the best money.
No wonder I could not find them :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Nice batch.

Back