Tantalum Capacitor Scrap Purchasing -- International

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
g_axelsson said:
ferrous said:
I have been harvesting these what category do they go in ?
I would say that the orange surface mount components doesn't look like tantalum at all. Tantalum capacitors are polarized with a + and a - side and usually goes boom if you connect them the wrong way, that is why there always is some sort of marking where the + or - side is. Look at the pictures earlier in the thread.
These don't have any markings at all.

Tantalum capacitors are also containing a little bit of electrolyte and are sealed in some way, the orange components looks like they only are painted on top a quite compact body. No molded plastics encasing a tantalum slug.

MLCC:s have a metalized end cap that can be soldered directly, tantalum electrolytes have a lead going in to the tantalum inside the plastic body. The orange ones doesn't have a lead but a metalized end cap.

Cut one open and look at the inside. A black hard metal slug then it's tantalum. If it is a brownish brittle component with submetallic luster and very fine layers then it sounds like a MLCC. There are a couple of other components it also could be, like transient suppressors, inductors and so on.

Göran

You are right to say that these are painted as they are -- But, these are Tantalum Capacitors.

Barren Realms 007 said:
Do you buy tantalum that the SMD's have been incinerated and the silver and other metals removed?

Please provide pictures and analysis of the material. please contact me directly on this [email protected].

The Silver content in Tantalum Capacitors is not of significance for us as the Silver content is too low for us to reclaim.

g_axelsson said:
I think you are correct, there is a pin sticking out of one end of the components and that is a telltale of the connection of the positive end of the tantalum slug. Then I found this image that shows I was wrong and it in deed is a tantalum capacitor.
Polarity-rectangular-chips.jpg

Göran

Please look at the picture attached -- These are Tantalum CCC Capacitors

Attachments

• CCC Anodes.jpg
    CCC Anodes.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 463
  • Tantalum CCC Capacitors.jpg
    Tantalum CCC Capacitors.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 464
lease provide pictures and analysis of the material. please contact me directly on this [email protected].

The Silver content in Tantalum Capacitors is not of significance for us as the Silver content is too low for us to reclaim.

Even in those: ......like in the picture....?

Is 40% Ag.....40% Ta.....

Attachments

• Imagine1006.jpg
    Imagine1006.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 443
photo 1, 2 & 3 do not seem to have the weight of the other types of Ta caps i know of
photo 10 has the red line across the top. all of these caps i am not sure of. tracking down the numbers is sometimes very hard to do.

Ta(1).jpg

Ta(2).jpg

On the second picture ...you have Ta in the first and the 8....
An the first picture the 2 and 3 is and LED and an phototransistor (optocoupler)...

johnny309 said:
lease provide pictures and analysis of the material. please contact me directly on this [email protected].

Even in those: ......like in the picture....?

Is 40% Ag.....40% Ta.....

Thank you for this picture -- These are Silver / Tantalum Capacitors (WET) Acid Content inside -- Not regular Tantalum Capacitors. Regular Tantalum Capacitors have insignificant amounts of Silver on them.

These capacitors are processed differently then the other regular Tantalum Capacitors.
We indicate different pricing for Silver Tantalum Capacitors and Regular Tantalum Capacitors.

On a side note - These capacitors are no longer produced.
We are interested in purchasing the Tantalum taken out of these capacitors.

Tantalum Recycling
1701 NW 93rd Avenue
Doral, Florida 33172
E: [email protected]
W: www.tantalumrecycling.com

necromancer said:
photo 1, 2 & 3 do not seem to have the weight of the other types of Ta caps i know of
photo 10 has the red line across the top. all of these caps i am not sure of. tracking down the numbers is sometimes very hard to do.

View attachment 1

Number 2 and 3 -- I am honestly not sure if they are Tantalum - I have never seen multiple leads coming out of a hermetic capacitors.

Number 12 is not a Tantalum capacitor - this a Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor.

Tantalum Recycling
1701 NW 93rd Avenue
Doral, Florida 33172

TantalumRecycle said:
necromancer said:

View attachment 1

Number 2 and 3 -- I am honestly not sure if they are Tantalum - I have never seen multiple leads coming out of a hermetic capacitors.

Double cap ...side by side .... Ta capacitor.......as for the "tear" drop capacitor....the Ag content will be around to 1-3%.... the SMD is less ....not worth recover if you not have several hundred kilos..........
What will be the price for the Ta powder from those wet Ta caps ?

johnny309 said:
TantalumRecycle said:
necromancer said:

View attachment 1

Double cap ...side by side .... Ta capacitor.......as for the "tear" drop capacitor....the Ag content will be around to 1-3%.... the SMD is less ....not worth recover if you not have several hundred kilos..........
What will be the price for the Ta powder from those wet Ta caps ?

Our company processes 65 m/t per year of Tantalum Capacitors -- It is not worth it for us to extract Silver from regular Epoxy or SMD capacitors. I am not sure that on the tear drops there is that much Silver but i might be mistaken.

I am not sure how you are processing these Silver Tantalum Capacitors - We do not receive powder in our process - Do you have any idea what the powder content is?

Attachments

• Boards with Tantalum Capacitors (2).jpg
    Boards with Tantalum Capacitors (2).jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 366
  • Boards with Tantalum Capacitors 5.jpg
    Boards with Tantalum Capacitors 5.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 366
  • Boards with Tantalum.jpg
    Boards with Tantalum.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 366
Please find attached more pictures with boards that have Tantalum Attached to the board.

Tantalum SMD Capacitors and Tantalum Epoxy Capacitors

Tantalum Recycling Corp
1701 NW 93rd Avenue
Doral, Florida 33172
W: http://www.tantalumrecycling.com

Attachments

• Boards with Tantalum nov 2014.JPG
    Boards with Tantalum nov 2014.JPG
    539.4 KB · Views: 335
  • boards with epoxy.jpg
    boards with epoxy.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 335
  • Boards with Tantalum Capacitors 2.jpg
    Boards with Tantalum Capacitors 2.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 334
  • Boards with ta.jpg
    Boards with ta.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 335
Tantalum CCC Capacitors --- We are currently paying $30/Lb for this type.

Tantalum Recycling
1701 NW 93rd Avenue
Doral, Florida 33172

Attachments

• Different Types of Tantalum Capacitors 6.jpg
    Different Types of Tantalum Capacitors 6.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 264
  • CCC Capacitors 33.jpg
    CCC Capacitors 33.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Tantalum CCC Capacitors 4.jpg
    Tantalum CCC Capacitors 4.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 264
As a, hopefully, useful bit of information: It helps to tell which capacitors are tantalum when the manufacturer is kind enough to label the board with different designations for them from the other types. :mrgreen:

Pictured is a 486 mobo ca 1993 made by Magitronic. Note the TCxxx for the two tantalum capacitors in the center and right center of the picture where the other two types are labeled Cxxx and BCxxx.

Now, if somebody happens to know what that BCxxx is . . . Just curious about that.

Attachments

• 20141228_140221.jpg
    20141228_140221.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 208
mwaurelius said:
Now, if somebody happens to know what that BCxxx is . . . Just curious about that.
That should be a MLCC and based on age it probably contains palladium and silver.

Similar capacitors : http://www.vishay.com/capacitors/list/product-45164/

Göran

Back