• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

The Illustrated Guide to Gold Recovery from Foil

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kane333 said:
Hi Joe and Steve, in my haste, I placed the order on Joe's site, before reading the posts about ordering from Steve's site. I misread that Steve's site ships internationally, making me think "only" for those who need international shipping. My mistake. Steve, I've ordered a few items from your site already. I sent you the PM the other day about you shipping me the extra copper mesh. Can we change this order so it goes through Steve? Im sure it would save on shipping costs. Sorry about the confusion.

Joe E.

Joe
I've already dropped in the mailbox. No worries I put a flyer in every envelope that goes out about ordering supplies from steve's site.

Another sent to Padre Island Creations, no member name attached to this order but thanks anyway. Now only 20 left. When these are gone you will only be able to get the GRF edition from Lazersteve.

Hi Lazersteve and joem. It's been a while since I've commented on the board and intend to start posting all I've done (with pics) for the last year. I clicked both on joem's link for the book ($14.95) and on your site, Steve (which asks for $7.00 shipping and handling). I am a member of this board and have sent a few dollars to Noxx (last year though, must do it again this year). Which site should I order from? I live in Minnesota.

I wish to expand soon what I've been doing and expect to find out what I've not been doing (from you pros, including Harold, I trust all is well with him, I miss him yelling at me ~ jes' kiddin').

I've been using AP to lift gold from dishes, all kinds, and vary in success. I then drop with SMB. I filter. I dissolve in AR. I clean with HCL and then use Butyl Diglyme and drop with Oxylic solution on a hot plate. I must stir manually as I have not combination hot plate / magnetic stirrer.

I'm currently doing my first half-pound of fingers (a trial of sorts) from pc boards. I've removed all the foils and dropped some SMB into the solution to see if anything would precipitate. Nothing did. I have the emerald green solution mostly, but on the first rinse there was a dark, barely filterable substance which would settle on the lover half of the glass jar. In any case, I have the fingers now in a filter and not sure if I should just AR it, or Nitric it first (like I do after melting gold-fill/rolled gold into flakes or buttons).

Just going through many posts this morning (still winter in Minnesota, ya know) I realize I may have wasted much gold from the AP solutions from the glassware (china, stemware, etc.) but actually it's still paid for itself. And yes, Harold, I had been using Stannous. Just not lately. From my reading today, I must study the zinc aspect of precipitating any possible AU in solution from the fingers (and from my glassware). Who sells zinc, and for that matter tin, by the way (Steve, I think you sell tin by the gram, yes?)

I did an inventory and I have processed 90 grams of gold in the last year and a half since I lost my job. I estimate (not counting tax deductions for my Natural Treasures business) I paid a bit over half that to acquire all the materials and received unbelievable joy from this adventure. I might be helpful if I document those past processes as everyone I ever spoke with said there wasn't much gold on plates. Well, on certain ones (and certain stemware), there is much gold. I've not yet sold any of my gold buttons.

I also want to explore reverse electro-plate. Also will look into your info, Steve, on gold pins. I get so frustrated for what all these "gold bearing buttons" are selling for a gram on Ebay that I did a study on computer plated pins (melt, Nitric, AR, etc.) From 144 grams (melted) I obtained only 0.3 gram AU - that's about 0.21 percent. So that's barely 10 cents worth of gold per gram ($46/g), and people pay upwards of a dollar/gram????? How can they sleep at night? Heck, I get from 1 to 1.2% on mil-spec plated contacts (with color banding that I can identify as 50 micro-inches plating - which makes me suspect for any Ebay item stating "Mil Spec" and the picture shows no color banding on the contacts). As the judge states on old Boston Legal re-runs, "That's preposterous!!". That was of course only my first test.

Lastly for now, after I've dropped the gold and cleaned the Butyl Diglyme, I keep the spent solution and re-drop with SMB. I'm collecting those filters for possible PGMs. Not sure though I'll ever try to get them out. I would give them away. And as with all my solutions, after I get the gold, I drop any silver with copper, raise to 2.5 and drop copper with cast iron, then raise ph to drop iron, and in a couple occasions used ammonia and slight heat to form a yellow-green substance which I then filtered (with difficulty) and I assume that might be nickel? I've buckets of metals now. I would love to cast copper ingots. Not sure what to do with the iron remains, any ideas?

Again, sorry I've stayed away so long.

Nick

HI Nick
All your questions require one answer
Lazersteve.
I will send to anyone around the world but to support Steve and his effort order from him today.
FYI I just reached number 8 out of 100 on Google

Attachments

• key.jpg
    key.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 213
Joe,

Are you and Steve working on any other books? I hope so cause the one I seen was written very well. I seen some stuff I didn't know so I need to get it soon. Some other books I like to see how to do sterling silver, silver refinery cell and sulfuric cell that few would be nice.

If I don't get the money before you sell out will you be getting more?

Jack

Hi all,

I seen a copy of Joe book and I can't wait to get it now. I think everyone that is new should get Joe book they will ask less question. That is if they are going to do fingers.

Jack

jmdlcar said:
Hi all,

I seen a copy of Joe book and I can't wait to get it now. I think everyone that is new should get Joe book they will ask less question. That is if they are going to do fingers.

Jack

Remember it's my design and layout but LazerSteve did the editing so if you know his work then you know details are correct.Happy father's day to all those current fathers up and coming fathers and fathers that have moved on to another place

Happy Father's Day to you too Joe, it really means a lot. I lost my father almost 3 years ago, and I still haven't gotten over it. Thank you my friend.

Rusty

Back