***** The Platinumill Exposed and on Trial *****

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lou said:
It's tried and true that lead works, same for copper. Both (more often copper) are used industrially. Thing is, I don't agree with Rob's saying it's cheaper to use the lead. They (the EPA, your municipality, hell even your neighbors if you're not zoned right) can nail your ass to the wall if you're using 2000*F and VOLATILE (meaning it's got a vapor pressure!!) lead to collect values. There are stringent guidelines for dealing with lead. You'll need to have a fume scrubber (many thousands of dollars), periodic inspections, etc. It gets worse if you employ other people!

As a general note of caution to you all considering iodine, make sure you CYA very well with a business license and proper documentation and can explain all of your glassware because it's now illegal to own elemental iodine in ANY quantity. New DEA regulations, which really are pretty stupid since anyone who really wanted iodine need only get potassium or sodium iodide, but thankfully 99% of those damned methcooks aren't smart enough (if they were, they wouldn't be ruining people's lives/hobbies/ causing extra bureaucratic red tape, etc. instead they'd have real jobs!)

Lou

Any business that uses 50 pounds or more of Lead per year must file reports with the EPA.
No exceptions.

Ha, Its going to look pretty funny, me in my lab coat and respirator in my garage with tubes, barrels etc,,, I have a S.O that passes through my culdesac everyday, I'm sure i will be getting a little attention, but thats ok I know most of all the guys, I worked for the S.O back in the early 90's and I know how to handle it, I'm tight with TECQ, here also. But Rob being in Cali. is a whole other story! We did a huge tree removal job for Edison power up in Arrowhead a few years back, any of the guys that were caught smoking ciggs. were sent home immediatly! Cali. is the worst place you want to do anything......

Cali has some of the strictest EPA regulations in the world. I wiki'd it the other day. The laws there are super strict. Make sure you cross all your "T's" and dot all your "I's". I would have to imagine if they are that strict then they also would probably have stiff penalties for it as well.

Stay tuned.
Soon it won't just be California.
It's happening everywhere else too.
Sooner or later, it will all be federal laws instead of state laws.
As for the unwanted contributions to our cause by the meth industry...
you have to show a drivers license just to buy 1 package of sudafed(they keep it behind the counter) here in Ga.

Really ignorant, you can buy anything online, weed,pills, steroids etc have it shipped right to your door thanks to the easy going Canadian law or corrupt Mexico ways,,, damn near impossible for the law to do anything, it takes a federal court order to open and examine your mail,,, like they are going to do that for 1 oz of weed, A class c misd.. .... I can buy anything through the net, even a hot foreign chick!!! 8)

Froggy said:
Really ignorant, you can buy anything online, weed,pills, steroids etc have it shipped right to your door thanks to the easy going Canadian law or corrupt Mexico ways,,, damn near impossible for the law to do anything, it takes a federal court order to open and examine your mail,,, like they are going to do that for 1 oz of weed, A class c misd.. .... I can buy anything through the net, even a hot foreign chick!!! 8)

If Froggy suddenly disappears from the board, we will know what happened. :twisted:

yeah he bought some of all the above and when the credit card company got wind of the mail order chick they called the house and his wife answered. that would be why he'd come up missin' lol otherwise I think we're all stuck with him here.

I have come to a conclusion with action minings Cls26p formula, I will be running it for 30 cats and then I will get an assay. If the Rh doesnt come off with the rest of the pgm's, the I say action mining is just as bad as the platinumill guy, think about it , why would you pay 8K for any system and formula that doesnt get the Rh? what a waste. And Mikes idea of getting 40-60% of the pgm's and sending in the substrate to a smelter to recover the rest is absurd and borderline ignorant, A smelter (techemet, etc) will only take very, very lrge amounts of material, they pay you on the assay of the material crushed and assayed. You would have so much money tied up waiting to gather enough to take to the smelter, absurd for the small timer, I have been told that the cls26p is a nitric substitute...hmm Frog (Shakes, dont get too excited by this statement) :D

Thats what the guy who makes it calls it.
I'm not sure but, I don't think AR works on RH, so maybe there's some truth to it.

Hey Lou, Irons others, check out these lab guys http://www.aaassaylabs.com/reputation.htm sounds like they know their stuff, check ou there published prices! WHOEE!

I don't know if they have the most expertise at it. You know what they say: there's always someone smarter, faster, better :p

Their machines seem really old too, but if they work, they work.

And see their prices? That's why I said if I had an ICP machine I'd be making a killing.

Nitric substitute is a sissy way of saying it is a salt with nitrate in it. All you do is acidify and you have a nitric acid solution. Duh.

Aqua regia does dissolve rhodium to an extent and so does sulfuric, I've done it personally on several occasions. In my opinion, the best bet for getting rhodium into solution is to halogenate and then dissolve it in HCl. That means chlorination/bromination at high temperature.

Lou

I tried recovering PGMs from cats in 1978 with AR and decided it wasn't worth the trouble on a small scale. Nice to see nothing much has changed in the last 30 years.

I agree the equipment appears dated. and it would be tough to find a company that boasts about being 3rd rate. But what do I know. I guess as long as the end product is accurate and reliable that's all that matters.

Irons said:
I tried recovering PGMs from cats in 1978 with AR and decided it wasn't worth the trouble on a small scale. Nice to see nothing much has changed in the last 30 years.

You, too, eh?

Harold

Harold_V said:
Irons said:

You, too, eh?

Harold

Funny, I was just about to commend you for your comment on the subject.

Harold is right. The best to all of you and I hope you all find success.

I'm even crazier. I try to recover PGMs from placer deposits. They're free except for the expense of recovering them and I still can't break even. I don't see how anyone can pay for cats and expect to make a profit on such a small margin, then have to take a beating from a refiner in the end.

I do it because it is my pleasure. I would starve if I had to make a living at it.

One trip to the emergency room this summer cost me over $1000 because of Arsenic poisoning. I was trying to be careful and if I had the equipment to evaluate samples, I would have not bothered attempting to digest that particular material.

Be Careful.

Platdigger said:
Irons, Harold, let me ask you this......were you able to recover any rh from them back then?
Randy

I don't know if they were using any Rh back then. I was attempting to extract the Pt. Palladium, if there was any was only worth $60. per ounce at the time. I was recovering an average of $20. in Pt. per converter.

Platinum was about $225. per ounce and much like today, the prie was rising at a steep rate until 1980 when the prices began to come back to earth. I see a very similar situation today.

There are people investing a lot of money in precious metal recovery who may take a beating if there is a serious correction in the near future.

Irons, what were your placer deposits assay'ing out at? cyanide works wonders on the ore down in honduras

Latest posts

Back