Summer metal detector finds

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are some wonderful pieces you have there, such a nice deep rich color also.

When I was younger, I found alot of fossils and fossilized wood, some nice stones, and what we used to call River glass (it's clear/green and looks like a small piece of Kryptonite from the old Superman movies)

I actually just bought a panning kit the other day. The entire area around here is made of a "terminal moraine" from part of the glacier that came down from Lake Erie. We have the nice valleys with the creek at the bottom and the high hills that are basically straight up, where you can find fossils etc. There's some old clay mines and I believe there's an old silver mine around here somewhere also. Plus there's MANY winding creeks in this general area. If I come across anything worthwhile, I'll be posting it.

For now, panning the remains from incinerated IC chips is good practice.

Edit - There's always a few people around town that I see with their metal detectors, but I've never gotten a chance to ask if they found anything interesting around here. I had 1 when I was little, but only found things like bottlecaps, and some coins. It is a very interesting hobby, and I may get back into it, because of the newer styles of Garrett etc that are out there. The 1 I had back then, was just a cheap kids toy that just made a loud buzz when I was right ontop of something on the ground, no digging involved.

There is a difference between the machines designed for coins and those designed for gold. While a coin machine could find a large nugget near the surface in mildly mineralized soils, many of the places where nuggets occur are well mineralized, and large surface nuggets are rare to say the least.
Gold machines are designed to see very small targets and to see them deep and handle strong mineralization with ease.
There are some do it all machines which do a passable job with both, but a machine specialized for gold will always outdo a machine designed to do general detecting.
While there certainly is gold to be found detecting in schools and parks (I have found jewelry this way), it is better to have a machine designed for the application you intend to perform.

It looks like I'd have to get 2 different ones then. I've always wanted the type that has the screen built in, so you basically know exactly what you're looking at, could find gold, silver, or jewelry, that might be down 2 feet or deeper, and the other type would be the same depth, but mainly for coins. I'll have to look into it more. I know I wouldn't be getting a cheap 1 from Walmart this time.

The one guy I always see is either at the school or the soccer field, the others are usually wandering around the parks in the area.

There are some machines designed to do both. They are a compromise, but capable in many cases. A bit more expensive than the most basic coin machines, but still not too expensive. Generally, the nugget specialty machines are the most expensive of all. For crazy folks like me, I want to have the best and I am willing to pay for it. :lol:

Grelko said:
The one guy I always see is either at the school or the soccer field, the others are usually wandering around the parks in the area.

Those are the guys that are picking lose change and a few bits of jewelry. Or just killing time waiting on a kids game to start/end. :lol:

Reno Chris said:
Here are some of my detector finds from this past summer. Cold weather is upon me here in Nevada and time to think about next year, maybe process some scrap and a few other tasks. Still it was a good year prospecting and this is only a part of my finds......
The three largest nuggets at the top are (from left to right) 0.52 ounces, 1.1 ounces and 0.41 ounces.

Boy I looked at that wrong! I assumed that was the top of a large plastic storage bin. Zonkers! I almost fell back in my chair. Very nice, I will have to get some pictures uploaded of my last ventures out ever, now. I'm getting to old to be out in the river. I will be changing to metal detecting along with the other senior citizens. I have quit a bit of consitrates saved up over the last few years. I have cleaned the black sands down to quarter minus or below, taking the pickers out for Jewlery sales online. I found over the years that is where the money is at. I waiting now to find someone to refine the consitrates. Someone mentioned doing a add selling pre-loaded pay dirt on eBay, but if I'm going to do that I might as well finish the job. We are looking to buy a new fifth wheel with the cache and a few new toys. Good finds.

Thanks, Danno.

Back