Tantalum Capacitor Scrap Purchasing -- International

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
necromancer said:
what are the markings directly under "BC18" for the long black SMD ?

thanks.

The last piece in your above picture, and I think the one your talking about here, was described to me as an SIP, Single Inline Pole (?) Similar to an IC, but with one set of legs. I was also told they can contain silver or palladium. I haven't been able to confirm that yet, but I have been sorting them into their own container until I have enough to do something with. I think Geo was the one who described that to me, but I can't be sure as it has been a while since then.

necromancer said:
what are the markings directly under "BC18" for the long black SMD ?

thanks.
It should be something with R as it looks like a single in line resistor array. By the way I think you mean SIL, SMD means Surface Mounted Device and there is no surface mounted components seen on that card.

Göran

Göran:

ACK! And I've been throwing those away after learning they weren't tantalum! :oops: Thanks for the info, now I know where to sort those.

necromancer:

It's not really an SMD, the pins go through the board. They are marked RPxxx, which I think stands for resistor pack. I've been keeping the more modern SMD versions for (I hope) silver solder recovery, but these old ones I break off and toss when they are in the way of recovering other components, pins, etc.

As you can probably tell, I'm hand processing. It might not be profitable, but it's good for learning . . . and boy do I have a lot of that to do.

Mark

thanks to all.

i am always getting some conflicting information about components in general. (not from GRF)

mwaurelius said:
Göran:

ACK! And I've been throwing those away after learning they weren't tantalum! :oops: Thanks for the info, now I know where to sort those.
I've said it before and I will probably say it many times more, use pliers to cut any unknown component in half. You will see that there is a small layered ceramic body inside that capacitor. Compare it with a surface mount MLCC and you will see the similarities. Just as in refining, testing is the key to know what you have and a piece of plastic with two pins sticking out can hide a lot of different kind of components.
A loupe or microscope is a good tool to have though. I never leave home without my loupe.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
I've said it before and I will probably say it many times more, use pliers to cut any unknown component in half. You will see that there is a small layered ceramic body inside that capacitor. Compare it with a surface mount MLCC and you will see the similarities. Just as in refining, testing is the key to know what you have and a piece of plastic with two pins sticking out can hide a lot of different kind of components.
A loupe or microscope is a good tool to have though. I never leave home without my loupe.

Göran

this may be printed on my next t-shirt 8)

mwaurelius said:
As a, hopefully, useful bit of information: It helps to tell which capacitors are tantalum when the manufacturer is kind enough to label the board with different designations for them from the other types. :mrgreen:

Pictured is a 486 mobo ca 1993 made by Magitronic. Note the TCxxx for the two tantalum capacitors in the center and right center of the picture where the other two types are labeled Cxxx and BCxxx.

Now, if somebody happens to know what that BCxxx is . . . Just curious about that.

The two larger yellow capacitors are Yellow Epoxy Capacitors - The others are not.

g_axelsson said:
mwaurelius said:
Now, if somebody happens to know what that BCxxx is . . . Just curious about that.
That should be a MLCC and based on age it probably contains palladium and silver.

Similar capacitors : http://www.vishay.com/capacitors/list/product-45164/

Göran

The Egg Drop shaped capacitors are actually Tantalum Capacitors

g_axelsson said:
mwaurelius said:
Göran:

Göran

I agree with the above quote -- With Tantalum you will see a metal with a white lining around it - on MLCC it will be cut fairly easy and you will see there is barely anything in the middle

TantalumRecycle said:
g_axelsson said:
mwaurelius said:
That should be a MLCC and based on age it probably contains palladium and silver.

Similar capacitors : http://www.vishay.com/capacitors/list/product-45164/

Göran

The Egg Drop shaped capacitors are actually Tantalum Capacitors

The remaining are MLCC Capacitors

if in doubt keep things till identified, you can easily dispose of them later but it is harder to get them back if after you have disposed of them you find they contain values.

for capacitors if marked with the polarity and not a normal electrolytic they go in the tantalum bin, if unmarked blob or block they go in MLCC bin and thanks to this thread I now know more.
doubt I will collect enough to be worthwhile for a long time yet.

thank you for this thread to help identify things

here are a few I have gathered, most I am reasonably certain of but the types I am less sure of are the blob in the middle and the large metal can types ( these are from about 12mm diameter down to 4mm diameter ).

SAM_0322.JPG

the iron dwarf said:
here are a few I have gathered, most I am reasonably certain of but the types I am less sure of are the blob in the middle and the large metal can types ( these are from about 12mm diameter down to 4mm diameter ).
Cut them open and you will see what they are made of. Hint, not all in that box is tantalum.

Göran

the iron dwarf said:

Thank you very much for the picture --- The metal cased capacitors in your bin is not Tantalum Capacitors -- They are Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors.

All of the questionably marked capacitors are not Tantalum Capacitors. But everything else are definitely Tantalum Capacitors

the iron dwarf said:
if in doubt keep things till identified, you can easily dispose of them later but it is harder to get them back if after you have disposed of them you find they contain values.

for capacitors if marked with the polarity and not a normal electrolytic they go in the tantalum bin, if unmarked blob or block they go in MLCC bin and thanks to this thread I now know more.
doubt I will collect enough to be worthwhile for a long time yet.

thank you for this thread to help identify things

Our company now purchases MLCC Capacitors as well.

I thank you for your help T R and other posters here too, I will continue collecting what I can ( and will discard the electrolytics, the small glass beads I collected because they were marked with polarity and had C followed by a number on the board by them ).

Back