Turkish Platinum Leach Formula

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is nothing there.

Also, stop using DMSO.
Seriously, just stop using it. Don't combine it with oxidizers. Don't put metal ions into solution with it.

I certainly agree with Lou about not using DMSO. Dangerous stuff. It can quickly carry anything dissolved in it directly through the skin and into the system. I once read that the CIA dissolved a poison in it and put it on the steering wheel of someone they wanted to assassinate.

In the late 60s or early 70s, a company in L.A. used a silver solution of it in a component they called E-cells - electrolytic (or, electronic) timing devices. Neat all gold plated components about an inch long filled with a sealed solution, if I remember right. A very small DC current deposited the silver on an internal cathode and I heard that they could be set to go off as long as 20 years in the future, accurately, depending on the current used. I assume that, when the DMSO was nearly depleted of silver, the resistance increased and this activated something. When the company decided to stop making them, a large refinery I worked for ended up with about 50 drums (2500 gallons) of this solution that contained about 2 pounds of silver per gallon. We spent about a month trying to figure out how to safely recover the silver. The silver was easy to reduce or plate out but doing it safely was another story. I'm thinking we ended up shipping it to some company that was already set up to handle it. I'm sure full body suits were involved.

Hi all

Would share this scary case with you all about DMSO and dangers of dimethylenemetals: http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19980309.html

Just don´t use it at all, is my advise.

goldsilverpro said:
I certainly agree with Lou about not using DMSO. Dangerous stuff. It can quickly carry anything dissolved in it directly through the skin and into the system. I once read that the CIA dissolved a poison in it and put it on the steering wheel of someone they wanted to assassinate.

In the late 60s or early 70s, a company in L.A. used a silver solution of it in a component they called E-cells - electrolytic (or, electronic) timing devices. Neat all gold plated components about an inch long filled with a sealed solution, if I remember right. A very small DC current deposited the silver on an internal cathode and I heard that they could be set to go off as long as 20 years in the future, accurately, depending on the current used. I assume that, when the DMSO was nearly depleted of silver, the resistance increased and this activated something. When the company decided to stop making them, a large refinery I worked for ended up with about 50 drums (2500 gallons) of this solution that contained about 2 pounds of silver per gallon. We spent about a month trying to figure out how to safely recover the silver. The silver was easy to reduce or plate out but doing it safely was another story. I'm thinking we ended up shipping it to some company that was already set up to handle it. I'm sure full body suits were involved.

I realize you may never read this considering this thread is 4 yrs old but im new here and just HAD to chime in on the subject of DMSO. Ive never heard of it being used in L.A. but i know it's used in LA. I happen to live in the only town that produces in the United States. It's a by-product of the wood industry, has been in use as a commercial lubricant since 1953. Although I DO NOT agree with them, the people here use it for pain. Believe it or not i saw a friend apply it to her horses sprained ankle and within hours he was standing again. I even know a man in his 90's who adds a teaspoon to his coffee every morning. Crazy right, i happen to know DMSO3 is a toxic nerve gas, but no one will listen. Anyway apparently it is used in the medical field for all sorts of things in 125 countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide

goldsilverpro said:

I have a few E-cells in my collection. Thanks for the info.

Back