Tantalum Capacitor Scrap Purchasing -- International

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran several buckets of the red capped ones many years ago and I'm thinking they ran about 40% silver. The green capped ones about 25%. However, it's been a long time.

goldsilverpro said:
I ran several buckets of the red capped ones many years ago and I'm thinking they ran about 40% silver. The green capped ones about 25%. However, it's been a long time.

Which if you mix everything in together would equal to about 30% -- The most commonly found Silver / Tantalum Capacitors do not have the red caps on the top.

ferrous said:
I have been harvesting these what category do they go in ?
They look like MLCC (Monolithic Ceramic Capacitors). If they are, then those would most likely be palladium and maybe silver bearing items.

Kevin

necromancer said:
those orange smd capacitors are tantilum
Thanks for the info. Good to know. I think I saw them on some motherboards? or some other boards I can't think of right now.

It feels good to learn something new everyday.

Kevin

video cards & telecom boards is where i see those orange Ta caps, as the age of the board matters, now the newer boards have the yellow or black epoxy type smd Ta caps

necromancer said:
video cards & telecom boards is where i see those orange Ta caps, as the age of the board matters, now the newer boards have the yellow or black epoxy type smd Ta caps
Yes. That's where I saw those. I stripped some video cards and telecom boards before.

Kevin

ferrous said:
I got these from a old school hard drive :)
You're absolutely correct too. I had taken apart some old hard drives and I do remember seeing some on some of the boards, I believe the big hard drives that remind me of the 4-1/4" flimsy floppy drives.

Kevin

ferrous said:
I would say that the orange surface mount components doesn't look like tantalum at all. Tantalum capacitors are polarized with a + and a - side and usually goes boom if you connect them the wrong way, that is why there always is some sort of marking where the + or - side is. Look at the pictures earlier in the thread.
These don't have any markings at all.

Tantalum capacitors are also containing a little bit of electrolyte and are sealed in some way, the orange components looks like they only are painted on top a quite compact body. No molded plastics encasing a tantalum slug.

MLCC:s have a metalized end cap that can be soldered directly, tantalum electrolytes have a lead going in to the tantalum inside the plastic body. The orange ones doesn't have a lead but a metalized end cap.

Cut one open and look at the inside. A black hard metal slug then it's tantalum. If it is a brownish brittle component with submetallic luster and very fine layers then it sounds like a MLCC. There are a couple of other components it also could be, like transient suppressors, inductors and so on.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
ferrous said:
I would say that the orange surface mount components doesn't look like tantalum at all. Tantalum capacitors are polarized with a + and a - side and usually goes boom if you connect them the wrong way, that is why there always is some sort of marking where the + or - side is. Look at the pictures earlier in the thread.
These don't have any markings at all.

Tantalum capacitors are also containing a little bit of electrolyte and are sealed in some way, the orange components looks like they only are painted on top a quite compact body. No molded plastics encasing a tantalum slug.

MLCC:s have a metalized end cap that can be soldered directly, tantalum electrolytes have a lead going in to the tantalum inside the plastic body. The orange ones doesn't have a lead but a metalized end cap.

Cut one open and look at the inside. A black hard metal slug then it's tantalum. If it is a brownish brittle component with submetallic luster and very fine layers then it sounds like a MLCC. There are a couple of other components it also could be, like transient suppressors, inductors and so on.

Göran

If you look at the picture you can see some that have the paint removed and the ta slug exposed.
As for markings I think its a age factor and that's why they have none
The paint itself could seal the unit but as soon as I remove them the paint chips off.
As for weight these little guys add up fast because the packaging is not much
Just want to know what category they fall under or if there is a price on ta slugs I don't mind spending some time cleaning them

I belive that pin sticking out on one side of those orange tantalums is marking for polarity. I think it is actually tantalum wire coming from centre of pallet.

I think you are correct, there is a pin sticking out of one end of the components and that is a telltale of the connection of the positive end of the tantalum slug. Then I found this image that shows I was wrong and it in deed is a tantalum capacitor.
Polarity-rectangular-chips.jpg

Göran

most of the information i have about Ta caps was gathered with the help of Etack.
he has always been 100% correct on these matters

necromancer said:
most of the information i have about Ta caps was gathered with the help of Etack.

Agreed Dave however none of us know everything, and should always be willing to learn something new.

spaceships said:
necromancer said:

Agreed Dave however none of us know everything, and should always be willing to learn something new.

double agreed, if we all knew everything there would be gold refining forum & definitely no ewaste for us to gather PM's from :!:

by my post i meant that i Etack has solid knowledge on this subject, not that he is never wrong. i must admit, i have not seen him give any wrong info on Ta caps.

Back