sulfuric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungry

I have a 15 gallon carboy of sulfuric acid that I need to transfer to smaller containers. I was wondering if I could use new five gallon gasoline containers for the purpose. I have the carboy sitting in the bed of my truck and it is too heavy to move as is. It would be easier to siphon at that height. Any suggestions?

Thanks

ED

Check to see if they are high density polyethylene. If so, they will work fine. Mark them so there's no confusion.

Don't get any in your mouth.

Don't fill the containers more than half full or so. H2SO4 is very heavy and a full container may be hazardous to manhandle around.

Keep a bucket of Sodium Bicarbonate solution in case of an accident.

Wear safety googles and clothes you can do without. If you do get some on your clothing, I've found that if you soak them in bicarb solution within a short period, they won't suffer any damage.

Thanks Iron and Noxx for your quick replies.
I will be using a battery acid syringe to start the flow as I do not believe the acid is much of a thirst quencher or flavorful either. The carboy weighs 215# and is 66 Baum, so I am quite conscious of the safety factor.
I appreciate the warnings of caution.

Again thanks to you both

ED

Latest posts

Back